+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CTC Softcap

CTC Softcap

I'm coming up with some conflicting information here.

My goal is to reach 102.4 using Mastery Food and Druid buff Gift of the Wild. I believe those are the only 2 buffs that would alter my CTC total (aside from elixirs which I'm not using, prefer stam Flask).

So on a character builder website I'm getting the following:

Mastery Food: 0.76 CTC increase
    Gift: 0.24 CTC increase

But in game on the paper doll I'm getting:

Mastery Food: 0.75 CTC
    Gift: 0.21 CTC

Basically my end result is trying to find out what my CTC needs to be at using buffs and mastery food.

So if I go with the paper doll in game:

102.4 - 0.96 = 101.44

So is 101.44 the soft cap I need to maintain then?
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 12-24-2011 at 04:19 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Battle shout / horn of winter or any of the other alternatives give str which gives parry and mark/kings is not a static ctc boost but based on your strength.

Thanks Takethecake, I ran the math again.

So here is what I got off in game numbers on the paper doll.

Battle Shout = 0.60%
    Gift of the Wild = 0.21%
    Mastery Food = 0.75%

Total = 1.56%

So 102.40% - 1.56% = 100.84%

However in game I was noticing a slight 0.03% difference when adding the values up by adding and removing each buff, then using the macro(the one listed here on tankspot) to note the difference. I believe this is due to diminishing returns somehow. Or there is a flaw in the macro.

In any event I think aiming for 100.90% just to be safe would be the "soft cap".
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 12-24-2011 at 04:17 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Only the mastery buffs give a static amount of CTC, Kings/Mark/shout/Horn will all vary depedning upon diminishing returns, like Kopcap says get yourself buffed in game and head to the reforger, if you're a warrior theres a Hyjal daily that wll give you kings a little way into the MF quest lne

Okay, are you on a warrior? If so, to hell with exact calculations, crit block isn't a bad thing, get yourself to 101 un-buffed and enjoy molly-whopping on bosses. If you're a Pally (don't have crit block from what I understand) then you have an excuse to be a little more precise. In which case, your raid buffs do not give you an exact number due to DR, so I still wouldn't be quite so nit-picky about it.

You are probably hitting a rounding error in the second digit after the decimal point, which would explain the 0.03% discrepancy. Never round numbers off before you are completely done.

Battle Shout = 0.60%
    Gift of the Wild = 0.21%
    Mastery Food = 0.75%

Total = 1.56%
    These numbers could actually be 0.598% from battle shout, 0.209% from GotW, when added to the 0.75% from the mastery you get 1.557%. Which rounds up to 1.56%, but is actually a little less (0.03 less to be precise).
    Last edited by Fetzie; 12-24-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Okay, are you on a warrior? If so, to hell with exact calculations, crit block isn't a bad thing, get yourself to 101 un-buffed and enjoy molly-whopping on bosses. If you're a Pally (don't have crit block from what I understand) then you have an excuse to be a little more precise. In which case, your raid buffs do not give you an exact number due to DR, so I still wouldn't be quite so nit-picky about it.
    Except at this gear level we only get crit block when we use Shield Block (as recently pointed out in another thread here on tankspot), so IMO it does matter, since anything above CTC cap is basically wasted when I could be using it for more avoidance or stam through gems, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    You are probably hitting a rounding error in the second digit after the decimal point, which would explain the 0.03% discrepancy. Never round numbers off before you are completely done.

These numbers could actually be 0.598% from battle shout, 0.209% from GotW, when added to the 0.75% from the mastery you get 1.557%. Which rounds up to 1.56%, but is actually a little less (0.03 less to be precise).
    Thank you, that does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Except at this gear level we only get crit block when we use Shield Block (as recently pointed out in another thread here on tankspot), so IMO it does matter, since anything above CTC cap is basically wasted when I could be using it for more avoidance or stam through gems, ect.
    Don't listen to everything ppl say, its not true.

I just made an addon to show the Raid buffed stats in-game.
    It works by aking your CURRENT buffs and factoring them into giving yout raid buffed CTC.

It makes a few assumptions:
    1. you will get MOTW or Kings in a raid
    2. You will get BS or HoW in a raid
    3. You use either feasts (+90 dodge) or Lavascale Minestrone (+90 Mastery).

If you Hover over the 'Raid CTC' info in your defense stats on the paperdoll, the tooltip tells you 2 things:
    1. Your CTC if you use mastery food.
    2. your CTC if you use Feasts to gain 90 dodge instead.

**NOTE**
    1. Do not have BS/HoW/Kings/MOTW/Food Buffs present when testing as the addon assumes your current stats are unbuffed ( I plan to fix this in a futurre release to check and factor in current buffs).
    2. if you use 'Resolve of undying' or a similar trinket, go hit a target dummy until you get the 10 stacks before checking the stats (I plan to fix this too in a future release to add the 10 stacks of whatever version you have equipped into the results).

The addon can be downloaded from:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/raid-defense-stats

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Thanks Takethecake, I ran the math again.

So here is what I got off in game numbers on the paper doll.

Battle Shout = 0.60%
    Gift of the Wild = 0.21%
    Mastery Food = 0.75%

Total = 1.56%

So 102.40% - 1.56% = 100.84%

However in game I was noticing a slight 0.03% difference when adding the values up by adding and removing each buff, then using the macro(the one listed here on tankspot) to note the difference. I believe this is due to diminishing returns somehow. Or there is a flaw in the macro.

In any event I think aiming for 100.90% just to be safe would be the "soft cap".
    The difference IS the diminishing returns. Took me a while to figure that one out when writing the formulae for the addon.
    Battle shout on its own will add 0.60% to YOUR character.
    Goft of the wild on its OWN will add 0,21% to YOUR character, but the total when BOTH are applied is slightly less than the 0.81% that you would expect.

I just made an addon to show the Raid buffed stats in-game.
    It works by aking your CURRENT buffs and factoring them into giving your raid buffed CTC.
    (It is based on the excellent DefStats but gives more information )

It makes a few assumptions:
    1. you will get MOTW or Kings in a raid
    2. You will get BS or HoW in a raid
    3. You use either feasts (+90 dodge) or Lavascale Minestrone (+90 Mastery).

If you Hover over the 'Raid CTC' info in your defense stats on the paperdoll, the tooltip tells you 2 things:
    1. Your CTC if you use mastery food.
    2. your CTC if you use Feasts to gain 90 dodge instead.
    (In both cases it includes MOTW/Kings and BS/HoW into the equation)
    This is then broken down into Your Dodge%, Parry% and block% so you can see your Parry: dodge ratio when buffed.

**NOTE**
    1. Do not have BS/HoW/Kings/MOTW/Food Buffs present when testing as the addon assumes your current stats are unbuffed ( I plan to fix this in a futurre release to check and factor in current buffs).
    2. if you use 'Resolve of undying' or a similar trinket, go hit a target dummy until you get the 10 stacks before checking the stats (I plan to fix this too in a future release to add the 10 stacks of whatever version you have equipped into the results).

The addon can be downloaded from:

RaidDefenseStats.jpg

@Dreador
    If that was aimed at me, its everything BUT unnecessary.
    He is having a problem working out his raid buffed stats. This addon tells him EXACTLY that.
    Pointing him in the direction of a working addon that removes the need to input data into a spreadsheet is exactly the sort of response that should be in the help section. The fact that I wrote the addon myself is irrelevant.

Spreadsheets do, however, allow you to make changes to your character without spending any gold (replacing epic gems costing 1500g a pop isn't something you do just for a laugh) and reforging is also quite expensive for certain items (DS belts with 65g vendor value for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Boradan View Post
    @Dreador
    If that was aimed at me, its everything BUT unnecessary.
    He is having a problem working out his raid buffed stats. This addon tells him EXACTLY that.
    Pointing him in the direction of a working addon that removes the need to input data into a spreadsheet is exactly the sort of response that should be in the help section. The fact that I wrote the addon myself is irrelevant.
    I deleted my post for this reason it's actually a decent addon. However, I doubt Boda's having a problem working out his stats as this post is from December.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Spreadsheets do, however, allow you to make changes to your character without spending any gold (replacing epic gems costing 1500g a pop isn't something you do just for a laugh) and reforging is also quite expensive for certain items (DS belts with 65g vendor value for example)
    Im working on it.
    Next release will have a window to change your stats and update the readings automatically.
    e.g:
    'These changes can be + or - relative to your CURRENT stats. e.g. if you want to change a gem that has +40 mastery to one that has 20 mastery and 20 parry, input '-20' into 'Mastery Change', and '20' into 'Parry Change'. (Dont forget to factor in any socket bonus gains or losses).'

Not sure yet wether to have input text boxes or have sliders... probably go with sliders.

Addon Updated.
    Fixed a bug with calculating Pally Block from mastery (used the wrong factors)

BIIIG Improvement..... Added a window to change your stats on-the-fly.
    You can change your strength, dodge, parry and mastery ratings and teh readings in the Character pane update automatically to let you know the effect of the changes .... nice if you want to regem or reforge or enchant and want to know what your stats will be BEFORE spending all that hard earned gold ....

Attachment 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Boradan View Post
    Addon Updated.
    Fixed a bug with calculating Pally Block from mastery (used the wrong factors)

BIIIG Improvement..... Added a window to change your stats on-the-fly.
    You can change your strength, dodge, parry and mastery ratings and teh readings in the Character pane update automatically to let you know the effect of the changes .... nice if you want to regem or reforge or enchant and want to know what your stats will be BEFORE spending all that hard earned gold ....

Attachment 3263
    Does this change also fix the issue of calculating all buff foods as mastery? Detailed in the PM I sent you a few days ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Does this change also fix the issue of calculating all buff foods as mastery? Detailed in the PM I sent you a few days ago...
    Wasnt aware of that bug tbh, but the new version just uploaded today definitely removes it.
    another major upgrade, this one allowing you to choose the buffs you want to use...

Screenshots of the new interface and the new tooltip below:

RaidDefenseStats.jpgRaidDefenseStats2.jpg

The new version should be available to download within 24 hours after it gets approval.
    To check you are getting the latest version, Click the 'changes' tab on curse. If it shows Version 2.2 details, then the new one is live
    Last edited by Boradan; 03-04-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Wasnt aware of that bug tbh, but the new version just uploaded today definitely removes it.<br>another major upgrade, this one allowing you to choose the buffs you want to use...

Screenshots of the new interface and the new tooltip below.
    The new version should be available to download within 24 hours after it gets approval.<br>To check you are getting the latest version, Click the 'changes' tab on curse. If it shows Version 2.2 details, then the new one is live.

RaidDefenseStats.jpgRaidDefenseStats2.jpg

+ Reply to Thread