Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How are you handling tentacle's impale (madness of Deathwing)?

How are you handling tentacle's impale (madness of Deathwing)?

I'm having a hard time tanking it, even with shield wall, shield block and trinket up i take around 80% hp dmg, and I`m wondering how are other warriors dealing with it.

My fellow DK tank take like 20% hp dmg from it and sometimes zero dmg with icebound fortitude and I heard pallys just use Ardent Defender.

Here's my armory, just in case.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...conds/advanced

use a stam trinket for that fight then. i have no problems as a bear using survival instincts or getting a hand of sac from a paladin to live through it, same with my prot warr co-tank....
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

You're probably overestimating how much damage you take. Impale is a complete non-issue beyond having a major DR cooldown for each cast, the other tank damage is pathetic so provided you survive it's not a real burden on healers. Our tanks simply used the Dream button, their own major DR or called out for Pain Suppression.

1) have your other tank taunt during the cast so you won't die from a melee hit right afterwards
    2) Shield block won't help, Mirror neither. You should eat the first impale, the second one (comes along with the meteor) is harder to deal with.
    3) It's 400k physical damage that can't be mitigated via armor - only via cooldowns. Use stam flask, 1 stam trinkets ( list = http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.-4?fi...=1;crv=0#0-2+1 ) + Stay of Execution should be up every time you need it. If you're raiding with a paladin they can help you out with sacrifice, disc/holy with painsup/guardian angel.

Ps: reforge your gear properly, 51.12% block is just awfully low!
    helmet - you're using the wrong enchant
    shoulder - dodge to mastery
    chest - dodge to mastery
    finger1 - dodge to mastery
    necklace - ??? exp to dodge
    ranged - parry to dodge
    either get tanking cloak from 5 mans or use that Rhyolith cloak listed in your Activity feed
    get tanking helmet from 5 mans, it's way better itemised than your current one
    buy vp belt next id
    buy vp shoes next id (boe!)

Quote Originally Posted by Raysere View Post
    You're probably overestimating how much damage you take. Impale is a complete non-issue beyond having a major DR cooldown for each cast, the other tank damage is pathetic so provided you survive it's not a real burden on healers. Our tanks simply used the Dream button, their own major DR or called out for Pain Suppression.
    Dream button isn't present on all four platforms and shield wall reduces the incoming damage by only 40%. If you don't have a resto shaman (+18-25kish hitpoints buff) or a disc priest (shielding you during the cast for a 40kish buffer) running around with 200k hitpoints might not be enough.
    Last edited by klausi; 12-06-2011 at 06:03 AM.

On our kill in 25s our tanks couldn't survive it without a cooldown, so you just always have to make sure you're taunting so you don't eat an impale with the debuff. Just shield wall every one and have your OT taunt immediately afterwards. The only other way is to kill the mutated corruption so fast you don't need 2 tanks, but that's a really tough DPS check.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

On our 25m attempts I didn't seem to have many issues taking the impale except in a few cases where the meteor hit and I took the impale shortly thereafter... When we had too many dc we switched to 10m and it seemed I had more issues taking it. We also switched the order up so we didn't have Alex (+health buff) as we were killing her 2nd... I had one attempt where even though I had shield wall + stoneform (total 50% redux) I ended up dieing... fairly sure I wasn't topped off, but still annoying... especially considering my dk co-tank could just build up a nice big blood shield and have no issues whatsoever taking it....

I would recommend warrior tanks not to strive for ctc on this fight, more health is better, at least for now. The only true tank threats (impale and the terrors in p2) are far more magic damage than anything, and the big physical threat (impale) cannot be blocked.... really blocking every hit is not critical for this fight (imo).

Anyway, this is my experience, I would also like to see more feedback from others on it....

Grom

We were also trying a one tank strategy on the 10man version of this encounter and the second Impale was downright obnoxious to deal with; our tank was also a Warrior. We are considering using one tank and two healers, which should give us enough DPS to burst the Corrupted Mutations before a second Impale; or using another tank and just having them swap after an Impale.

I admit that there is some value in having Warriors gear for Stamina for this particular fight, but the second Impale still appears to be a long shot - that's 800k Physical damage. Even with some bizarre cooldown stacking it still feels like your tank is going to die in a hit, unless you're leaving Alextrasza or Ysera for last, in which case you're gimping your raid DPS and leaving your tank vulnerable to a bad Elementium Bolt.

We don't have the luxury of doing so, but I reckon a Protection Paladin and a Holy Priest could alternate Ardent Defender and Guardian Spirit for the second Impale pretty much trivializing that portion of the fight.

For (prot) paladins:
    You can bubble the meteor impact and the impale will still be casted on you. You can safely ignore the meteor damage this way if it's your last plateau before phase 2.

Regards 1 tanking or dual healing it:
    Might depend on the platforms of choice but the last phase can be very healing intensive with only one tank and those adds with the stacking dot. You'll need several classes capable of taunting to help out (hunters don't work) or he'll die to 4+ stacks almost instantly. Pushing only one impale should be totally possible, we regulary have them around 15-25ish percent when the meteor/2nd impale arives with 2 tanks 3 healers and don't force it to hard, we could squeeze out a lot of additional rdps with proper positioning before the tentacle spawns.
    Last edited by klausi; 12-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.

We are considering using one tank and two healers, which should give us enough DPS to burst the Corrupted Mutations before a second Impale;
    Try it, worked for us

For a prot paladin doing Noz -> Ysera -> Alex -> Kalec

First platform:
    1) Shieldwall
    2) Ardent Defender

Second platform:
    1) Divine Protection + Dream (still have Ysera up at this point)
    2) Hand of Protection

Third platform:
    1) Shieldwall
    2) Divine Shield

Fourth platform:
    1) Ardent Defender (could potentially use DP + healer CD here as well, but we had druids/shamans healing)
    2) Hand of Protection

Bubble is ready again for the last phase should you need it to survive solo-tanking the 2 big adds. (Tetanus hurts!)

Order of aspects is important here, right? What order is the OP using? I feel like there ought to be a discussion somewhere on this forum about the relative pro's and con's of the orders...

We were going with ysera -> nozdormu -> kalecgos -> alextraza. Had no issues in our 25 man attempts as a warrior using shield wall for impale. We had rallying cry and various other raid cooldowns up as well for those impales that coincided with an elementium bolt impact. I picked up safeguard to give us extra options but didn't often need it.

How are you handling the bolt when its not slowed. Seems we are having issues there, even though the ranged run near the tentacle spawn point to get as far away as possible. Using a raid CD as well, we live but seems the dot kills 3-4 people almost instantly. 10 man, 2 tanks, green, yellow, red, blue is our order.
    Last edited by Pruke; 12-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.

would it be possible to have one tank be a melee soaker while a dk offtank stacks a blood sheild for the impales? The decideing factor would be if you could stack up a 230k(400k is the total dmg i take from just the impale, 30k diffrence for the immediate melee you take just after ) blood sheild in the 20 sec window you have from the first to second impale.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlulz View Post
    would it be possible to have one tank be a melee soaker while a dk offtank stacks a blood sheild for the impales? The decideing factor would be if you could stack up a 230k(400k is the total dmg i take from just the impale, 30k diffrence for the immediate melee you take just after ) blood sheild in the 20 sec window you have from the first to second impale.
    I tried this. I was able to stack 200k+ blood shields in some instances, but if you're unlucky and you get targeted by the mutated corruption for a random hit (as he tends to do), it can wipe most of your shield right before the impale.

We ended up one tanking it with me tanking it as blood. I use DRW to try to minimize melee hits, allowing me to stack a bigger blood shield for the first hit. The shield plus a hand of sac from our holy paly is enough to mitigate most of the damage. I pop VB right before the hit and follow with a rune tap and a quick death strike or two right after the hit to top myself off.

The second impale is the really dangerous one if you're one tanking, because the impale debuff increases damage from impale by 100%. For this one, we had our priest go holy and glyph Guardian Spirit to make sure it's available on each platform. If we don't DPS down the tentacle before the second impale, I just eat it with GS and follow with the same VB+rune tap+DS trick. I even don't pop dream if it's up until after I take the hit, to make sure GS is used and I'm back to 50% health first.

Our DPS is good enough now that we usually don't see a second impale, but on the last one we don't have the haste buff from yellow, so it still tends to give us a second one right after the elementium bolt. It's not a problem to handle though if you just use the CDs available to you in your comp properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daosis View Post
    For a prot paladin doing Noz -> Ysera -> Alex -> Kalec

First platform:
    1) Shieldwall
    2) Ardent Defender
    If you have Ysera up for the first two platforms, why bother using a personal CD at all for first platform?

We tried the one tank strat last monday. Our problem: Sometimes the tentacle just one shotted me. According to the combatlog, it critted(!!!) me. That wiped us severals times. Sadly I forgot to /combatlog this raid. After some wipes I switched talents, switched to unholy and frost presence and than switched back to tank specc and blood presence .. I can't tell if that fixed the problem with crits because I did this just before our last try this evening ... but the overall experience with tanking these creatures was very strange. Sometimes I almost got no damage, sometimes it almost killes me and well, sometimes it just critted me to death ... very strange.

People have been reporting the old bug where improved blood presence kinda forgets to work. Flipping your presence before a pull is a good habit to get into. Shouldn't need to respec.

DKs are awesome at tanking impale, it's much harder on a warrior. I have fully absorbed impales when I got lucky, and can comfortably take an impale with just unglyphed VB + Bone shield. Meanwhile on the warrior, while shield wall is up for every other impale, if you don't have the +20% health buff then you probably need some other cooldown as well. It seems a bit unreasonable that blood shield & bone shield work but their equivalents block and the shield block ability don't. Maybe my opinions are skewed by the difference between 10 and 25 man. In both groups, we had the warrior take the first impale and the DK take the second. The second is the one which coincides with the bolt landing (which DKs can just AMS and lol at).
    Last edited by swelt; 12-14-2011 at 04:17 AM.

We 1 tanked it. In our video guide we explain how we did it using 1 tank and 3 healers.
    Check it out!

Setsa, your video helped us get our kill last night. We did green, red, yellow, blue as our order because the unslowed bolt was just tearing us apart. During a break I tabbed out and watched the video and noticed you had everyone stack on the tank and the disc priest use his shield. We were having everyone at the back of the platform near the foot and used the bubble but died to the dot because DPS had to get to the bolt and died. Changing it to using stack on the tank and using a few CD's sealed the deal for us.

Another thing we did was we were at 10% when the 2nd set of terrors spawned and the first time we tried to burn and off-tank. That failed and we wiped at 5% with a minute left on enrage. Next time we just killed them and got the kill. So a piece of advice, if you have time to kill the 2 terrors, do it because tanking them for to long can be nasty.