Thread: Heroic Spine of deathwing

Heroic Spine of deathwing

Has anyone got any info on the comp etc for a ten man group.

I'm Guessing 2 healing is a must, noticed In Extremis used 2 Arcane mages for burst.

Also noticed the DK tank went Full Stam gems to offset the hp debuff that stacks when the amalg dies.

So anyone got any other little things that they have picked up on?

Burst DPS trinkets are nice for the tendons.

Full stam stacking for a DK is questionable, being that Mastery can increase the depth of your Blood Shield to soak the dmg.

2 Healing if healers are OP, 3 Healers if the DPS is OP.

This fight IS hardest pressed on the capability of the healers to keep up. As well as the ability for the dps to get the tendons killed in one phase not two. This is where DPS burst trinkets and CDs come into play well.

Just like on reg, third plate is the true make or break point.
    Heads I lose, tails I lose? Quick, give that coin to one of those annoying street performers.

There is no need for 2 healers on this fight. Just go with a 2-5-3 setup. I tanked this as an ilvl 394 (at the time) Paladin without any stamina stacking whatsoever (and I was tanking the bloods) and had no problems staying alive. It was pre-nerf too.

Resto shaman is completely overpowered on this fight. If you got an ilvl 382 alt, better bring this over a 400 non-shaman main. This is for 3 main reasons:

1) Healing rain that increases max health.
    2) Spirit link totem on the transitions (the spin after you down a tendon). Sometimes you might have an amalgamation with 9 stacks exploding on the raid, and the spirit link prevents your raid from dying with that health equalizer. Also, the plasmas get destroyed with the spirit link for the same reason.
    3) Their dispel also heals.

Basically, all a shaman has to do in this fight is use healing rain on CD, dispel properly and use spirit link.

Regarding your DPS setup. After the nerf, you can basically go in there with just 1 class that is really good at burst and then whatever setup you prefer. You do not in any case have to down one tendon in a single go, although I understand why that would help. Also, if you got a firemage available and your tendon DPS is otherwise fine. bring him along. They just destroy they bloods extremely fast with their multidotting, making the third tendon ridiculously easy.

In my opinion this fight is not so much about healing or DPS. It's all about tanking. Positioning your adds well, knowing when to move, how to absorb as many bloods as possible in the transitions without causing 9-stack explosions, kiting in P3 and also DPSing the tendon as much as you can. All of this takes time to figure out and execute properly, but I suppose that now with the nerf it is less important that your execution is flawless.

The tanking and positioning is a large part of the fight, yes. Timing the blood tank to run the almost dead Amal over the 9+ bloods at the plate right before the fiery grip goes off is important. But once you have that down. There's still a huge press on heals to keep up. It's a huge heal-based fight in my opinion once execution/timing is perfected.
    Heads I lose, tails I lose? Quick, give that coin to one of those annoying street performers.

Since you bumped this. My co-GM and I make guides for heroic DS. Here's Spine. Hope it helps somebody.

My guild is currently stuck on the 2nd flip and start of the 3rd plate. We are getting there reliably but then it all goes to hell.

How many corruptions do you kill before the 2nd flip, 2 or 3?

Do you have 1 tank hold the bloods in front of the stack point for the flip and then the other tank with the Amalgs run thru it on the way to the stack or is there a more controlled way to soak up bloods?

I was thinking at the start of the 3rd plate after the flip and things get settled we should take my bloods to the right side of the plate while the other tank has the Amalg on the left. Then nuke down 9+ bloods and I would move to the middle to cut off spawning bloods from the raid. Then when were ready the Amalg tank just goes to the other side, gets his 9 stack and we push.

We run 2 tanks. Prot warrior (me) and Bear.

3 Healers. Resto Shaman, Resto Druid, and Smite Spec Priest

5 DPS. Ret Pally, Arms War, Hunter, Arc Mage, Lock. We also have been alternating one of the ranged with a DK.

Any advice is appreciated.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

We kill just 2, but you can kill 3 as well, it will give you more amalgamations to absorb bloods on the ground with. Dunno if you have watched the guide that I posted, but yes, I (AoE tank) stand between the last corruption (while my bloods are being AoEd) that we kill and the stacking point, so that the last amalgation picks up everything on its way to the raid. The other tank picks up stray bloods with the other amalgamation and when it's time to stack he loads it up all the way to 9.

If you do it right and have good passive AoE on the bloods all the time, you will start p3 with 1-2 bloods and everything absorbed. Which will let you to treat p3 the same as the first 2. However, since you are asking I suppose your execution is not yet flawless, so here's what we did pre-nerf. Indeed we tanked everything to one side and the amalgamation on the other (just make sure it's the opposite side of the corruption where the bloods are tanked). We did not stop at 9 bloods, however. We kept AoEing them down hard, until midway through the last amalgamation, when I had to start kiting since I was tanking 35+ bloods straight up in the face. When the last amalgamation goes to 9 stacks, pop EVERYTHING, every single CD your raid has and just nuke down the tendon.

now that the 20% nerf is up is anyone able to not mop/soak up dead bloods before a roll in 10 man? If you do you have a video of it from the blood tank Corrupted Bloods?

Our raid leader seems dead set on not moping up bloods so I am doing the best I can to adapt to this. Roughly after the 3rd Hideous Amalgamation is brought to the front, things start to get dicey for me. By dicey I mean that point start to use charge and heroic leap to collect bloods on to till the 5th Amalgamation dies. After 5th Amalgamation I see 3 or more new adds to pick up every time spam taunt one Amalgamation with vigilance.

Here is our wol log from tonight. Any suggestions on how I can improve would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Geach; 05-04-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: noticed I miss spelled that and had an extra a in there

You really want to mop up residues. What we do during the rolls is have the blood tank near the middle hole killing a bunch of bloods (don't blow up the raid though) I grab the almalgamation from the low health corruption that dies very fast mob up any residues that are spread around the plate. As soon as the second algamation spawns we make deathwing roll, I stand next to the pile of residues taunt the 2nd almalgamation (doesn't even always reach me) and with 1-2 seconds left i jump into the pile of residues and then in the hole. We remove anywhere from 7 to 16 residues from the fight this way it really adds up on the last plate.

What's important is rolling as soon as the second almalgamation spawns and jumping into the residues at the right time. The amalgamation won't pulse with 9 stacks if you do it with ~2 secs left on the roll, DBM has a nice countdown for it. As far as healing goes we usually have a spiritlink totem on the rolls and a tranq or divine hymn when the amalgamation goes nuclear.

Our setup: 2 tanks, 3 healers, unholy dk, boomkin, lock, spriest, ele shammy. We don't have any problems getting the tendons down even with this setup without much burst, our spriest does reforge for this fight though. Any setup should work with the nerfs tbh.

@Bodasafa: We got stuck on the last roll for a while as well. What really helped was rolling fast as soon as the 2nd almalgamation spawned and don't blow up the raid with killing too many bloods. As for the 3rd plate have the blood tank start kiting just before or during the 5th liftup and during the 6th almalgamation have the warrior tank (assume he's kiting?) grab as much aggro on the bloods when he gets near the raid again. The less bloods on the amalgamation tank the better, your bear just have to make sure the healers don't get raped by them.

Not sure about your positioning Boda, we have the whole raid next to the plate with me as amalgamation tank a little further away from the plate and as soon as its low enough (and timer on grip is good) i jump into the residues next to the plate. You shouldn't have to move to the middle to cut of any bloods just pick them up as soon as they reach the raid.
    Last edited by Bigbad; 05-04-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Make sure to avoid unecessary AoE on the bloods. The only point you want aoe is to help you out with bloods is during the transition where you call for a stack and aoe the bloods causing the amalgamations to absorb them. Make sure your dps get rid of all the aoe trinkets like The Cunning as they do make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by plushy View Post
    Make sure to avoid unecessary AoE on the bloods. The only point you want aoe is to help you out with bloods is during the transition where you call for a stack and aoe the bloods causing the amalgamations to absorb them. Make sure your dps get rid of all the aoe trinkets like The Cunning as they do make a big difference.
    I don't see Shadowbolt Volley in combatlog I posted. A quick glance I don't see any aoe trinket spells. I can get on to dps for using a aoe trinket. Since aoe trinket damage can can cause damage to the corruption which is entirely different issue form just more damage from brust. If anyone does see a aoe trinket dmg please point it out so I can get that fixed.

@Bigbad Yeah I kinda have the feeling we might have to mop up anyways. I Just wanted to try to rule out something else I could do without changing the raid leads mind. I am just going to have to build the case and show that Nuclear Blast can be made trivial.

This fight is a ball breaker to heal, must have been "want to rip your hair out" hard pre-nerf.