This is based off the 25 man version. So.... done right, this means roughly 100k to EVERYONE, assuming they're all smart enough to stay in 25 yard range and not intentionally try to sabotage your efforts to survive as a tank.
Phase 1 - Abilities
Although Morchok is technically a two-phase encounter, you'll be spending the majority of the time in phase one. His first ability is called Stomp. This is a large AOE that deals about two and a half million damage, split between everyone within 25 yards of the boss. Note that the two players who are closest to him will take twice as much damage as everyone else.
You... as a tank, will still be eating 200k, minus whatever armor you have and damage mitigation.
Armor, will reduce about 50% of that. Approximately. Add in blade barrier for another 6%.
Yes, you can use bone shield. And IBF. And Vamp Blood. But you're missing what might be the MOST important tool.
Deathstrike + Mastery.
That in mind.... follow the checklist below.....
1) How much mastery do you have? Is it significant? If you have a less than 100% blood shield, meaning worth 100% of whatever heals you received from deathstrike, you're not doing yourself any favors.
2) Are you using it correctly? Heals and blood shield are based off the previous 5 sec of damage. Are you only using it for recovery? Or are you using it "right" and using it to build a blood shield to reduce incoming damage? You SHOULD pop at least ONE deathstrike prior to stomp, to ensure you have a shield up. Minimum value of this will be 7% of your health with a 100% mastery. That's at least 14k pulled off the incoming damage for a 200k DK.
3) More importantly, is your RAID doing the right thing? Are the ranged within 25 yards or are they all scattered and running away trying to avoid it? Because if they are not in range of it.... that 2.5 mil gets split by a smaller number. 2.5 mil split by 25 people... not horrible. 2.5 mil split between 20? You're going to see a 250k hit before damage reduction. Now... for 10 man... if it's 1 mil split... if you have 3 people snoozing, you're in some serious crap.
4) Trinkets. Which are you employing? IDEAL combo would be a Stam/Mastery trinket.
5) Last bit, and this is not an all-inclusive list, is.... how are you playing your toon? Are you mindlessly thumping away on the boss? Or are you focused on survival? If you're having these kinds of survival issues, you need to change your approach from "I am tank/dps" to "I need to do everything I can to survive". What does this mean?
- Rune conservation. Save runes for deathstrike and vamp blood/rune tap. Use Rune Strike and Death Strike as primary threat gen.
- Debuffs. Keep them up on the boss.
- Awareness. You have to shift your mindset some from a "pew pew" mode to a measured, resource management (including life) approach.
My bet is that you need to change your approach to this boss.
That and use fraps or something or keep an eye open for the raid member who is not sharing in the stomp. That more than anything will screw you up faster than anything else as the damage is divided between the group, then multiplied on the tank.
Also see this forum post/thread:
No one tanks in a void.........