+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Endgame Tanking Dodge/Parry question.

DK Endgame Tanking Dodge/Parry question.

I have most everything gemmed/enchanted/reforged for Mastery where I can. My question is, when there are places you have to gem/reforge to a different stat such as Dodge or Parry, is it better to have Parry % well over Dodge %, or to try and keep them even to each other? If you look at my reforging on the following link you can see that I've reforged everything to either Mastery or Parry.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...torio/advanced
    Heads I lose, tails I lose? Quick, give that coin to one of those annoying street performers.

Far as I know, you want to bring your dodge up as close as possible to parry, since diminishing returns effect a stat more at higher ratings. And since DK's get a pretty large conversion of Str -> Parry your going to have a truckload of it, on my DK I have every piece reforged out of parry into Mastery/Dodge. You also might want to change the chest chant to 75 stamina instead. I'd also probably snag the Blood Tap minor over death gate, since you took the Improved Blood Tap talent. (Assuming your using it and didnt just copy spec)

As to the explanation of why you want your avoidance values to be closer, I am just going to shamelessly quote Fetzie's prot pally guide. (Despite not having block it still applies to Dodge/Parry)

9. Diminishing Returns

Diminishing Returns on avoidance stats were introduced in Wrath of the Lich King to stop tanks reaching 100% avoidance against bosses (druids and rogues could literally not be hit by a boss). Both parry and dodge ratings diminish at the same rate. As they decay at the same rate, and start at the same point, one should try to balance the ratings.

This is a very simplified example of how Diminishing Returns works (in reality the maths and numbers are rather more complex):

Assuming 1 dodge rating is 1% dodge and that the next rating point grants 0.01% dodge less each time, diminishing returns works a bit like this:

The first point of dodge rating gives 1% dodge.
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.99% dodge (2 dodge rating = 1.99% instead of 2%)
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.98% dodge (3 dodge rating = 2.97% instead of 3%)
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.97% dodge (4 dodge rating = 3.94% instead of 4%)
    The next 1 dodge rating gives 0.96% dodge (5 dodge rating = 4.90% instead of 5%)

Now I said to balance the ratings because of the diminishing return. This is the reason why:

5 Parry Rating = 4.90%
    3 Dodge Rating = 2.97%
    Total = 7.87% Avoidance

Now if the ratings were balanced... (note we still have the exact same number of points)

4 Parry Rating = 3.94%
    4 Dodge Rating = 3.94%
    Total = 7.88% Avoidance

7.88% > 7.87%

By shifting one parry rating into dodge rating, our avoidance has increased by 0.01%, even though the total amount of rating remained constant.
    ^-- source = http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ection-Paladin

Remeber/realise that it is the Ratings that should be equal WHEN fully buffed, not the %

DK Endgame Tanking Dodge/Parry question.

I haven't had a look at ur gear or anything but the above is correct u have to keep dodge and parry as close as u can unless u are using sword shattering rune in which the ratings should be the same when fully buffed but the parry % will be 4% higher.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful
    Heads I lose, tails I lose? Quick, give that coin to one of those annoying street performers.

You have the Trinket off spine, which means you should also take into account the 880 dodge rating you will have by about 15 seconds into combat. Yes, it does technically take time to ramp up, but in most situations I believe it can just be treated as passive rating. In other words, leave you parry about 800 points above dodge, and let raid buffs close the gap.

+ Reply to Thread