+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dragon Soul - Hagara the Stormbinder (Normal)

Dragon Soul - Hagara the Stormbinder (Normal)

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Welcome back to the Tankspot Dragon Soul Raid Guide. My name is Lore, and this video will cover Hagara the Stormbinder, the fourth boss in Dragon Soul. This fight only needs one tank, and anywhere from 5 to 7 healers.

This is a fun encounter with a few new tricks mixed in with some you may recognize from other bosses. Lets get into it.

Phase 1 - Abilities

Once the fight begins, Hagara will go into a brief phase 1. She has only a handful of abilities in this phase. First up is Focused Assault. While she's channeling this ability, her melee damage is reduced by half, but she attacks every half a second. That comes out to being roughly twice the damage per second she normally does to the tank. However, this ability also roots her in place, so the tank can just move away.

Next up is Ice Tomb. This targets 5 random raid members, puts an arrow over their heads, and after a few seconds, freezes them in a block of ice. The frozen players take a small amount of damage every second while they're encased, and will be unable to act until the ice tombs are killed.

She'll also occasionally summon 3 crystals, which fixate on a random player and fire Ice Lance in their direction. You can easily see who's fixated by the blue line coming from the crystal. As soon as the Ice Lance connects with a player, it explodes, dealing a moderate amount of Frost damage to anyone within 3 yards and slowing their auto attack speed.

Finally, we have Shattered Ice. This is a pretty simple random target nuke. It deals 100,000 frost damage, and slows movement speed for a short time.

Phase 1 - Strategy

Dealing with phase 1 is pretty straightforward. It's mostly just a matter of reacting properly to her different abilities. When she uses Focused Assault, the tank should either step away for a moment, or just pop a cooldown if you prefer to keep her from moving too much.

When she casts Ice Tomb, DPS that aren't frozen need to switch over and destroy the ice blocks quickly to free the players trapped inside. To help with this, the players that are targetted should use the few seconds they have before they're frozen to get as close to the boss as possible. The ice blocks can even be AOE'd if they're all right next to each other.

Dealing with Ice Lance is mainly up to the ranged DPS. Since the explosion slows auto attack speed, but not casting speed, and splashes to people standing nearby, you really don't want these hitting the melee group. So, once the crystals spawn, a ranged DPS should move into each blue beam to intercept them.

Shattered Ice is the only real wildcard in this phase -- since it deals so much damage, it can easily kill someone who's soaking an Ice Lance or was just freed from an Ice Tomb and hasn't been topped off yet. So, the obvious answer is to just keep everyone topped off. She'll usually cast Shattered Ice either just before or just after using Focused Assault, so healers should pay close attention to around then.

About 30 seconds into the fight, Hagara will shield herself from damage and transition into either a Lightning or Ice Phase. Which one she chooses is random, but the goal is basically the same -- destroy the four crystals that spawn around the edges of the platform to break her shield and get back into Phase 1. We'll look at the Lightning phase first.

Lightning Phase

Shortly after the Lightning Phase begins, a Bound Lightning elemental will spawn and should be picked up by the tank. It doesn't do anything interesting on its own, but when it dies, it will overload the closest crystal, destroying it and causing it to send out jolts of lightning to anyone standing nearby. The lightning deals a small amount of damage, and will also jump to any other players standing nearby.

To destroy the other crystals, you'll need to chain those jolts of lightning by letting it jump from player to player all the way from the destroyed crystal to one of the remaining ones. Once another crystal is destroyed, it too will begin to send out jolts of lightning, so you can use that crystal to start a new chain to the next one.

Meanwhile, Hagara will be channeling a Lightning Storm, which will hit about 8 random targets every few seconds for a small amount of damage. More importantly, every time someone is hit, they'll get a stacking debuff that increases their nature damage taken by 5% per stack. So, at the start of the phase, the healing is pretty light, but as time goes on things will start to get out of hand, so being able to organize the lightning chains quickly is important.

Ice Phase

If Hagara chooses to go into the Ice Phase, she'll start by making a giant bubble in the center of the platform. Anyone inside this bubble will lose 15% of their health every second, and have reduced movement speed, so it's best to get out of the center as quickly as possible.

Killing the crystals is much more straightforward in the Ice Phase -- you just attack them -- but Hagara's not going to make that easy. First, she'll summon four ice waves that move to the outside edges of the room and begin to rotate in a clockwise motion. Touching one of these will kill you, and they cover the entire area outside the bubble, so you'll need to run with them to avoid getting hit.

Once the Ice Waves are moving, she'll start summoning Icicles to land in the pathway. If one of these hits you, it deals a pretty large chunk of damage. Fortunately, a blue circle will appear on the ground a few seconds ahead of time, so while you're running from the ice waves, just try to either avoid running over the circles or get through them quickly before the Icicle lands.

Once you've gotten the motion figured out, it's just a matter of hitting each crystal as you pass it. They don't have a whole lot of health, and aside from the Ice Waves and Icicles there really isn't anything that can kill you on this phase, so don't worry about really pouring your DPS into it. Just hit them when you can and focus on avoiding things.

In either the Ice or Lightning phase, once all four crystals are destroyed, Hagara's immunity shield drops and she takes increased damage for 15 seconds. This is the best time to pop Bloodlust and DPS cooldowns. After the 15 seconds are up, she goes right back into Phase 1 until it's time to start another Ice or Lightning phase.

It's worth noting that, after the first Ice or Lightning phase, she'll alternate between the two. So, if you get the Ice phase first, it'll be the Lightning phase next, and then Ice after that, and so on.

Hagara is another one of those fights where, if you know what you're doing, everything is pretty easy to deal with, but if you don't, you'll probably just die. Fortunately, now that you've watched this video, you should have that pretty well covered.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Thank you very much for the guide, and if I may I'd like to contribute. :] Seems to me that the way she chooses her phases are not random, but are predetermined by the effect around her weapons. Notice that they're spewing snowflakes and a frosty animation before her Ice Wave phase, and shooting lightning everywhere before her lightning phases. This seems pretty consistant from my experience in the 10 man version and the raid finder version. Its not a very important part of the fight, as most groups can easily adjust to whatever phase comes at them, but for those who may not be able to it should help for pre-positioning and what-not.

LOL!
    Love the hunter at the 2:01 mark who disengages and then pops parachute for more distance.....
    And also... for a direction change?
    Really curious there Lore. Were they just goofing around? Or was that a planned move?
    No one tanks in a void.........

Quote Originally Posted by Naie View Post
    Thank you very much for the guide, and if I may I'd like to contribute. :] Seems to me that the way she chooses her phases are not random, but are predetermined by the effect around her weapons. Notice that they're spewing snowflakes and a frosty animation before her Ice Wave phase, and shooting lightning everywhere before her lightning phases. This seems pretty consistant from my experience in the 10 man version and the raid finder version. Its not a very important part of the fight, as most groups can easily adjust to whatever phase comes at them, but for those who may not be able to it should help for pre-positioning and what-not.
    This is accurate (and is consistent on heroic as well). Her weapon imbue determines which she starts with, and she will alternate after the first.

So, for example, if she has the frost imbue before you pull your phases will go:
    Frost -> Lightning -> Frost, etc

about the lightning phase, the way to deal with it is not by running from one crystal to another on the arc of the circle, the smarter way is to devide the raid in a cross that goes from north to south, meets in the middle and goes to east and west as the pilars are standing on the north, south, west and east points of the room which is round. the lightning elemental dude will always spawn on the north.
    you kill it near the north pillar. if u chain it properly what will happen is the lightning will go to the middle of the circle and then go west, east and south simultaniously. this way the phase lasts about 5-10 secs only and the dmg is extremely easy to deal with. this also works on heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by merojinaya View Post
    the smarter way is to devide the raid in a cross that goes from north to south, meets in the middle and goes to east and west as the pilars are standing on the north, south, west and east points of the room which is round.
    You mean create a circuit with the raid? IE: line everyone up "holding hands", standing still, and let the lightning jump from person to person to instantly hit all four crystals?

I suppose this is done on 25 man? I don't think there are enough people in 10 man to properly jump the lightning to all four crystals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    You mean create a circuit with the raid? IE: line everyone up "holding hands", standing still, and let the lightning jump from person to person to instantly hit all four crystals?

I suppose this is done on 25 man? I don't think there are enough people in 10 man to properly jump the lightning to all four crystals.
    indeed, I was talking about 25m and not 10m. although i think you can do it as well in 10m since the beacons are a lot closer to the middle circle than on 25m.

+ Reply to Thread