Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Morchok Heroic tips & tricks

Morchok Heroic tips & tricks

No other thread about this so though I'd start 1 for those who wanna try. If you haven't you probably won't till next reset, in which case there will probably be some guides out there. Anyways I'm gonna lay down our strategy and I'll happily accept feedback on how to improve.

We are still progressing here but have found a tactic we are happy with, just execution and healing/dps output needing on our behalf. We raid 25 man btw.

Split the raid in two, so it's more like 2 separate raids.
    Boss's stomp hits 2 people for double dmg, tank + another. We've found best to use a rogue with feint. If you don't have rogues, make sure you've got high hp character soaking this and a resto shaman healing him, keeping up riptide on him 100% to give him some extra hp! (or alternatively rotate people with cooldowns, iceblock, bubble, sac, dispersion etc etc.)
    Assuming 3 healers, 1 tank, 1 stomp soaker in each grp, that leaves you with 8 other dps. If healers in your raid are un-evenly skilled/geared, or only 1 restoshaman, you may wanna bring 7 healers and have the resto shaman be where there are only 3 healers (his extra hp buff on this fight is amazing).

Tanks need to be careful on moving him, don't move out of range while he's doing stomp. Time your movement so you and your soaker can stand your ground on the stomp, then move to crystal in between. All the grp should be soaking the stomp to reduce spike dmg. Rest of dps should move fast to crystal to soak it.
    As a tank, have some form of cooldown on each stomp, makes healers life sooooo much easier and they can focus on topping off other soakers.

Fatal mistakse we've made:
    Dps moving ahead of grp to crystal, didn't soak the stomp, other crystal soakers weren't topped up enough to survive the crystal.
    Healers getting left behind while moving boss, got out of stomp range resulting in dead soakers.
    Morchok does stomp and crystal first, offtank kept the twin too close and Morchok's dps got stomped twice as the crystal spawned to close to the twin.
    There are probably more I just can't remember right now... selective memory you see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FuT3BSqstc
    Last edited by Garbid; 12-08-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Hand of Protection on low HP people (or the soaker when not topped off) is a godsend - does not make others take more damage; just the HoPped person be immune to a stomp

Yeah, we did that too 5 soakers in a grp together for Prayer heals, and soakers in other groups got bop or were classes with iceblock and mechanics that could negate the dmg with a druid or pala watching over them.

Secondary stomp soaker: it's physical damage so bringing a plate wearer over a "high hp class", likely with a shield (= holy paladin, because all non tanking classes should have a similar amount of hitpoints of 150k ish)... unless you got a rogue.

Why do you need/want a cooldown for every stomp on 25m? Does it kills you right away? On 10m it's only 100k damage (that +100% damage taken debuff fades before a new stomp occurs every time) and his regulary hits on block tanks are fairly doable (35kish).

Druids going into bear form helps too. Our boomkin gets 60% more armor in bear form if I remember correctly.

Melee attacks from Morchok shortly after stomp hit for 100k and the stomp for 160k on a 390 ilvl tank.

On heroic 25 man, neither Morchok nor Kohcrom stomp for significant amounts of damage. I am not sure if it is bugged, or if intended by the journal is not up to date, however you do not need to double soak crystals and stomps.

If you take Morchok right (looking at temple) and Kohcrom left, Morchok will always spawn crystals away from the temple while Kohcrom spawns towards the temple.

Three people are all that is needed minimum to soak on 25 man heroic - Tank, the double soaker and a third. This means that you can assign 7 people to always be ranged for crystal - in our case, 4 dps and 3 healers on one side and 5 dps and 2 healers on the other. These people can get into almost the exact position of the crystal as it is predetermined, and the handfull of melee along with the tank and soaker will be more than enough for stomp.

This allows each side to only have a group hit by crystal + a group hit by stomp with no overlap meaning half the healing required and virtually no movement - it turns it into very close to a tank and spank.

Our guild killed it this way this week and will have a video up tomorrow so you can see it if interested, though note that it is possible stomp is not working correctly and if it gets fixedd this strat will go out the window.

4 healers 2 tanks 4 dps. We dragged the two morchok's about 40 yards apart and just had at them. 2 healing 2 dps 1 tanking each mini-morchok.

The only real trick I have to offer is to build a good ignite before the split and cleave a combustion on to both of them for the short time they are in range. I guess the same goes for other DoT classes.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Seeing 4 healers needed on 10 man when we've been 2 healing everything does not make me happy. Now we need to pull 2 extra healers out of our arses for one fight? I thought we got rid of these wacky raid requirements back in Burning Crusade -.-;
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    Seeing 4 healers needed on 10 man when we've been 2 healing everything does not make me happy. Now we need to pull 2 extra healers out of our arses for one fight? I thought we got rid of these wacky raid requirements back in Burning Crusade -.-;
    We have successfully 2 healed it on the PTR. But for our first kill we decided to not risk it. My guilds a bit more conservative when it comes to wipes and such. If we can 4 heal an encounter why not? It allows us a massive margin of error. And in retro spec our healers agreed that 2 healing would have easily worked. Any good AoE healer should be able to keep up.

The damage going out in each 'group' is low, just at times it spikes pretty high but a thoughtput cooldown would easily compensate according to our holy pally. When our logs show each healer only doing like 7k hps on a heroic fight, it seems clear that 2 healing would work. But then why not force our legendary weilding ele shaman go resto with a dragonwrath on his back XD.

That's how we squeezed our 4 healers we made our ele sham, and shadow priest go holy/resto. Then change back for the next fight. Keeping 4 healers on staff for a full tier is hard, and there are plenty of fights that need to be 3 healed Hagara, Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj is 2, ultraxion can be 3 if each dps can do 40k+.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Here is our strategy/Kill video -

Thanks,
    www.youtube.com/setsawow - Video Guides for current content

I could really use some help on H Morchok here. I've watched several vids, including the one above, & am doing what they do, in regards to tanking, but peeps are still dying to Stomp. What I do is when a Crystal spawns, I move ASAP & park the boss ~5-10 yrds away from it, the 3 ranged hugs Crystal, & me & my fellow mDPS soak the double-dmg Stomp. Despite this, peeps are still dying mostly to Stomp dmg. We figure it's a positional thing, maybe with our ranged, but seeing as we position just like they do in the vids, I'm at a loss.

Here's a WoL from our latest raid. I was absent from it due to really bad DC'ing & was replaced, but hopefully you guys can look through it & see where we're going wrong. Thanks in advance!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9...pes&boss=55265

My guild got our first H:Morchok kill last night and the length of the fight was 6:46 while 4 healing. I say this because from your log it seems you had 3 attempts that could have been kills. From my perspective it seems your problem can be summed up in one word: cooldowns.

Your prot pally never used Guardian of Ancient Kings on any of the 3 longer attempts and it seems he didn't use Divine Guardian on the first of the 3 (try 5) but he did on the last 2.
    Your holy paladin could have ran Devo and used Aura Mastery.
    Your Frost DK never used Icebound Fortitude.
    Hunter didn't use Deterrence.
    I don't think your resto shaman used Stoneclaw totem.
    You get the idea.

It seems that you have the fight learned because you survived 6+ minutes on 3 attempts but you don't have a cooldown plan. Once Morchok/Korchump hit 20% have some kind of plan for chaining raid & personal cooldowns. Ie, after 20% first stomp Divine Guardian, 2nd Spirit Link, 3rd Barrier, 4th personal cds, 5th tranquility, etc. Of course, plan according to how your groups are split up. Tanks need to save big cooldowns to be able to chain them at that point as well. Prot pally for example should be able to go DP/HS > GoAK > AD for 30ish seconds of cooldowns. Plus, each paladin can Hand of Protection someone so they take no damage from a stomp and they can bubble themselves to take no dmg from a stomp (prot just has to click it off immediately to regain threat).

As a mage if you have impact up you can get full DoT's on both 'morchoks' right from the off, including combustion which is an amazing dps buff.

Has anyone got any good tips for the pull -> first crystal period? So many of our attempts have been screwed up by the first crystal spawning in a position that's over on Kochrom's side but that ought to be soaked by Morchok team. Before our holiday downtime, we seemed to be having some success pulling over to the right hand side, but didn't seem to work as well yesterday. Is there something about the facing of the boss that can be used to influence the crystal spawns?

a) it doesn't matter who got the beams from the crystal just make sure you've 3 people soaking it, the nearest ones count for it
    b) if you really struggle with the first crystal there's a rather simple solution: just wait for the first crystal spawn before pushing him. That's what we did for our firstkill, now everyone is just overeager to rank and don't want to waste their prepot etc

We just burn him to 90% and the team closest to the first crystal takes it.

Curious situation we found ourselves in with Stomp, our hunter is taking more Stomp damage than he has total hit points sometimes. My assumption was that the double damage part of Stomp was directed at the two closest people to Morchok/Kochrom, this is centered on the boss and not the tank, correct?

We have our Rogues taking the extra damage (Kochrom side is Outbackjack(warrior), Hanners (hunter), Ayva (shaman), Jeskah (rogue), Moodar (druid)) and I'm fairly confident that Jeskah is staying right up Kochrom's butt and Hanners is not closer than I am. Am I missing something obvious here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Wow...that's a crazy looking log

I think you might be tanking them too closely together...or something else super weird.

There was a stomp on your first wipe (the last one, that killed the shaman and hunter) that hit for a total of 2m post-mitigation damage...granted they had the debuff, but that's a LOT of damage...more than I'd have expected by far.

I almost seems to be it is the tank and the closest person to the tank that takes double damage, it could be a movement issue that the server has the boss moving or something. Also a couple weeks back there was a hot fix for more than two people taking double damage.

We ry to minimize movement and have the tank and the soaker stand inside the bosses hit box. For us a holly pally is the soaker and he's solo healing the side which makes it very hard for him if we move, the three crystal soakers need to say within 25 yards for the stomp and then move out to the crystal, their dps is probably lower because they are moving a lot but dps is a not an issue for this fight.