+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dragon Soul - Ultraxion (Normal)

Quote Originally Posted by Lognar View Post
    We noted this in all the guides etc - However on our attempts I always taunted back after returning from the normal realm after fading light, and never had issues losing threat. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Yes. I pulled aggro, and subsequently died, repeatedly from this mechanic before the taunt timing was switched.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    As for the vids them self I am disappointed at the lack of 10 man information and the missing little details like what the button looks like or even the buffs for example, Tankspot has always aimed for live content in their guides for accuracy and they seamed to be aimed for the larger audience by giving specific info on encounters and what to watch out for, but as it is now they come across as guides for more elite raiders who don't need to be told everything which isn't a bad thing really if you want to go that route but I don't see the guides as very helpful or informative.
    You get a giant button in the middle of your screen, it is really hard to miss unless you use a custom UI that hides it. Incredibly however, a lot of people have trouble clicking the damn thing on the LFR, or don't understand when to click it.

Quote Originally Posted by metalbunny View Post
    You get a giant button in the middle of your screen, it is really hard to miss unless you use a custom UI that hides it. Incredibly however, a lot of people have trouble clicking the damn thing on the LFR, or don't understand when to click it.
    Or you underestimate how many people use bar mods. Honestly, if I was in LFR and only ran LFR I would die repeatedly on this fight because I would have no idea what button people were talking about if no one sat me down and explained it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Or you underestimate how many people use bar mods. Honestly, if I was in LFR and only ran LFR I would die repeatedly on this fight because I would have no idea what button people were talking about if no one sat me down and explained it to me.
    It depends on the group you end up with. I've had a couple groups that were very patient, and very understanding to the missing buttons, and that tried really hard to explain how to keybind the (missing) ExtraActionButton1, and when to press it. And then you get the groups that try to plow through everything without explanation and freak out if someone dies because they have no idea what's going on.

Problem with the timing is you need to be able to see Ultra's cast bar, which is the part where it depends on what unitframes you use how you get around that, or if it's even possible. You can't rely on someone calling it out, by then it might be too late.

Though in honesty, the people that make the bar mods need to find a way to show these buttons - one way or another, especially if it's an approach Blizzard is going to continue with.

A lot of action bar mods have had recent updates (in the last 3-7 days) to implement the ExtraActionButton. If you are using a bar mod I would recommend checking wowace, curse and wowinterface to see if there has been a update since 4.3 went live.

So I have a question. Someone mentioned having a disc priest go smite build. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to what the build should look like and at the end when they are healing do they typically end up bubbling everyone and if so what of the three healing buffs do you have the disc priest pick up?

A smite disc priest gets the Evangelism, Archangel and Atonement talents, their primary spells are Holy Fire, Smite, Penance and Power Word:Shield.

This is my Disc Priest, I use the Atonement spec. The only real variation is that I spec into Strength of Soul and some prefer Train of Thought.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...garee/advanced

Red = Best for raw throughput, worst for shielding. Red is the single worst buff to give to a Discipline Priest. It is the best buff to give to a Restoration Druid as they have no shields at all and only have throughput. After Restoration Druid would be Restoration Shaman and Holy Priest, not necessarily in that order.

Green = Best for a direct healing class. Not necessarily bad for any class however they may need to change how they heal. For example you could give it to a Restoration Druid and have them switch to a primarily direct healing model rather than Healing over Time model. Holy Paladin, Restoration Shaman, and Holy Priest would have to change the least to benefit from Green. Most healers dislike Green because of how it functions, requiring them to change how they play, which is why in a two healing model the healer which picks this will be the one to switch to Blue when it becomes available.

Blue = Best for classes which can use, or switch to long cast AoEs. In particular, Discipline Priest is probably the single best choice since they can go into a Prayer of Healing spam continually procing shields on entire parties. The worst class to give Blue to is a Restoration Druid, while Haste does greatly improve the healing effect of their Healing over Time abilities, they don't benefit as much as other classes because they can't cast more spells, being bound by the Global Cooldown minimum (HoTs heal for more, but they don't cast more often). It is better to give the Blue buff to a class which can fully exploit the nature of haste.

At a very high level and assuming all else is equal (such as Player Skill).
    If you have a Restoration Druid, you want to give them Red.
    If you have a Discipline Priest, you want to give them Blue.

Those two in particular are geared very well for one end of the spectrum or the other (one all throughput, the other is largely shields). Everything else is somewhere inbetween.

The key to assigning healers buffs though largely comes down to their ability to adapt and apporpriately capitalize on the buff if necessary. For example, a Discipline Priest understanding that long cast times are prefered and mana cost is irrelevant once they have the Blue buff will naturally trend towards spamming Prayer of Healing alternating between parties since it will be nearly a 1 second cast at that point and proc shields on the entire group at once and is spammable.

Since one player isn't necessarily equal to another though these priorities can be altered to cater towards what works best for your particular group. For example, Red is also the best buff for a Holy Paladin because the shield caused by their mastery is porportional to the amount they healed. However because a Druid has primarily instant casts that are Healing over Time effects you want to avoid giving them Green or Blue if possible which typically pushes the Holy Paladin to another buff that is less than ideal for them. Ideal for the individual may not be what is ideal for the raid. It is up to the decision makers in your raid to determine what is ideal for you.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

good post

Quote Originally Posted by ferdy30 View Post
    So I have a question. Someone mentioned having a disc priest go smite build. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to what the build should look like and at the end when they are healing do they typically end up bubbling everyone and if so what of the three healing buffs do you have the disc priest pick up?
    As I've mentioned before, I've only done the RF, not normal. But what we normally do is give Red to 1. holy priests and 2. druids, green to shamans and druids, and blue to pallies and disc priests.

With arbitrary class mixes (as in too many of certain classes - more than 2 of each class is a suboptimal comp), the 2nd choices are holy priest and pally on green, and shamans on blue. You don't really want hot healers (as in druids) on blue, and you really don't want hot-less healers (as in paladins) on red.

Typically you never have more than 1 disc priest in a raid, whether 10 or 25 man. It is simply a matter of how disc works compared to the other 4 healing specs. So for disc I recommend putting your foot down and demand a blue. The other classes work better with going different colours.

Obviously you HAVE to work out with the other healers before the fight starts who gets what. Red comes first, then green, then blue. The crystals drop with Ultra's health, so the better dps the faster the crystals will come down. In the RF, where communication is sadly not the strongest, we (or atleast me and some of the other healers I've done it with) generally use recount to figure out what our comp is and snatch up the crystal buffs based on that.

Also, in note of what Quinafoi said about the decision makers in a raid: Never let anyone who don't heal, or atleast regularly play a healer, ever make decisions about healing assignments, or in this case the healer buffs. Always work that stuff out with the other healers. Real healers know how they prefer to heal, and which way of healing works best for them, and therefor it is easier for the healers themselves to work out the assignments, and the buffs. As long as someone knows the crystal buffs, or as I normally do it which healers are preferential for each colour, then figuring it out is easy.

If you regularly run with the same groups, it's not a big deal to decide who gets what, but when you pug you need to work things out with the other healers or it can go real bad. Nothing worse than someone telling the druid and holy priest to watch the tanks when you got a shaman, a paladin, and a disc priest in the raid (just a sample from one BH25 I pugged).

Blue should go to Discipline Priest. Holy Priest, Holy Paladin, and Restoration Shaman can use blue as well. Restoration Druids should avoid blue.
    Green is sub-optimal for every healing class. More for some than others.
    Red is ideal for anything that isn't a Discipline Priest.

How you determine your priorities will largely come down to minimizing how bad the green buff is. Because of that you typically end up with a priority system like this for the red buff.
    Restoration Druid
    Restoration Shaman
    Holy Priest
    Holy Paladin

This priority system is because green is significantly worse for a Restoration Druid than a Restoration Shaman, a Restoration Shaman than a Holy Priest, a Holy Priest than a Holy Paladin. Red is the best buff for all four of these, but assuming player skill is identical in order to maximize the raid benefit. What is best for the individual may not be best for the raid. This is the general priority system that should work most of the time, however, individual skill level may change how you decide (a good player will be good even if sub-optimally buffed and a bad player will be bad even if optimally buffed).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

So I saw the idea for a disc priest doing atonement/smite and was intrigued; if this is viable would they get the red crystal (to double their healing output?) Or else which crystal would work best?

A disc priest can do smiting regardless early in the fight because healing demand is trivial until much later in the fight so unless your cutting healers from the normal number they should probably be doing this anyway. Additionally if you allow your other healers to get buffs first you allow them to keep up with rising raid damage without requiring the discipline priest to switch to exclusively healing until later in the encounter, thus getting more damage on the boss. This is another reason why Discipline typically prefers to get the blue crystal. Atonement only heals one target at a time and the majority of damage in this encounter is raid damage so long term single target healing will not be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    the majority of damage in this encounter is raid damage so long term single target healing will not be ideal.
    That's sort of understating the case. By the end of the fight, if you single target heal people will die. It's not just "not ideal" it's "suicidal".

Disclaimer: I've been doing heroic for quite a few weeks now, my stance on this might be skewed by that, but I am fairly sure that that statement is true regardless of the difficulty, unless you SHOULD be doing heroic and aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    That's sort of understating the case. By the end of the fight, if you single target heal people will die. It's not just "not ideal" it's "suicidal".

Disclaimer: I've been doing heroic for quite a few weeks now, my stance on this might be skewed by that, but I am fairly sure that that statement is true regardless of the difficulty, unless you SHOULD be doing heroic and aren't.
    Nope you're correct; by the end single target healing is death for people. I mean, can you get off an emergency FoL or Penance or Holy Shock to top up someone or proc a speed of light, yeah, but other a quick heal, you should be spamming your AoE heal.

My point remains, while smite spec is decent for this encounter, it's not something you do the entire fight. The very fact that you can afford to have a healer DPSing is related to the rate of damage your taking, not whether or not that damage also heals. You could have any healer DPS if you have more healers than required to heal the damage you're taking at the start of the fight. It's just discipline is designed in a manner where doing DPS may also provide a small amount of healing.

The discipline priest should not be smiting because it's good healing. A discipline priest should be smiting because more healing is not needed early in the fight. You don't smite because it's good healing. You smite because you don't need to heal at that moment.

The person's reason behind smiting is flawed. They are looking at it from a healing standpoint and trying to buff it. Instead they need to realize that the Discipline Priest should smite because they don't need to be doing their full healing potential in the first place. If they want to realize their full healing potential, they will have to use actual healing spells, which towards the end of the encounter will be required.

I've two healed this on my Disc priest and Q is accurate - I'll smite for bit in the beginning, but once the damage starts to ramp up, it's back to normal healing - well spamming Prayer or Healing and throwing out PoW:S.

+ Reply to Thread