+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Soul - Morchok (Normal)

Dragon Soul - Morchok (Normal)

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Welcome to the Tankspot Dragon Soul raid guide. My name is Lore, and in this video we'll be showing you how to defeat Morchok, the first boss in the Dragon Soul raid instance. You'll need 2 tanks and about 5 or 6 healers. Any mixture of DPS should be adequate, although ideally you'll want at least 7 ranged.

This is an extremely simple and straightforward encounter, and shouldn't offer too much of a challenge to an appropriately-geared raid group, as long as you know what you're doing. So, let's get to it.

Phase 1 - Abilities

Although Morchok is technically a two-phase encounter, you'll be spending the majority of the time in phase one. His first ability is called Stomp. This is a large AOE that deals about two and a half million damage, split between everyone within 25 yards of the boss. Note that the two players who are closest to him will take twice as much damage as everyone else.

He'll also occasionally throw out a Resonating Crystal. This looks like a little red bubble on the ground, and attaches itself to the 7 closest players. After a few seconds, it explodes, dealing damage to those 7 players. The farther away they are from the crystal, the more damage they'll take.

His final ability in phase 1 is a debuff he'll place on the tank called Crush Armor. It does pretty much exactly what it sounds like - reduces the tank's armor by 10% per stack. This debuff lasts 20 seconds.

Phase 1 - Strategy

Once you've pulled the boss, you'll want to position your raid to mitigate as much damage from Stomp as possible. That means stacking the raid directly behind him, at maximum melee range, while the tanks stand as close to him as possible to make sure they're the two chosen for the extra damage. You'll also need to assign 7 people to soak the Resonating Crystals -- ideally, these should be ranged DPS. Whenever a crystal spawns, those 7 players should immediately run over and stand on top of it. Don't be fooled by the beams - those will switch to the soakers as soon as they're the closest targets. Finally, the tanks should keep an eye on each other's stacks of Crush Armor, and swap aggro at 3 stacks.

Phase 2 - Abilities & Strategy

Every so often, Morchok will swap into a brief phase 2. He'll start by pulling everyone in the raid to him, dealing some light damage and stunning you for a moment. He'll then summon a bunch of Falling Fragments along the edges of his pathway. These block line of sight, which is important for dealing with his other ability, Black Blood of the Earth. This deals a constantly-increasing amount of nature damage to anyone standing in it, and will quickly spread away from him, but is blocked by any fragments it runs into.

So, dealing with the Black Blood is pretty simple. Just run and hide behind one of the fragments. Ideally, everyone should run in the same direction, but getting out is more important.

As soon as the Black Blood dissipates, phase 1 begins again. You can move him back to the center if you like, or just keep him wherever he ends up and adjust accordingly. From there it's just rinse and repeat until the encounter is finished. He does have a slight enrage at 20% health, which causes him to attack 30% faster and deal 20% more damage with each hit, but as long as your healers are ready for it and tanks use their cooldowns appropriately, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Like I said, Morchok is not a very complex encounter and shouldn't be much trouble as long as everyone's on the same page. It's just a matter of handling a couple very simple abilities and burning him down. The dungeon journal says he's the "most powerful elemental still under Deathwing's sway". If that's the case, Deathwing better have something better lined up.

If you'd like more information on this or any other Dragon Soul encounter, head over to Tankspot.com and click the Movies link at the top of the page. Thanks for watching, and good luck.
    Last edited by Lore; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

A few things:

A) I like the UI, but it may not be staying f
    B) New format is awesome!

Very nice.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I like the new editing, although the transitions from the recorded fight and the abilities tab seems a bit bold. Maybe lower the volume a bit, it took away from you speaking a bit. Over all it was an amazing update compared to previous videos.

Nice job guys.

Like the new format..a questions tho..for the cystals on 10 man is it 3 or 4 players that need to soak?

For 10-man, it's three crystals.

And note that during phase 2, you can position yourself at a crystal's edge, or even between two crystals close together, and still DPS the boss.

Editing quality is a huge stepup from past guides. Good job. Although I have to ask, who needs a Morchok guide?

I like the format, the only thing I would like to say is that usually the attached full encounter is what helped my Guild. So hopefully those will be added into the new format.

Really like the new format. Thanks TankSpot. Hope to see the remaining 7 boss encounters up soon, so I can direct my raiders here for strategy.

I also like the new format; It seems like a big step up in quality.

I do wonder though, why don't you guys do PTR videos of the bosses so you can have them up before the patch goes live, like some other sites do? Is it because PTR bosses can change like Shannox did, or because you just don't enjoy raiding the PTR? Or unnamed option 3?

Fantastic update, loving the production quality.

My only suggestion would be similar to Sploda's, please included the full encounter video at the end as your previous guides did. This was something unique that only Tankspot videos offered and it was extremely helpful. Seeing the pacing of the fight in real time helped to know when to expect which abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Xareus View Post
    I also like the new format; It seems like a big step up in quality.

I do wonder though, why don't you guys do PTR videos of the bosses so you can have them up before the patch goes live, like some other sites do? Is it because PTR bosses can change like Shannox did, or because you just don't enjoy raiding the PTR? Or unnamed option 3?
    Our concern in the past has generally been that we don't want to release inaccurate guides. Even in this tier, a lot of the fights changed from when they were on PTR (Hagara no longer iceblocking people in phase 1, 1-tanking Yorsahj no longer being a recommendable option, just as a couple examples). However, one thing we're rapidly discovering with this new method is we're able to quickly drop in updates and changes as necessary. We haven't decided 100% for sure yet, but in MoP we will most likely have all the guides prepared and ready to go based on PTR content, and if necessary, quickly throw together updated guides on release day (and pull the old, inaccurate ones).

EDIT: As to the desire for full kill videos. I'm not completely sure I like the old method of just slapping it on to the end of the video -- it feels a little clunky. What we might see about doing though is uploading the full kill separately (either on the ZAMofficial youtube channel or on authors' own channels) and linking to it from the original post. The other thing to consider that you guys haven't seen yet (mostly because Morchok is kind of faceroll) is we'll be switching between different perspectives when we have the footage available and the guide calls for it. At that point we could potentially be taking footage from 3 or 4 different kills, and tacking all of them on the end of a video would be kind of overboard.

Hey guys, it's the editor here. Thanks for all the feedback we love hearing it, so I assume you guys do to...

@Xareus - We avoided doing PTR videos for the exact reason (Shannox) you stated. However, looking into timeframe, we are planning to adjust this and have them ready from the PTR come Mists of Pandaria. =)

@Xadefinn/Sploda - I will talk with Lore about that, but I do know we intended to make these guides short, brief, and to the point. Assuming that most raiders (not raid leaders) pull up guides while sitting right at the boss for a quick overview before they pull the boss, the intention is keeping them as short as possible. However, I do understand and agree with your concern. I'll bring it up with Lore as we go forward with guides in the future.

lul double response that says the same thing

Kill videos being AVAILABLE would be nice. They don't necessarily have to be in these specific guides, but maybe in the same thread would be worth it. That way people can see how to move and handle the actual abilities. Sometimes, it's also nice to hear what people are saying to each other, giving it a feel for an actual encounter.

Otherwise, I think the format is pretty sweet, and it would be totally awesome to cover 10-man guides this way if there are some significant differences between each strategy.

Very very nice new format guys, great job

This is my first post here but I would like to say that I do like the new format and quality of the guides. It is a big step up from what they were, a lot more professional. I would like to see the actual kill with vent talk at the end of the video, similar to what Xadefinn, even if its in a different video. Its nice to hear how a raid leader and other members are reacting to what is happening versus us just knowing the spells. I do look forward to seeing more complicated fights be explained in this manor. Thanks for offering such a wonderful tool to raiding though.

Just a quick thing Lore you said that you should assign 7 people to take the damage from the bomb things that blow up. But it chooses random people so you can't exactly assign people.. Those seven people just need to have their heads screwed on and when the beam is on them GTFO and get to the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickbuey View Post
    Just a quick thing Lore you said that you should assign 7 people to take the damage from the bomb things that blow up. But it chooses random people so you can't exactly assign people.. Those seven people just need to have their heads screwed on and when the beam is on them GTFO and get to the bomb.
    He did state in the vid that even though the bomb targets random people it will switch to the closest targets after a few seconds, tbh I thought it was who ever is targeted had to move to it but it seams that is not the case. With this info in hand the encounter just got slightly easier if that was even possible.

i really like the new format.
    Last edited by madmax644444; 12-05-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelumian View Post
    Hey guys, it's the editor here. Thanks for all the feedback we love hearing it, so I assume you guys do to...

@Xadefinn/Sploda - I will talk with Lore about that, but I do know we intended to make these guides short, brief, and to the point. Assuming that most raiders (not raid leaders) pull up guides while sitting right at the boss for a quick overview before they pull the boss, the intention is keeping them as short as possible. However, I do understand and agree with your concern. I'll bring it up with Lore as we go forward with guides in the future.
    While I agree that "short, brief and to the point" is a good thing to strive for. I believe that the old video's while a bit longer in the guide section, gave us a complete view of the fight that is severely lacking in most guides out there. This is one of the largest factors of telling my raid to go watch the Tankspot guide over the other ones out there today. Now, if I want my raid to have a more complete view of an encounter I am telling them to watch the Tankspot guide and then go search youtube and watch a full kill video or two.

The way Alliena narrated her "full fight" portions at the end of her guide gave more insight to each encounter, and let people see the force of abilities rather than simply be told them.

+ Reply to Thread