+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: souldrinker BiS tank weapon?

souldrinker BiS tank weapon?

so someone pointed out to me that the BiS weapon for tanks is souldrinker. is this true or is there a better weapon?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=77193

To the best of my knowledge the only other 1h weapon with strength in Dragon Soul is this one, and technically that is a DPS weapon (what with it having crit rating and a 10 str socket bonus). Which makes the Souldrinker the BiS weapon because there is no other tanking weapon in the instance

As long as you're block capped, yup. Had to throw that caveat in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

what's the block cap exactly?

Block Cap is when your Dodge, Parry, Block and Miss chances add up to 102.4%

See the guide linked in my signature for a more in-depth explanation (parts 8-10 if my memory does not fail me at 3:06 am )

ah ok

edit: wait what is miss chance? as far as i can see there is no way to check it in game.
    Last edited by Thad; 12-02-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    ah ok

edit: wait what is miss chance? as far as i can see there is no way to check it in game.
    It's a flat 5%.

So basically, you can think of it as aiming for 97.4% for your parry + dodge + block.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    As long as you're block capped, yup. Had to throw that caveat in there.
    Yes, except it should be manageable to block cap without using dps weapons.

Manageable? Yes... but both Mandible of Beth'tilac and Hand of Morchok offer a good chunk of mastery + avoidance that you can skip elsewhere. That's easily three times a 50-mastery gem + socket -> a ~ 300 stamina bump before buffs.

For now it looks like Souldrinker is a dps weapon as well, our frost Dk already stated that he's after two of it. So i've to guess that the 40 dps increase on top of the procc outweights a 28 strength, 139 crit rating and 119 mastery rating loss for them.

Our Fury Warrior is gunning for a pair of them too. He said he's gonna be popping Rallying Cry on cooldown to take advantage of the proc. If his attendance were better I'd be tempted to let him get a pair of them first and I'd dick around with Hand of Morchokk for tanking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexryn View Post
    Yes, except it should be manageable to block cap without using dps weapons.
    Eh?

Dread I love how you still have that post in your sig.

Priceless. Funny it still stands (except for the stacking stam part).
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Yeah, I've been super lazy. The zetbit is out of date because I changed servers, factions and names. Remember how many threads used to pop up daily about that sh*t? Was unreal. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Yeah, I've been super lazy. The zetbit is out of date because I changed servers, factions and names. Remember how many threads used to pop up daily about that sh*t? Was unreal. Good times.
    Yeah back then I was unemployed so I could spend all day on tankspot forums, now I only occasionally stop by with work and raiding.

But good times!
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    He said he's gonna be popping Rallying Cry on cooldown to take advantage of the proc.
    That gave me a good laugh, it's the only reason (considering that they need two twohanders to compete and offer lowest dps according to the newest sims) you can bring a dps'ing warrior into a raid instead of a paladin, dk*, enhancer, feral** or a rogue: non of them offer a raiding cooldown..

* haven't seen an unholy dk in ages
    ** tranq cooldown is really long

I just played around with the numbers: 260.000 hitpoints raidbuffed doesn't luck to exaggerated, with a resto shaman present it should be possible on 10m, too.

Heroic souldrinker drains 1.7% of your maximim hitpoints, translating it into 3.4% heal.

260000*0.034=8.840
    What's about healing increasing talents? Paladin and warrior got both +6%, that's 9.370 hitpoints healed.
    What's about damage increasing talents? Curse of Elements or Sunder Armor + Enrage?

An almost 10k heal every other second doesn't look to shaby to me. But what's about the PPM? Remember that mending enchant we used at the start of the expansion? It healed for ~ 1.000 and procced about four times a minute, way more on aoe fights (rend ticking on multiple mobs helped a lot). 40k not-smart heal per minute looks underwhelming (666 hps), i really hope the procc chance is considerable higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the only other 1h weapon with strength in Dragon Soul is this one, and technically that is a DPS weapon (what with it having crit rating and a 10 str socket bonus). Which makes the Souldrinker the BiS weapon because there is no other tanking weapon in the instance
    Funnily enough, Hand of Morchok is only good for SMF Warriors too, it's pretty terribad for a Frost DW DK due to the crit.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Paladins get 6% more casted and received healing, my stock 19k Scales heal actually heals me for about 22k. Souldrinker appears to have a 15% proc chance and no internal cooldown.

Got one on an alt paladin (about 215k hitspoints raidbuffed):

3568*1.206*2=7564 -> heal is modified from talents (+6% healing taken) as mentioned above from Fetzie
    [21:38:46.744] Klausi Drain Life Alysrazor 3568
    [21:38:47.169] Klausi Drain Life Klausi +7564

3464*1.2=4157 -> damage (and thus healed amount) is further modified from abilites (like wings)
    [20:56:11.239] Klausi Drain Life Beth'tilac 3464
    [20:56:11.666] Klausi Drain Life Klausi +7343
    [20:56:13.024] Klausi gains Avenging Wrath from Klausi
    [20:56:13.024] Klausi casts Avenging Wrath
    [20:56:21.284] Klausi Drain Life Beth'tilac 4157
    [20:56:21.696] Klausi Drain Life Klausi +8812
    [20:56:33.041] Klausi's Avenging Wrath fades from Klausi

... and things like Imprinted on birds from Alysrazor:
    [21:40:38.956] Klausi Drain Life Voracious Hatchling 35281
    [21:40:39.377] Klausi Drain Life Klausi +57319 (O: 17476)

- neither damage nor heal can't crit or miss
    - don't scale from attackpower (vengeance)
    - if i'm not mistaken here Curse of Elements and other external sources of increased damage won't help (exceptions: your own abilites, skills & talents. And (de)buffs affecting you personally)

Total healing done on fights like:
    Shannox hc: 230k over 3.5 minutes (1.000 hps)
    Alysrazor hc: 920k over 7.5 minutes (2.000 hps)
    Rhyolith hc: 400k over 5 minutes (1.333 hps)
    Staghelm hc: 400k over 8 minutes, my 2 piece t13 absorbed 200k over the same time (833 hps)
    Ragnaros nhc: 400k over 6 minutes (1.100 hps)
    Baleroc hc: 2.6 million over 5.5 minutes [the boss i was most interested in: procc acounted for 20% of my total damage done, that increased stamina pool works as well for sure ] (7.900 hps)
    [22:18:10.432] Klausi Drain Life Baleroc 26603
    [22:18:10.813] Klausi Drain Life Klausi +56398

Procc itself was about 5% of my total damage done on every fight except for Baleroc (for obvious reasons), it's a pretty good one after all (worth: combined deep wounds + 3-4 times the value of blood craze).

Ps: please notice that those hps numbers in brackets don't account for overhealing, on most fights i had about 25-40% overhealing with the procc depending on the difficulty of the fight and the pressure from aoe healing! And on Alysrazor it was way higher, about 75%.
    Last edited by klausi; 12-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.

I was dreading that this weapon would be extremely underwhelming. From Klausi's data it looks like it could be somewhat useful after all, but not to the point where it would be mandatory though.

I'll probably keep my heroic mandible around for good measure though.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    instead of a feral
    Feral 4p heals for about 2.0 - 2.5 mil in 25 man.

The sword is over 1k hps on a single tank fight.

+ Reply to Thread