+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can I get into a guild?

How can I get into a guild?

How can I get into a good guild, when none are recruiting my class/role, if at all?
    I don't want to settle for an average guild when I want more, and know I have the skill to do much better. Searching has given me a headache, and I see nothing on Oceanic (my restriction)..what can I do?

the only way is to prove you have the raid experience and are gear for the content so that would mean you need to pug alot also which toon do you think would be geared enough to get into one of the better guilds? most top guilds will recruit a pug if they show they are good enough to handle the content, but good luck getting the chance to show it most of the time top guilds don't pug, which leaves option 2 if the top guilds run gkdp, gold runs, have the gold up and go on one to prove your worth again if you don't suck they may offer you a spot in there guild.

Join a less good guild at the start and work your way up. Now, if your gear is already good and nobody is recruiting your class, then I don't think there is much you can do, other than somehow proving you are better than their existing tanks. But you cannot really show how good you are as a tank in Dragon Soul.

Most guilds which are successful and established already have reliable tanks. What you can do is find one that has a social invite policy or needs benchwarmers and use the tank ability "Patience". Be available for raid time, have your rep farmed, gear properly maxed out with gems and enchants, etc. Also very good to start guild groups for random heroics and LFRs and make some friends while you're at it.

It would also behoove you to make sure your dps spec/set is up to snuff.

It is not going to be fast or easy, so, good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Red Sun has been advertising for a tank for like a month now, so did a couple others as far as I can remember.
    Last edited by kopcap; 12-02-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks for the replies.
    I am nearly all Heroic Firelands geared, so I don't think gear is a problem considering how long DS has been out.
    My current guild has 6/8 normal hopefully finishing 8/8 this week so I have at least most of heroic firelands and ds content experience (and most likely all DS experience by the new raid week).

As for Red Sun, I wouldn't be able to commit myself to their times as they raid too early for me to comfortable make.

edit: I don't know if this is worth mentioning at all, but a reason I'm a bit wary about all this is I had joined a good guild that died, spent money to faction + realm change to another dying (rebuilding but no where near as good) guild, and I don't particularly want to be spending money faction and realm changing to try out for different guilds.
    But really I guess there is no alternative if I want a shot at a good guild.
    Last edited by Riverune; 12-02-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Find a guild advertising for a tank position and apply. Otherwise, join as a dps and wait for an opening.

Thanks again for replies. I know this isn't a simple one answer question that will solve my problem, I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions because I really don't know what to do ^^ .

Two things will really help you in this instance: impressive parses (assuming you're DPS) and the ability to sell yourself in an application. Despite taking a break from serious raiding for a year, I know I could at the very least get a trial in most places solely based on how I present myself in applications, which means you would be infinitely more successful than I would be. If they seem to be full on your class, write an application anyhow. If you wow them enough, and they can find a way to make it work with the roster, they will give you a trial. I'm assuming your gear is maximized to its full potential in terms of outside upgrades, itemization, enchants, and reforging; if it isn't, get on that as your first priority. If your class has another role it can provide, be sure to become decent at it to make you a more flexible and valuable raider. Regardless of spec, be sure to have combat parses, and if you're DPS, you should have multiple encounters that show something more useful than BH (since it isn't exactly the pinnacle of skill!). If you have kill videos, even better. Go above and beyond in your application, going into detail to convey your class knowledge and utility as a raider. Assume nothing, even basic class knowledge. Beyond that, be approachable and be available. Provide your real ID and if you're the same faction, offer to run heroic 5-mans before transferring to help them gauge your ability on a smaller scale.

Sorry if any of this is redundant, but I'm a firm believer that skilled players can get into any guild of their choosing if they simply present themselves correctly. Not everyone is very articulate and well written, but effort and knowledge is what people want to see.

How can I get into a guild?

I just got into the 3 best guild on my server with literally t11 gear and they were not recruiting my class/spec (no friends in the guild). the main thing is to be yourself be truthful and if they like you they won't even look at your gear or spec show that you work hard and know what you are doing.

+ Reply to Thread