+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Taunt the boss NOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    The horse is dead, and this is way off topic, but I still strongly believe and advocate that these LFD dungeons should be called "normal" dungeons and true heroic dungeons should be available outside of the LFD just like normal/heroic raids for individuals seeking a dedicated 5 man challenge. It wouldn't even be that much more effort on their part since its the same content just tuned differently but we would all win. Make it hand out gear equal to LFR so people who don't want to raid have a separate, meaningful, and challenging progression path.
    Actually, I support this. Pretty damn good suggestion. Gearing (you know, minus exploits) in LFR is a pain in the balls. With a dedicated 5 man group doing BC-style heroic runs (flying the hell out to the instance and zoning in like a boss) would satiate me. Instance lockouts would be back but that would mean you could run each instance every day if needed instead of farming the dog shit out of 3 randoms to get FL-N level gear, which I did, and it sucked.
    I like this idea too, actually. The "real heroics" would have to be tuned to be fairly difficult, but it's an interesting idea.

It was a good feeling as a warrior, tanking Shattered Halls with no CC. Huge epeen blaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

It was a good feeling as a warrior, tanking Shattered Halls with no CC. Huge epeen blaster.
    Yes. That feeling isn't really possible anymore though, with AoE 500% threat. When Thunderclap hit 4 targets only and there was no blood and thunder or shockwave, those were the days when tanks were TANKS.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    Yes. That feeling isn't really possible anymore though, with AoE 500% threat. When Thunderclap hit 4 targets only and there was no blood and thunder or shockwave, those were the days when tanks were TANKS.
    Gotta give DPS credit also. Like I said I'm a little annoyed by the lack of discipline PvE requires now, as amazing as it was for a Warrior tank Heroic Shattered Halls with out CC, it wasn't going to happen with your DPS AoEing all over the place, these days I mark a Skull and it still dies last lol. Also DPS had a responsibility especially the ranged to act as the last line of defense for the healer if anything got by the tank and stall, cause we all know the healer would get one shot if it wasn't Frost Nova'd, Scattered, or w/e.

Kahmal is right. The awesome feeling for a tank back then was knowing it took skill to allow DPS to operate at the bleeding edge, while at the same time not leaving you healer going "oom. I'm oom. Anyone? Oom?"

The teamwork mattered more then and I'd rather be part of a great team, than the only good player in an average team.

Ha. Average team indeed. Try this one on for size: End of Time, last boss (hourglass). Priest healer stands in breath and faceplants and the 3 dps die to ground effects. Tank pops CDs and hits hourglass, boss dies that attempt. Half the time I can't even score average players. I'm certainly not the best by any means and would never claim to be but really some common sense is totally lost on these people to even be able to cope with simple mechanics in a nerfed 5 man that allows you to go back in time and cheat death.

but really some common sense is totally lost on these people to even be able to cope with simple mechanics in a nerfed 5 man that allows you to go back in time and cheat death.
    Please tell me these idiots died 5 times. Please.

Not all of them did...the first time lapse thingy it killed them all, after that it was like a lottery! Honestly, these people need a tongue lashing but it's not even worth the time.

Not all of them did...the first time lapse thingy it killed them all, after that it was like a lottery! Honestly, these people need a tongue lashing but it's not even worth the time.
    Nope, kill the boss, collect bag of goodies and vp's and get the hell out of dodge since whatever they have could be contagious.

There have been other fights not requiring a taunt swap that are just as boring: Blood Queen being the biggest culprit for offtank boredom/afking and Yor'sajh being a current example of a boring single tank fight.

So I don't agree that taunt swaps being boring is the problem - although they certainly are not interesting. The problem is that the other tank, the one not currently tanking the boss, has nothing to do.

Cho'gall handled this well requiring tank swaps and throwing out adds for the current off-tank to pickup and drag around the room.

I feel like the boss design team blew their load all in T11. Almost all of the 2 tank fights in T11 were very interesting for both tanks with unique and fun stuff to do or at least interesting timing for what they had to do. Fireland just didn't have much in the way of two tank fights and dragonsoul just has the same old boring two tank stuff. I would really like to see a solid post-mortem on this expansion with explanations for WHY. We seriously got a LOT less content than previous tiers/expansions and there HAS to be a reason. Obviously they are reversing it for MoP because they realize they have to or let the product die ... but really blizz?
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by Oratory View Post
    There have been other fights not requiring a taunt swap that are just as boring: Blood Queen being the biggest culprit for offtank boredom/afking and Yor'sajh being a current example of a boring single tank fight.

So I don't agree that taunt swaps being boring is the problem - although they certainly are not interesting. The problem is that the other tank, the one not currently tanking the boss, has nothing to do.

Cho'gall handled this well requiring tank swaps and throwing out adds for the current off-tank to pickup and drag around the room.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ifTSkSeVk

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    I feel like the boss design team blew their load all in T11. Almost all of the 2 tank fights in T11 were very interesting for both tanks with unique and fun stuff to do or at least interesting timing for what they had to do. Fireland just didn't have much in the way of two tank fights and dragonsoul just has the same old boring two tank stuff. I would really like to see a solid post-mortem on this expansion with explanations for WHY. We seriously got a LOT less content than previous tiers/expansions and there HAS to be a reason. Obviously they are reversing it for MoP because they realize they have to or let the product die ... but really blizz?
    A pure guess on my part is that the massive quest redesign and world redesign took a lot of resources and ate more production time than was originally anticipated. No time line in the corporate world is ever correct and projects never take less time than budgeted. The world and the game did need a facelift, questing did need to become a bit quicker with 85 levels to get through. Now that the revamp is done, I think we'll see more content in MoP.

On normal mode 10man, 2-3 heals, the first 4 bosses are 1 tankable. CD management=win.

Ah yes, the good old BC times, where you had that great definition of "Main Tank" and "Off Tank" which still haunts us - and pisses me off!
    Main Tank: Gets all the glory and all the first upgrades. Why? Because he drags the boss over there somewhere and keeps him still.
    Off Tank: Gets the "Oh, you're just the off tank" treatment. Stands around somewhere to eat sparks. Stands around somewhere to eat the Hurtful Strike" Or runs around like mad collecting adds.

Thank you. I'd rather taunt-swap a single boss, or taunt-swap adds (Hi Ulduar Trash!) and have both tanks required to be similarly geared - and it not really matter "do you or I take him first", because it's two tanks playing, not MT and OT.

And I hate the current "Oh, single tank everything" stuff. If I wanted to play DPS, I'd bring my mage. Or my rogue. No, I don't have a dps spec, and my bags are full with trinkets and gear already. And the other tank is a tank because he likes tanking, too - and because he hates being Ret.

BC wasn't all great and wonderful, and Cata isn't all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    On normal mode 10man, 2-3 heals, the first 4 bosses are 1 tankable. CD management=win.
    On normal mode, all bosses except Ultraxion and Gunship are 1 tankable. And if you have a dps with a taunt, you can single tank Ultraxion too.

I'm actually rather tempted to try and Solo tank Gunship. the Debuffs from the adds aren't really much of an issue, and Blackhorns Devastates are quite dodge/Block/parryable, so naybve some smart trinkt choices and some HL kiting to reset stacks might work.

I'm actually rather tempted to try and Solo tank Gunship. the Debuffs from the adds aren't really much of an issue, and Blackhorns Devastates are quite dodge/Block/parryable, so naybve some smart trinkt choices and some HL kiting to reset stacks might work.
    If the debuff is blockable, why does a CTC capped tank get sundered at all? I find the debuff falls off once in a blue moon but I attributed it do avoidance rather than a block. Other than that I agree about the debuffs at least on normal, my other tank is a little derp and I've been double-debuffed rather often without problems.

If the debuff is blockable, why does a CTC capped tank get sundered at all? I find the debuff falls off once in a blue moon but I attributed it do avoidance rather than a block. Other than that I agree about the debuffs at least on normal, my other tank is a little derp and I've been double-debuffed rather often without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    On normal mode, all bosses except Ultraxion and Gunship are 1 tankable. And if you have a dps with a taunt, you can single tank Ultraxion too.
    Can paladins not soak all of the hours? The one I keep running with seems to keep doing it. Perhaps it's less noticeable because I'm still staying out for half of them?

+ Reply to Thread