+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dk tanking macro

dk tanking macro

from what i read about dk tanking we keep one blood rune up till the end and then use the other for blade barrier. and ds till we cant no more and fish for runic empowerment procs unless we need to use a blood or we get a ds up. i wanted to make a macro to /cast death strike > rune strike but cant seem to get it right. any help please?
    Last edited by grothia; 11-26-2011 at 05:16 AM.

I don't think that's really how you play a DK but anyway...

#showtooltip
    /castsequence Deathstrike, Runestrike

Ya tryed that one but its alternating dr rs dr rs i dont want that i want it to prioritize ds>rs. If something im doin sounds wrong lemme know.

You cannot use logic in a macro. You cannot tell a macro to look for a condition like "red rune on cooldown" and then act upon it.

dk tanking macro

You shouldn't play like that but I think if you put a ! In front of DS it will prioritise it but I'm not 100% haven't used many macros in a long while

Why yall saying dont play like that? What sounds wrong

Putting an exclaimation mark in front of an abiltiy just stops you deactivating that ability on the second press, things like Iceblock or Warth's Heroic Strike do/did that, so spamming the button would end up in on then off again behaviour, the ! meant that it would only turn on.

You shouldn't spam DS as that doesn't lead to maximising Blood shield size or the maiximising the efficiacy of Death Strikes Healing. Nr should there be any real need to fish for UH runic empowerment procs

I see where id be better off waiting till blood shields were above minimum. But the thought process i picked up is off ej maybe they say mash ds cause their spreadsheet was made towards raids.

Well for a start EJ is not always the best resource for everything However on the first post of the DK tanking thread they write;
    The fact is - A Death Knight tank who has the ability to manage the numerous cooldowns properly, time death strikes optimally, and use their self healing at the correct times - you will find yourself able to do many things other classes cannot. Sure, you are going to be 'spikey' at times, but that is somewhat the premise of the class itself. A Death Knight excels at single target tanking, and that is it's niche in the current tanking scheme (which I am a fan of greatly). You are going to take more dmg, but you are also going to heal yourself for a ton more and be able to save a lot of situations where other tanks wouldn't.
    Later their THread author says

If you are just standing there face tanking bosses with shit class management, sure, you're going to be getting wrecked whereas on any block tank class (warr / pally) you will still have your mitigation working for you because of how blocking works. Even on a druid, getting SD to proc off of crits is something you don't really have to time, but rather just allow to happen since it is based on RNG (crit) while doing dmg to the boss. These things just aren't the case with a Death Knight because of how much gain and penalty is put on the timing of your DS and usage of your arsenal of cds.
    Further on, around page 5 somone posts a little Table regarding DS sims

So, my sim confirms the conventional wisdom - timely death striking is more important at high damage levels than keeping runes cycling, dodge > mastery for physical damage fights, mastery > dodge as more magic damage appears, though in both cases the relative increase in value is somewhat marginal. For lower damage levels, DS on cooldown makes more sense as it is more difficult to get far beyond the 7% max health DS minimum

+ Reply to Thread