+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear Check (pwetty pwease)

Gear Check (pwetty pwease)

Been out for quite a while now, and my GF got the email from Blizz advising she could have 14 days free..........so needless to say we both bought our accounts back. I just started playing roughly a week ago and wanted to see if A) there's anything I should reforge or restore, and B) What level of content I should be able to tank with my gear. I've done ZA/ZG and most of the other heroics. I am aware that my shoulders, ring1 and weapons are DPS weapons but I figure they are close enough with the reforges and better than pretty much any blue I had. With that said, be gentle........

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...usteros/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Current advised metagem for Shield tanks is http://www.wowhead.com/item=52293.
    Being at 355 ilevel you should be good enough for FL. Everything looks relatively okay to me.
    Not looking at spec, since I have no knowledge on warrior specs.

Gems are perfect except the metagem, which should be the Eternal Shadowspirit Diamond so keep up that gemming pattern.

You've pointed out the DPS items, so we'll leave that alone.

There are a few items that the reforging could improve, your helm for example. If an item does not have Mastery on it, reforge the highest stat to gain Mastery. If you have an item with Mastery and Dodge/Parry, reforge Dodge/Parry to best even out your avoidance. There's a whole complicated mathematical, diminishing returns formula for balancing Dodge and Parry for Warriors that is completely beyond me, I'll have to leave that for some of the smarter folk around here. I can tell you that you've got a bit too much Parry and could probably stand to reforge into some Dodge rating.

Content wise, you've obviously walked around the Troll dungeons a bit. You're definitely able to cruise into Tier 11 content without a problem but Tier 12 would probably be painful. Don't expect to just roll up to all Firelands bosses and not have to work for it.

Looks good otherwise! Get ready for the other guys and gals to follow up, but I think you're definitely pointing in the right direction as far as gear goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I reforged the dodge on the helm to mastery and changed around a few reforges to drop parry slightly and raise dodge a bit where it made sense, added a screenshot in case armory does not update.

WoWScrnShot_112211_150237.jpg

EDIT: Also changed the meta if it's not obvious from the tooltip on the SS. It fit with my current gem setup so nothing else had to change in that regard.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 11-22-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Looks good, nice UI too. I like clean UI set ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Thanks, here's a combat shot. Off topic, but the dominos bar on the left is onmodded n52, on the right is with shift (button5 on the naga). mik's, chinchilla, tidyplates, pitbull for all but player target, and grid. For the most part. Oh and Icehud.
    WoWScrnShot_112211_162728.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    Gems are perfect except the metagem, which should be the Eternal Shadowspirit Diamond so keep up that gemming pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Current advised metagem for Shield tanks is http://www.wowhead.com/item=52293.
    the armor meta is better than the block one at his gear level. the block one doesn't catch up to the armor meta in terms of dmg reduction until ~5% from block cap, which he is not.

math: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...635167#p635167
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    the armor meta is better than the block one at his gear level. the block one doesn't catch up to the armor meta in terms of dmg reduction until ~5% from block cap, which he is not.

math: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...635167#p635167
    Plugging his stats into http://www.bacondev.com/tankmeta/ suggests that he will get better average damage reduction using the Eternal.

The breakpoint for Paladins is actually at just over 10%, 5% is the point at which no amount of armor will make the Austere Diamond better. Don't forget that the conclusions drawn in the mtadin thread are based on the assumption that the character is a Paladin. However I would not expect the values to be too different for warriors.

yes the numbers are for a paladin, and should not change too much when applying to a warrior. 10% is when both metas are fairly or actually equal and 5% being the hard breakpoint. i use the 5% for warriors since they do not have holy shield.

edit: afaik there is no math done between these two metas to determine the actual breakpoint for warriors, either because the maintankadin numbers are "close enough" or because no one is that concerned about it. my co-tank who is a prot warrior did not switch to the block meta until full ctc for example.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

The break point varies from warriors to paladins, due to Hold the line and shield block but mostly because mastery directly increases our Block size do we start getting better returns off the Block Value meta while much further off from being fully CTCed. but even then we're talking ~0.5-1% difference it total incoming damage.

Meh, one way or another I'm not dying to raid at the moment, fairly casual this time around. I actually went and did the Pilgrim achievement ffs. I've got the block value gem in now, and it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon as I'm just not going to spend the gold. If I was looking to tank heroic FL tomorrow night, I'd do it. Not the case, no sweat. Thanks again for all the responses.

Another thing you could do is start doing the tol barad dallies. As annoying as dallies are the mastery trinket is awesome for pally and warrior tanks. It'll take some time to get but you'll see a big jump in your block rating when you get it and have a nice little magic reduction cd with it as well. Doing the dallies will get you some gold out of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dieuglydie View Post
    Another thing you could do is start doing the tol barad dallies. As annoying as dallies are the mastery trinket is awesome for pally and warrior tanks.
    it's awesome for every tank. i use it as a bear on heroic rag progression and heroic baleroc/beth, not to mention the t11 hardmodes it was handy on.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Updated, quite a bit. I'm now running 378 in all but 1 slot and T13 in the legs. As a casual in my guild I get into alt runs with officers or whoever's asking, gets my main somewhat of a decent prio on raid loot so I don't mind at all. Oh and no more dps gear!

Nobody said anything about his spec? Or did I somehow miss the anti-Blood Craze explosion? And Gag Order.
    Also, str/haste gem, you're not a frost DK.
    Everything else looks good. My work here is done.
    Last edited by Gregasaurous; 12-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Oh my shit I bought the wrong JC recipe...or something...

About the spec, I'm casual. If I raid I can respec. Both of those talents are beyond useful in 5 mans.

Ah well I checked and I bought the parry/mastery gem pattern...so I chalk it up to drunken AH precut gem buying. Oops. Fixed that at any rate.

Actually, for anything besides PVP, blood craze is worthless. And even then I'm not sure how many warriors use it. Quite simply the amount of healing it does is not substantial enough to make much of a difference in any situation. Let alone the fact that it's unpredictable and the odds of it proc'ing when you need it are minimal at best. I know in 5 mans healers and DPS can't be relied on to be the brightest crayons in the box, but a lot of them have the same suspicion about you, so just assume you're going to have moderately skilled players in every dungeon you go into. This doesn't always happen sadly. I can't tell you how many times I've actually had to carry a group while tanking on my warrior. (I'm talking topping the DPS chart on a boss fight.) You're playing a rather versatile class (contrary to what some people think) and there's a lot of room for ingenuity and skill. A bad healer doesn't always mean that you're screwed, it just means you have to play smart, and hopefully end the fight as quickly as possible so you're no longer at the mercy of the nutcase who's gemming pure spirit (if he has any gems at all).

I changed my spec, should be updated by now as I've been logged out about 5 hours. The rest of your post is what I experience in about 70% of my randoms. IE: I dps that last 15-20% of the boss and then rez 4 party members after the priest died to avoidable ground effects, etc. You know the drill.

Anyway, so that's out of the way, can anyone think of a way, with my current gear setup, to go from the ~95% ctc I now have to 102.4? I've gotten, I believe, to roughly 97% via 90 mastery food buff, battle shout, and GOTW among other various party buffs, but it's still off. How is my reforging? I know I can get 15 more mastery by getting the better glove enchant which I think I will do.

Also, many items that might not normally reforged are reforged on my toon because of the retarded amounts of parry my gear has. I'm still pretty high even when reforging what's not going to mastery into dodge.

+ Reply to Thread