+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggested Addons for the upcoming LFR tool?

Suggested Addons for the upcoming LFR tool?

This thread is not about if LFR is a good idea or bad. I simply would like to know what the community thinks would be good addons to make the LFR experience go smoother. I've played with it a little and watched some videos on it, and it needs work to say the least.

The biggest problems I see are identifying and eliminating trolls fast, identifying the under-performers to take either corrective action or remove, communication, and explaining the fights.

So what do people here think would be a good some good addons to help this out? As a non-hardcore raider, I'm very interested in this tool and would like it to succeed.
    Last edited by etou; 11-10-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Make title a question to better convey purpose

A great many of the things you describe are the functions of the raid leader or those they delegate such responsibilities to. How well these tasks are performed will depend more on the one performing them, not the tools they use. You could simply tell everyone to install a damage meter so they can tell who under performed on a boss, but reading a meter and understanding a meter are two very different things. The tools merely provide the information. Your skill in processing that information is what is more important.

Recount doesn't tell me a damage dealer is under performing for their role. It tells me some data about the damage they dealt. From that, I come to my own conclusions about whether it is adequate or not.

Tools don't make decisions for you. They simply provide you with information which ideally helps you make good decisions. Whether or not your decisions are in fact good or not depends on your own interpretation of the information.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

What addons should you have... in general.

Things that help you preform your role. For example, if you're a class which clenses debuffs, you may want to have an addon that makes debuff clensing easier.

What addons should you NOT have.

Addons which spam unneeded information. A failure spamming addon for example will get rather annoying when 25 people are running that in a LFR raid.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

This is exactly what I'm driving at. I'm not looking for tools to make decisions for me. I'm looking for tools that allow a raid leader to quick assess what happened with 24 randoms strangers. For example, there have been TONS of ninja pulls in the LFR on the PTR and when you have to talk to an NPC to pull the boss, it's not immediately obvious who pulled. Of if there is a major mechanic that needs to be followed, it would be nice to quickly see and announce which players were not following it, so that you don't have to watch everything while you're also trying to do your role in the raid.

I guess the biggest things I'm looking for is if anyone has good addons that might assist in explaining a fight, or quickly digest all the information from a wipe and post to the group in clear and concise terms what wiped the group. This is more of a problem when you constantly have to deal with new random people than a group you run with all the time.

I'm also not talking about addons that you should have just to do your role correctly, but addons that help manage a group of strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by etou View Post
    so that you don't have to watch everything while you're also trying to do your role in the raid.
    This is precisely why awareness is one of the key traits of a strong leader. You see something in your chat log that says "Joe stood in fire." I see with my eyes "Sussie is on fire and ran it through Joe." Sorry but the combat logs do not reveal everything about the game, while it does reveal quite a fair bit of information one key factor is not shown. Actual positioning and movement. Your combat log may say that Joe failed, but in reality it may have been Sussie's fault for not doing their job correctly.

You can have combat logs, realtime logs, "failure" monitors and so on. But you have to be aware of what's going on and that no addon can do for you.

This is precisely my greatest fear going into the LFR system. I'm not as worried about individual players being able to do their specific duties because simply put the content is easier to do. I am actually more worried about people without leadership experience and skillset trying to lead a group of 25.

Recount is an essential tool to see who died to what, etc but as said above raid awareness is essential. As a tank I am only aware of about 60% of what's going on outside of Melee range and that's why I don't raid lead. I can't be bothered to meticulously watch what every other player is doing.

Other essentials; DBM for raid warnings. Iirc raid lead can broadcast DBM warnings through /rw which should help.

Also, have a vent or mumble server for anyone to use. Blizzards in game voice system suuuucks.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

A failure spamming addon for example will get rather annoying when 25 people are running that in a LFR raid.
    ya,that probably would be the first person id set up to vote kick.the guy i see spamming "blahblah has stood in the fire 5 times,failbot add on" or whatever it says.nothing annoys me more then seeing failbot spammed on my screen

but meh,as far as what the topic says.deadlybossmods,as far as vent or mumble goes.theres no chance in hell id invite 25 strangers to a vent id own

Recount & fail addon like ensidiafail should be enough to monitor whats going on. As said above just be aware whats going on and see if anyone is slacking on something.

What might help is have a few specific macro's to assign people or quickly explain a strategy.

I have addons to announce when I use CDs etc. I also have an addon for raids that list failed mechanics after the fight (Phoenix style). I find it odd when people get annoyed by them in randoms.

The failure addons seem to be hated most by those directly under me on damage taken. The cd announce seem go be hated by people I Assume are using chat bubbles and at the bottom of dps.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

+ Reply to Thread