+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin trinket choices - what's best for me

Paladin trinket choices - what's best for me

I couldn't find an up-to-date thread on here for pallies, so hoping I'm not making any repeat questions.

Basically, I took a break from tanking in the early summer cuz the threat problems were bothering me too much. Coming back to tanking now (after I finally reading they upped the threat in 4.2) I'm heading into heroics, and started to look at trinkets and can't seem to find a decent replacement for the Impetous Query (http://www.wowhead.com/item=55881/impetuous-query).

I've been farming all the MF vendors for all the tanking gear they had, so I got the Moonwell Phial (http://www.wowhead.com/item=70143) in the one slot, and the query in the other.

I picked up the darkmoon card (http://www.wowhead.com/item=62048) from the AH cuz it was only 1900g (usually the 359 trinkets run around 4-5K on our realm). But until I get some of my lower blue gear replaced, I'm thinking I'm better off with the mastery than the parry/dodge trinkets.

All the raid tanking trinkets seem to be mainly stam trinkets (with cool on-use and equip extras). But for the pre-raid trinkets the choices seem a bit weak.

So what do the pros do for trinkets? Even though I'll be in 5-mans for the most part right now, I still want my gear to be raid-ready - never know when the guild will call (and they voted me the best pally tank on realm which is kinda hard to live up to LOL). I'm not big on the on-use trinkets, but obviously it's hard to get around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledknight View Post
    DMC is strong just reforge to mastery, and +1 to the BH trinket still use it for a couple of bosses in H Firelands
    Baradin Hold exalted reputation: http://www.wowhead.com/item=68713 is one of the most awesome trinkets currently available, tanks still use it going into heroic firelands fights. Takes 7-10 days of Tol'Barad daily questing. Complements the Moonwell Phial very well.

The Porcelain Crab (http://www.wowhead.com/item=56280) is a pretty good trinket, reforge the dodge rating to mastery and enjoy almost/complete CTC for 20 seconds every two minutes.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 11-07-2011 at 01:18 AM.

DMC is strong just reforge to mastery, and +1 to the BH trinket still use it for a couple of bosses in H Firelands
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

The DMC:Earthquake is rubbish. The use effect is, while not useless, pretty crap in comparison to, say, the Porcelain Crab's procc or the Moonwell Phial's use. It is most definitely inferior to the Tol'Barad trinket. I got it for my druid because it was cheap (if a DMC is under 1000g on the AH it isn't going to be very good when other DMCs go for 8k (like the volcano or the tsunami do)).

Get the Tol'Barad trinket, you will use it all the time until you get the trinket from Beth'tilac, at which point it is still useful for fights like Rhyolith, baleroc and ragnaros. It is probably the best 8-10 hours of daily questing you can spend right now (especially if you have completed the Molten Front).

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    The DMC:Earthquake is rubbish. The use effect is, while not useless, pretty crap in comparison to, say, the Porcelain Crab's procc or the Moonwell Phial's use. It is most definitely inferior to the Tol'Barad trinket. I got it for my druid because it was cheap (if a DMC is under 1000g on the AH it isn't going to be very good when other DMCs go for 8k (like the volcano or the tsunami do)).

Get the Tol'Barad trinket, you will use it all the time until you get the trinket from Beth'tilac, at which point it is still useful for fights like Rhyolith, baleroc and ragnaros. It is probably the best 8-10 hours of daily questing you can spend right now (especially if you have completed the Molten Front).
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post

Like I said, I only grabbed it cuz it was cheap . I figure a bigger arsenal of (even mediocre) trinkets is better than not having the right trinkets when you need them. The TB trinket is on my list to get, and a work in progress. Just weren't sure if it was really worth it since the on use is... well very situational. I just had to finish TB on my lock first - limit to how much time I can stand spending in TB each day without going crazy (hate that zone).

I found on the ptr that the premades - except for the bears - come with rubbish trinkets, which merely made me wonder what people do for trinkets in the level of content I can't reach yet. Like I said most the raid trinkets seem to be stam with mitigation proc, which seems so LK like.

Spidersilk Spindle is my main Choice, accompanied by Essence of the Eternal Flame If I don't need the TB CD, TB if I do.

The reason Their aren't all that many Mastery Trinkets is that Paladins are generally getting pretty damn close to Unhittabl, so don't need the huge CTC stat Trinkets.

Ive been using a Spindle and either Essence or Scales of life.
    Might be moving a bit out of topic, but I think people often do Scales injustice by calling it a poor trinket, and wanted to give my thoughts on that specific trinket. Stam may not be as vital as mastery, but it never hurts and is a disirable stat once mastery capped (pallies), and the proc is far from useless.
    Comparing the on use abilities from both trinkets (scales and Mirror):
    If your using the TB trinket to decrease damage income from a single spell, using the scales after the blast would likely leave you at a higher health (considering the spell doesent kill you before you get to self heal) because the mirrors effectiveness is scaling to the damage income and is smaller then the scales heal for all but the hardest hitting abilities.
    Just to examplify my line of thought (illustrative numbers presented), if your getting hit by a 70K damage spell, mirrors on use would raise your magic resist from 20% to 50% (30% increase). You would take 35K less damage, 20K of this due to the mirror. Its the same amount the scales heal you for (for a 70K damage income). The mirror will prevent more damage (in absolute amounts) on more hard hitting magic blasts, and less for the weaker ones.
    On the top of my head i cant think of much other then pre-nerf ragnaros trap damage (I havent done heroic rag pre nerf, but i hear the traps were murder) comming close to the 70K.
    The mirrors advantage is that it is damage prevention (preferable over healing). Scales have the advantage they are usefull for any damage (not just magical).

The other advantge of TB over scales is that say i'm at 69k health and using you example I'm about to take a 70k hit i can pop mirror and live or pop Scales and live before the 70k hit lands, however if i'm at full health i have to pop scales after the hit lands to be effective. Mirror works as a simple CD, you pop it and it works, Scales you have to quite aware of the size of the hit your gonna receive and your current HP and then time the use to be effective.

+ Reply to Thread