+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it worth switching professions from engi/alch to jc/bs as a warrior?

Is it worth switching professions from engi/alch to jc/bs as a warrior?

Hello!

So, I'm currently in a raiding group that is working on heroic firelands (we have killed 3/7 in 10 man) and I'm thinking on switching professions from engineering and alchemy to blacksmithing and jewelcrafting but I am unsure if it will be worth it.

Here is my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Eitar/advanced
    And yes, I know that that is a dps helmet but baleroc haven't been very nice to me

According to my calculations switching would give me around 0.67% more avoidance and still not bring me to the CTC cap. Currently I am above the ctc cap when windwalker procs using mastery food and elixir.

What do you think I should do? Is it worth keeping engineering for the glove tinker and alchemy for the extra time on elixirs/flasks or would it be a huge upgrade to switch to jewelcrafting and blacksmithing for the chimeras eyes and extra sockets?

Best regards, Eitar

Alchemy is, along with BS and JC, one of the only professions that allow you to get extra mastery. If I were you, if you change anything I would change engineering for BS or JC. I would probably choose BS because you get the profession benefit at 400 skill instead of 475 or 500 and is thus much cheaper and quicker to skill up, you don't even need to get to Saronite crafting. Keep Alchemy though, the flask duration is pretty awesome and it is only 2 stat points under JC.

Ah, right, thats true. Blacksmithing would probably be the more viable choice because I already have jewelcrafter alts

Hadn't really thought about it that way, thanks!

Also, alchemy provides TONS of gold as everyone wants their flasks/elixers/truegold cds. Spend off nights farming mats and splitting the proceeds between the guild and the AH to become a billionaire.

Engineering gives some nice little things like cogwheels, the strength tinker, the crafted gun, and the chopper, but that's really all.

Blacksmithing, you can craft gear for an alt to either level in or shard, add sockets at 400, and if you max out you can make some pretty amazing stuff people will pay like crazy for. Masterwork Elementium Deathblade goes for about 16k on my main server, and the one-handers aren't much cheaper.
    I'm way better at holding my liquor than a panda.

Blacksmithing, you can craft gear for an alt to either level in or shard, add sockets at 400, and if you max out you can make some pretty amazing stuff people will pay like crazy for. Masterwork Elementium Deathblade goes for about 16k on my main server, and the one-handers aren't much cheaper.
    hmm,so would blacksmithing actually be better then engineering then.i dont really plan on tanking with my warrior but im like a couple bars away from 85 and was plannin on lvlin my professions soon.i went engineering cuz of the str tinker but from what your saying it sounds like blacksmithing might be better,although i do remember blacksmithing being a pain in the ass to level though

i think they nerfed the sword though.plus it has haste on it and haste is pretty meh for a warrior
    Last edited by PimpJuice4; 11-07-2011 at 04:24 PM.

The Enginnering Tinker's are fine, it works out to be the same as the other Profession bonuses if you would otherwise be gemming Strength agility or Intellect, it can be slightly above par as its alot of stat if you sync it it with CDs 450 extra strength EVERY time (other) you pop your 4pc T12, or recklessness, or deadly calm can be a little better than 80str all the time. THe problem with the Tanking Tinker is that gives armour, which is nice, but mos tanks would prefer Mastery.

Neither Enginneering or Blacksmithing is going make or break your toon.

Part of it depends on your playstyle too.
    Engineering can be nice if you actually remember to use the stuff.
    JC and blacksmithing are nice because their bonuses are "always on". Once you craft a gem and slap it in, it's there. No maintenance. Same with blacksmithing. Once you slap another socket in... it's there. And those are real cheap to add to new gear.

Alchemy is nice because it gives a low-to-maintain buff. Elixirs persist after death. Plus, for a raid group, you become the hero of the day for being able to craft the items needed for a cauldron.

Engineering.... situational. Fun! But situational.

As for Pimp's comment regarding cost.... blacksmithing up between 510 to 525 can be a pain to level. Accumulate truegold now if you plan to push it that high. Otherwise, Fetzie is on the money..... you get the bonus at a much lower level.

Edit:

This.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Neither Enginneering or Blacksmithing is going make or break your toon.
    Ultimately.... none are going to make or break a toon. Consider them "flavor" added.
    No one tanks in a void.........

Engineering can be nice if you actually remember to use the stuff.
    well,the only thing that im probably gonna make that would be like on use would probably be synapses springs.and i figured i could just macro it in with a skill like bladestorm or somethin

but as far as what your sayin about the cost thing with blacksmithing.i generally try to stay away from buying stuff to lvl my professions so i guess if i gotta spend a bunch of gold on lvling blacksmithing and with engineering i didnt have to then i guess ill stay with engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Leucifer View Post
    Elixirs persist after death.
    Sadly not, only flask persists through death. You only get your ~ 120 stamina bonus on the flask and it lasts for 4 hours. You'll have tu use your elixir every try to get the increased mastery + either resistance or armor bonus.

You get the full benefits of blacksmithing at 400/525, there's no reason to level it any further (besides the option the craft something with chaos orbs).

Also, don't forget that there are no worthwhile belt tinkers from engineering for any tank. The only one that can't kill me is the cardboard assassin and that is one of the reasons why I'm thinking of dropping it. The plasma shield has a chance to get you 100% crittable for 10 seconds which is a huge no-no for any tank. That only leaves the Quickflip detection plates (armour) or the synapse springs (str which gives parry and ap). I personally went for synapse springs because I feel like I take less damage with them then without.

However, the constant 80 extra mastery feels like it will help alot more then the rather minor boost to parry synapse springs give. But sure, having a raid worth helmet in the beginning of the next expansion is kinda nice as well...

Still haven't decided what to do

But as for engineering being good: to quote a hunter in my raid group: "Crap, belt failure!" (The times I have wished that other professions could fail as badly as engineering...)

The thing with the belt tinkers is that its just a bit of fun. the Glove enchant has equal item budget as the other profession bonuses. the parachute, the various belt enchants are a bonus on top of that.

Is it worth switching professions from engi/alch to jc/bs as a warrior?

To be honest, the difference between any prof bonuses is minor. The true advantage of min-maxing with BS+JC is that it works equally for both specs of dual spec. Extra sockets and extra large gems means that the bonus is always your best stat. In the end, it's just not that much different.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

+ Reply to Thread