Thread: Hagara the Stormbinder

Hagara the Stormbinder

I will update this to keep it up to date with changes from both the PTR and live servers. The strategy that I post is what my guild/group used to kill the boss on PTR or live. If you have a more efficient suggestion please post to let me know.

Hagara, one of the first students of arcane magic under the Forsaken, showed surprising potential for one who had started learning so late in life. But her undisciplined attempts to bind elements into servitude, she was ensnared and twisted by the Windlord, Al'Akir. Now fiercely loyal to the Twilight's Hammer, Hagara binds others for her elemental masters to torment.

Ice Lance
    Hagara conjures crystals of ice that launch Ice Lance missiles towards a random player standing near Hagara. Ice Lance inflict 20,000 Frost damage in a 3 yard area around the first player the missiles impacts

Ice Tomb
    Hagara traps 2/5 (10/25) random players a tomb of ice, stunning the targets until other players destroy the Ice Tombs.

Shattered Ice
    Hagara Launches a blast of ice a random player, infliciting 78,000 Frost damage and reduces the players's movement speed for 4 seconds.

Focused Assault
    Hagara rapidly slices at her currect target, swinging for 50% normal weapon damage every .5 seconds for 5 seconds.

Frozen Tempest (Phase)
    Hagara channels and fills the platform with a tempest of water and ice. The Tempest protects Hagar from all attacks and spells.

Binding Crystal
    Four binding crystals move along the outside of the platform. Destroying all four of the crystals stops Hagara's channeling of Frozen Tempest.

Watery Entrenchment
    Any player standing within Hagara's water bubble drowns, inflicting damage equal to 15% of their maximum health every second and reducing their movement speed by 50%

Ice Wave
    Four equidistant lines of ice extend out from Hagara and sweep across the platform. The Ice Wave inflicts 200,000 Frost Damage on any player caught by its movement and increases their Frost damage taken by 50% for 2.5 seconds.

Icicles
    Snowpacked Icicles fall around the edges of the platform. Where the icicles impacts the ground, it inflicts 100,000 Frost damage and knocks back any nearby players within 7 yards.

Frostflake
    Hagara places a Frostflake on a random player, reducing their movement speed by 10% and an addition 10% every 1 second for 15 seconds When the Frostflake effect expires, a 10 yard radius area of frost forms underneath that player. The frost reduces any player's movement speed standing within the area by 50%.

Lightning Storm (Phase)
    Hagara channels a lightning storm to electrocute the players on the platform. A Water Shield protects Hagara from all attacks and spells.
    When players overload every Crystal Conductor, the feedback stops her channeling and causes her to suffer an Electrocution.

Electrocution
    The feedback from the overloaded Crystal Condoctors stuns Hagara and increases her damage taken by 100% for 15 seconds.

Crystal Conductor
    Hagara eight Crystal Conductors to protect herself from the lightning storm.
    -A Crystal conductor charged by the death of a Bound Lightning Elemental casts Lightning Conduit on the nearest player, inflicting 10,000 Nature damage every 1 second.
    Lightning Conduit also connects the affected player to another player or Crystal Conductor within 10 yards.

Bound Lightning Elementals
    Hagara calls elementals to aid her during the Lightning Storm. When a player kills an elemental, it causes a nearby Crystal Conductor to overload and electrocute nearby players.

Heroic
    Storm Pillars Will spawn in the Lightning Phase. These are basic void zones, that do about 30k damage.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 10-28-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

1 tank, 2 to 3 heal on 10 man. On Heroic it is 1 tank ,2 heal due to a tight enrage timer.

The fight decides randomly if you will get Lightning or Frost first. So basically the fight will look like
    p1, lightning, p1, frost, p1, lightning, p1, frost, so on and so forth
    or
    p1, frost, p1, lightning, p1, frost, p1 lightning, so on and so forth
    Currently you can tell if you get frost or lightning first based on what enchantment hagara has on her axes at the start of the encounter. If they look like they are covered snow and frost, frost. If they arc with lightning, lightning.

Seeing as boss blue prints doesn't have a blueprint up for hagara I will use Al'Akir since it is roughly the same size and circular. Which is more important then the graphics in the circle. I will update this once boss blue prints supports dragon soul

This is how we layout the plateform. The boss is represented by the skull, you will attempt to tank her in that position. The markers square, triangle, diamond, and cross represent the spawning position of Bound Lightning Elementals, Ice Waves, and Binding Crystals. More importantly they mark your cardinal direction (square south, diamond north, triangle east, cross west) and can be use for orientation in the encounter.

P1
    We have our dps and healer stand between triangle and square loosely spread.

Stun
    Every transition from a Frost or Thunder phase to 'phase 1' the boss will be stunned for 10 seconds and take 100% more damage.

Ice Lance
    This ability is midly annoying. It deals damage to a target. If a player stands close enough to the beam connect the person to the ice shard (that is firing the icelance(s)) they will also take shard damage.
    The only time this is really dangerous is if you happen to put a beam on your tank, or two. The tank will be taking 20k damage per second along with boss damage. The same applies to if RNG places somebody between two beams. Basically... Spread out and avoid ice lance beams, the damage isn't critical until heroic. But crossing beams can hurt on normal.

Ice Tomb
    On the current PTR build ice tombs do not spread. Like they have on a fight like sindragosa, only the players marked to get tombed get tombed.
    Also it should be noted that the Tombs do not have a suffocation effect. But players can take damage in the tombs, and cannot be healed due to tombs LoS'ing.
    My group positions the tombs on star, and has the players stack close together when tomb'd. The affect is tri-fold.
    -It prevents players from LoS'ing healers, by placing them close to the edge.
    -When close together it allows for cleaves to hit both tombs breaking them faster
    -Positioning them at triangle places them just behind the leading edge of an Ice Wave, normally you will still be dpsing the tombs when the frost phase starts. Therefore we found this to be easiest way to buy us seconds before the ice wave hits the tombed players.

Focused Assault
    It really hurts, but its a channel. It functions just like the flayers in stonecore. Your tank can walk out of it. And should

Shattered Ice
    Nothing to mention, something to keep the healers on their toes.

Frost Phase
    Everyone runs around Hagara. The goal is to avoid her abilities while damaging her totems to end this phase. It is important that players use personal movement cooldowns, or raid movement cooldowns like stamp roar is people start lagging behind.

Binding Crystal
    These 4 'totems' will spawn at the 4 markers (triangle, square, cross, diamond). All 4 must be killed for you to return to p1.

Watery Entrenchment
    Acts like the lich king's frosty AoE. It forces you to the outside edge of the plateform. Basically something you need not stand in.

Ice Wave
    Will slowly rotate around the outside the platform, much like the first encounter of Deadmines, but frost instead of fire. They will rotate anti-clock wise. And spawn at the 4 makers (triangle, square, cross, diamond).

Frostflake
    Dispell it as soon as it goes out. When dispelled it will leave a mini-frost trap type patch, that players need to avoid.

Icicles
    Ice meteors will land on marked spaces, in simplest terms. Don't stand in the void zones.

Lightning Phase

Bound Lightning Elementals
    On the start of the Lightning Phase have your Dps spread out. Two adds will spawn, denoted by 1 and 2. The tank will head to square, and pick up the '1' add. While add 2 is miss directed to him. One add will be then be killed on top of a Crystal Conductor in the vicinity of square. The tank will then take the second add to diamond and the dps will kill it on top of a Crystal Conductor in the vicinity of diamond.

The gimic of this phase, is when a Crystal Conductor is energized (aka an add is killed over it) it will arc lightning to all nearby units (3 to 8 yards roughly). This arc behaves like chain lightning. Namely if one player is standing say 8 yards from a Crystal Conductor and another player stands 5 yards from him. That second player will get hit by lightning, also if the second player is close to another Crystal Conductor that totem will get energized.

Therefore you need to control the position of your dps to move the arcs of thunder to the totems. Once all 8 are energized the boss will transition back to p1.

To do this my raid uses 2 teams of 2 dps each, we move together and arc the thunder form totem to totem, one starts at square and works up the east side, the other starts at square and works up the west side.

It is best that the rest of your players try to stay away from totems as the damage from arcing the thunder is quite high, and combined with the passive damage everyone takes in this phase healers can quickly be over whelmed.

Storm Pillars
    These from on heroic. They are voidzones. They look like mini-RoF's (Rings of Frost). In short, don't stand in them.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 10-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Currently on the PTR, Focused Assault can be outranged if your tank is quick (Heroic Leap, or just moving quickly) making healing just a bit easier.

Ice Lance also does splash damage, so if you have 3 melee targeted by it, it can be another nuisance for the healers. What I have done is just have any ranged DPS, and a healer or two if necessary, stand between the origination of the Ice Lance and their target (a-la Netherspite) and take the damage at ranged rather than having the splash in melee. The Ice Lance also decreases attack speed, so it only make sense to keep it off the melee.

We would also pull her to the other ring for every P1, as you call it, to keep people from getting slowed if she does Frost first, and just to keep Ice Tombs closer together.

In the lightning phase, only 1 Elemental spawns on 10 man normal. There are 2 in 10 man heroic and 25 man normal, but in both of those there are 8 conduits, so it looks like you're missing the other four icons in your image.

Quote Originally Posted by Erinis View Post
    Currently on the PTR, Focused Assault can be outranged if your tank is quick (Heroic Leap, or just moving quickly) making healing just a bit easier.
    Its mentioned
    Focused Assault
    It really hurts, but its a channel. It functions just like the flayers in stonecore. Your tank can walk out of it. And should
    Ice Lance also does splash damage, so if you have 3 melee targeted by it, it can be another nuisance for the healers. What I have done is just have any ranged DPS, and a healer or two if necessary, stand between the origination of the Ice Lance and their target (a-la Netherspite) and take the damage at ranged rather than having the splash in melee. The Ice Lance also decreases attack speed, so it only make sense to keep it off the melee.
    Look at the ice lance section. I will try to clarify a bit

We would also pull her to the other ring for every P1, as you call it, to keep people from getting slowed if she does Frost first, and just to keep Ice Tombs closer together.
    I was thinking of including this, but we only had one wipe to people getting slowed. Also my guild was thinking of dropping the tombs right by the boss. We haven't had a chance to try it yet (maybe tomorrow blizzard providing). I know some groups wan to avoid this for focused assault, but the extra damage from cleaves seems decent and increases boss DPS.

In the lightning phase, only 1 Elemental spawns on 10 man normal. There are 2 in 10 man heroic and 25 man normal, but in both of those there are 8 conduits, so it looks like you're missing the other four icons in your image.
    I did not know this. When I tested 10's first day we got 2, next I saw of the fight was heroic. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    I was thinking of including this, but we only had one wipe to people getting slowed. Also my guild was thinking of dropping the tombs right by the boss. We haven't had a chance to try it yet (maybe tomorrow blizzard providing). I know some groups wan to avoid this for focused assault, but the extra damage from cleaves seems decent and increases boss DPS.
    It may have just been because I've just been in a lot of PuGs, granted the kills were in guild groups looking for just one or two more people, but it just seemed easier than having the boss in the middle and having the PTR PuGs freak out when they get slowed and run around in a circle and die.
    And keeping the boss and group limited to the side would, at the least, halve the area they have to spread out. It's just to keep from having to run across the platform between Tombs. But I guess a lot of these things come from having PuGs and trying to simplify things for them as much as possible, almost to the point of making it like they're tunneling on a dummy. I mean, if you had your guild group and you had Vent and some kind of co-ordination it wouldn't be a problem.

I did not know this. When I tested 10's first day we got 2, next I saw of the fight was heroic. Thanks for keeping me straight.
    I guess they changed it, because last week (the week of the 10/25 reset, I can't remember the day) I did a 10 man normal, 10 man heroic attempts. And 10 man normal had one Elemental and 4 Conduits, 10 man heroic had the two Elementals and 8 Conduits.
    But reading the Dungeon Journal as I'm posting this, 10 man normal and heroic, AND 25 man normal and heroic all show as having 2 Elementals and 8 Conduits, while the Raid Finder has 2 Elementals and 4 Conduits.

I guess it's gonna take some more testing to figure this one out for sure. If I can get a group to get to Hagara or they have more testing for her I'll definitely pay attention to that.

Look at the ice lance section. I will try to clarify a bit
    Again, I'm sorry, I was just skimming. I didn't come in here trying to be like "These things are wrong with your guides and here's what you missed." I just wanted to add my input for things I thought weren't really know. But again, I guess that comes from my experience with pretty much just PuGs and having to help out a lot.

A very easy way to deal with the focussed assault mechanic is to keep 2 tanks, and one at ranged simply taunts the moment he sees focussed assault go off; it'll do no damage as the boss turns and stares at the other tank (without moving). There's no enrage timer to my knowledge (or it's extremely forgiving), and the offtank can also easily grab some of the beams if they're in a bad spot.

During the lightning phase, when the one tank grabs an elemental we kill it near one of the points that has to be turned off, at the same time the healers and offtank are forming the first chain already (melee, then ranged, then healers, then offtank, so the first point turns off right away.

The only real dangers to this fight are focussed assault killing a tank, people not reacting in time to the ice that goes out from the boss and circles the arena (clockwise every time it seems), or not breaking people out of iceblocks fast enough. Do the taunt trick or have a very fast tank move out for the first, call out when ice is coming and have people position themselves to have plenty of breathing space before they start rotating around the arena, and make sure all the iceblock people clump in a pre-determined area (near the middle with the boss is fine).

Heroic had a DPS check on the PTR, I do not know if it is still present. It may be removed but that will make the fight a snore fest.

What I did last night was use Holy Shield for the first Focused Assault, Divine Protection for the second and Holy Shield for the third, the cooldowns line up perfectly.

edit: What we just did with the alts was just have the tank move away from the boss as soon as the FA starts and the boss cancels the channel to chase after the tank.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 12-04-2011 at 09:45 AM.

We noticed that FA followed the tank if he/she strafes, but will break if he/she backs directly up.