+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Previous content servers - a must have

Leucifer answered the thread. Good job.

I've got a theory about a possible side-effect of the dungeon finder. Those random dudes who will quit after one death, I think they only know how to find the instance portal by queuing. I have experienced some difficulty myself; it takes some exploration to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaronis View Post
    Leucifer answered the thread. Good job.

I've got a theory about a possible side-effect of the dungeon finder. Those random dudes who will quit after one death, I think they only know how to find the instance portal by queuing. I have experienced some difficulty myself; it takes some exploration to solve.
    This is one of the reasons why I was unhappy with the decision to remove the requirement of actually physically removing the requirement to "discover" the dungeon entrance, people learnt the corpse run before they entered the dungeon.

I played back then, old raiding was not that great. Sure a number of us look back with rose-tinted glasses but that's just what they are. Encounters are almost always tank and spank, hybrid meant healer, you had to farm all week to have every type of potion and flask on because there were no limitations, player buffs were necessary yet had stupidly short durations, no summon stones, and no food tables.

To remember fondly at these times was not the raiding but the people you raided with.

I would never have really got into raiding in Classic if I had been in a raid that expected a 100+ gold buff bar (1000g in today's money), I am also happy that the guild bank can, basically, fund our raid's flask, food and repair costs from Cash Flow + the dungeon/raid challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashiira View Post
    I played back then, old raiding was not that great. Sure a number of us look back with rose-tinted glasses but that's just what they are. Encounters are almost always tank and spank, hybrid meant healer, you had to farm all week to have every type of potion and flask on because there were no limitations, player buffs were necessary yet had stupidly short durations, no summon stones, and no food tables.
    This. 100% This.

In Molten Core:

Warriors were tanks, if you were dps you still had some 16 points in prot because you would eventually over aggro and tank.
    Paladins stood 60 yards away from the boss and rez'd people because they could do nothing else.
    Druids cast intervate... And attempted to heal.
    Mages were frost, but still had to spec deep arcane for evocation.
    Priests had to have some 30 keybinds for every rank of every spell to have maximum mana efficieny. Also if you were alliance you were the only class that could heal.
    Hunters could AFK for the entire fight, and nothing would change
    Rogues had one button, sinister strike.

Also you couldn't raid in about 50% of the gear the dropped from here. Because none of it had Fire Resist. So all it was good for was standing around in SW looking cool with.

Oh and are we forgetting the fun of BWD. Most people weren't in a good guild at the time, racing for progression kills yet (hell most people weren't max level). But as I recall if two guilds on my server engaged Nefarion at the same time.... Our realm crashed. So we had to organize pulls between two guilds, so we could keep our server up.

Don't get me started on AQ, which is in my opinion the second worst raid ever.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Previous content servers - a must have

I would love to lead from the front and I know I could but the person who said that, if you were military then you know free time is rare. My days so far have been work all day then crash on the bed to sleep. If I had someone with more free time to help me out by falling in place in my absence then yeah sounds great. Only guy I can think of is my bro, and since he's civilian I think he could help interpret my goals to most gamers. I try to explain it myself and I start using army lingo lol
    "Listen up, baddies" was the first three words those 3 from the same guild on another server said to us. We later wiped on trash.....twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashiira View Post
    To remember fondly at these times was not the raiding but the people you raided with.
    I heartily agree, but it is not only this, it is also the other circumstances in the lives of those players that make them look fondly on those times.

I have fond memories of raiding in TBC because of who I raided with and because this was against a backdrop of other stuff going on in my life.

Even if I could get the people back and the content back, I cannot recreate my RL circumstances at that time. So the result would be different and would probably be a dissappointment.

People asking for Vanilla/TBC servers really don't understand what they're asking for and that they won't be able to get the experience back they once had. That alone is a good enough reason for Blizz not to make those servers, even before you consider all the other logistical and finanical reasons.

One thing I would like to chime in is I think a very good implementation Blizzard should do is create leveling servers. Blizzard needs to attract new players and I dont see how new players can fall in love with this game the same way a Vanilla player could have by doing streamlined quest an empty world while sitting in queue for a dungeon where they get ported in.

A leveling character could have a choice on whether they want to go to their designated server or to a leveling server. Players 5 levels above each other wont be able to attack one another (since I'm pretty sure people would grief others at level 84 and you would be able to have your friend jump on his main to save you) and for the most part the LFD tool will be a last resort when your spamming for a group for too long, and non of the porting crap, that should be a convience appreciated after you hit the leveling cap.

I started playing WoW in Vanilla ended up in Goldshire where there were tons of other lowbies to associate with and duel, getting ganked by rogues, and running Deadmines for the first time knowing that there was still so much to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by STBU View Post
    Today's pvp is a joke. No one cares about winning, nor do they offer healers any protection or even organize for a coordinated strike. Pvpers have no competitive spirit any more.
    I'm quite with you here. Pvpers today really need to do their work through cooperation.
    wow sidekick---safely getting decent gears

+ Reply to Thread