+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior gearing tuneup for H Rag 10

Prot Warrior gearing tuneup for H Rag 10

Our guild just made it to H Rag last night and we started working on him. Im finding that I am having zero issues with threat and TBH, Im not dying. Im just going to try to make my healers life as easy as possible due to the damage that flys around during that fight. As it currently sits, with raid buffs I am at ~91.5 ctc with standard raid buffs and no cooldowns. I have some hit pieces that I reforged out of to gain expertise to boost threat because we had some overzealous dps in our group. I might make another gearset just for rag thats all mitigation to help out.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rucilak/simple

Thanks in advance.

moved to HALP!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Your only using two for you JC gems. Also you are using them for stam, which its better to use them for mastery. I believe, I know 25's have some large burst damage at times and gemming stam is viable but it depends how close you are to full CTC.

You will want to to use the Tol Barad Resistance trinket. A lot of the spike damage you will take will be from magically sources + a boss swing, mitigating one of these helps.

Your reforging to a dps stat on your weapon, I would suggest more dodge.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Thanks for the catch on the the 2 jc gems. We've really been upgrading out gear as of late. Currently as it sits, rag smacks me for -70k tops per melee swing. There is a 91% chance that won't happen.As stated earlier, the expertise was there too boost initial threat since some of my dos don't like holding back during the initial pull. I might drop some exp to boost ctc a little though.

If initial threat is the only threat issue I would suggest reforging out of threat stats and using recklessness on the pull. As long as you combine it with Shield Block the temporary increase in damage taken is manageable at the pull.

I did drop my expertise from 10 to 4 and brought my ctc up to 93%. Also removed the 2 stam jc gems and replaced them with mastery gems. I also purchased another Giantslicer and reforged it for tanking and I have my other one for dps. When youre clearing HM's its amazing how fast you accumulate valor points.

I dont have the threat problems that I thought I would have. I still dont think I want to go any lower though.

As stated before, Im not having trouble surviving, but I seem to be better at taking a beating than I did before. Thanks for the help so far.

I wouldn't worry about not having expertise at all. If you're worried about initial threat, there are a few tricks you can use. Here's my pull method, I find it works very well because it gives DPS something visual to know when it's OK to actually right click on the boss. Just fyi I have SB maccro'd to devastate which is why it appears so early in my rotation.
    I generally keep HS on CD while SB is up, also after I pull back from the other tank i use SB, Inner Rage, Reck, and proceed to spam HS. If you want to use this combo for opener that works too, i usually don't because it forces me to stall my GCD for a few seconds more than I'd like. Start 25ish yards from your tanking position. I believe if you heroic leap to the boss and charge in midair damage is applied for both moves. Idk if you use any type of pull timer or if you have a manual call for pre-pot, but you want to do shout and IR as DPS pre-pot. You can also pop a str pot for your initial aggro. anyway, my opener as follows:

Shout> Inner Rage> heroic leap> charge in mid-air> Dev> HS/SS> apply and maintain other debuffs (rend, TC, sunder armor, Demo shout) while keeping SS on CD and spamming HS and hitting Rev when it procs. Basically normal rotation.

So basically when DPS see me magically appear in the bosses face, they know it's ok to go Pew Pew.

Since when did charge do damage Greg? I think you're a bit too quick with putting up your debuffs (if you macro SB into dev you're getting 1 (count it) SS during your first shield Block so its definetly NOT the ideal single target opener froma TPS. Best opener for threat ignores putting up your debuffs, the OT can do the important ones easy enough, and I don't get why everyone seem obsessed with stacking sunder as fast as possible (its pretty much a 1% physical damage increase per stack) and using a proper rotation it goes up fast enough anyway (if the raid wants ths buf up ASAP make the other tank go first so you can stack it while he pulls).

shout/prepot, recklessness HT>charge/SB>SS>dev>ss/dev>ss/CB/dev

basically wou want as many HR SSs in the opening SB as possible and weaving a CB in at the point where you'e not going to shorten SS's CD. CB is a crap ton of threat (10x damage done threat modifier now)

Teng, thats pretty much the same rotation I go through to pull. So far no issues.

In my group we have a Marks hunter that sometimes forgets to MD, a 33-40k dps arcane mage, a feral kitty thats take on the whole subject is "Threat is your problem, not mine."

Yeah i just wanted to get that Greg's advice was counter intuitive if he's advising it as a maxThreat opener.

+ Reply to Thread