+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MoP: Why So Much Angst?

MoP: Why So Much Angst?

Really just wanted to get some thoughts from people on the planned expansion for WoW. Seems like there's a lot of "hate" on various forums. I really don't get it? Why not reserve some judgement on it? Instead, I'm seeing people declaring it fail and in many cases, contradicting a lot of the reasoning Blizzard is using for making some of the changes.

A good example being that, people hated that talents felt meaningless and were just fluff. Blizzard responded by making tiers of talents, where in each tier, they tried to make each talent something desirable, giving the selection greater impact. Yet, I'm seeing people whining about how it's "lack of choice" and very "cookie-cutter". Yes, there are fewer talents. But how is that worse than the current state where, unless you pick the same exact talents as every other player of your class, you're not optimized? Is it really that horrible that, every talent on a given tier is actually competitive with the others?

I've never been one to staunchly defend Blizzard but a lot of the commentary seems ridiculous. I'm posting this as a bit of a sanity check. What are your thoughts on the planned expansion? Does it really seem "fail" to you? And please, give some logical feedback, some real reasoning, and not just garbage like:

I agree with a poster on another forum: Blizz doesn't really care about WoW, they are focused on their new MMO, and the B-Team devs just aren't cutting it. This expansion has "Fail" written all over it. But hey, if all it takes is a fat cuddly bear to please you, it will hopefully keep you from SW:ToR, so I guess Blizz is doing us a favor.
    Sanity check:
    Begin.
    No one tanks in a void.........

I'm not thrilled about MoP, simply because the setting and style of the expansion isn't really my thing. I much prefer a standard medeival fanstasy setting to an oriental setting. I'm sure enough people will like the new style for it to be a success, it's just not my preference. I'll definitely try it. I only play WoW to raid at this point, so the quality of the new raids will determine whether I keep playing.

ya,raiding and pvp are really the only reason i play anymore.but i dont know,i guess it all depends on if they fixed the problems that cataclysm had.i honestly dont feel like having another lack of content expansion where the majority of people i know only log in to raid or pvp because theres just nothing really else to do

i'm psyched because announcements are about making big news out of new things. "new tier of raiding" isn't news to me anymore, sure finding out who the big bad boss will be important, and since this is a pre-alpha, maybe they haven't gotten there yet, so instead they opted to announce all of the other new things, which in my opinion doesn't take away from anything else they're providing, new race, new class, new faction wars, new scenarios, new pet battle system (that if you don't like, don't touch, just like people who don't care for non-combat pets, don't collect em, this is no different).

To me, there's nothing bad here, and free d3 with a 1 year commitment? who am i kidding, i'm going to be playing wow anyways, so free d3, yay!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Jack Black j***ed all over this expansion SO hard, I'd be surprised if the CD itself wasn't sticky.
    I wonder how many times we'll have to remind people that Pandaren (And the community's extremely positive response to them) came looooong before Kung Fu Panda?

Lets take bets! I'm gonna go with 17,261

I guess the thing that really grinded my gears was the preview trailer. It seemed gearded toward someone like me specifically, veteran raider that loved killing big bad end bosses... then just went... PANDAS!!!! To me, it felt like a troll video.

I've said it in many other threads, but basically I've calmed down a little since then and realized that these are probably good things for blizzard, but they're just not things I'm personally interested in. It's just not for me, and that's fine. Things that interest me are big bad raid bosses, and so far their plans for them seem more like, "anndddd... there will still be raiding."

Again, I was already probably going to quit, and blizzard isn't really giving me any reasons to stay so far.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I'll hold final judgement once we get closer to release.
    But right now as things stand I do no like what I have seen of the new xpac. Pandaren and Monks being added I can live with, a new area that is Orient flavored no issues.
    Its the extreme change to gameplay that has been hinted at that is my issue atm. Hinted at removal of Auto-Attack, extreme hacking of the talent trees to just 6 talents without even giving us a hint of what will be "standard" for each spec. But this all might be tossed by release just like the Titan Paths for WotLK were.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Again, I was already probably going to quit, and blizzard isn't really giving me any reasons to stay so far.
    Depending on how Old Republic goes, that might be very true for me.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I'll hold final judgement once we get closer to release.
    But right now as things stand I do no like what I have seen of the new xpac. Pandaren and Monks being added I can live with, a new area that is Orient flavored no issues.
    Its the extreme change to gameplay that has been hinted at that is my issue atm. Hinted at removal of Auto-Attack, extreme hacking of the talent trees to just 6 talents without even giving us a hint of what will be "standard" for each spec. But this all might be tossed by release just like the Titan Paths for WotLK were.
    auto-attack removal isn't set in stone for anything but Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    (And the community's extremely positive response to them)
    Sigh.. Not one of these again..

Reference or it didn't happen.

My first reaction was along the lines of, "Really? Panda bear race, was all they could come up with?!"

But, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's not like it will harm the "storyline", which, quite frankly, is so convoluted and contrived, as to be indistinguishable from non-existent.

I like the Oriental feel...I was thrilled by the new attack animations, and I can't wait to try out the Monk class. So much so, that I got the year sub deal, too. Not so much for the Diablo game, which I'll probably only play a level or two, before I get bored/creeped out, but for the beta key!

The talent tree changes don't really concern me, mostly because I don't think they've really "fleshed" them out, yet. I do like the concept of having more ability to make my characters unique, but I'm skeptical of their ability to really accomplish that.

Back to the artwork...did I mention that I'm thrilled at the new animations?

Can I name my Monk, KwaichangCain?
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    But, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's not like it will harm the "storyline", which, quite frankly, is so convoluted and contrived, as to be indistinguishable from non-existent.
    I think the story lines will get better and less convoluted; Blizzard spent a good deal of money hiring Hollywood screen writing talent to try and improve the story telling. I think that's why Cataclysm has several dangling story lines that can drawn upon later. I also see more foreboding in this expansion then I did in WoLK. The set ups for future stories seem to be here and seem to have been thought out prior to Cata. In other words, I think they're looking 2 or 3 expansions ahead for the stories.

The Cataclysm sets up a "new" race being uncovered; Garrosh as warchief sets the tone for total war, which will dominate the next expansion, meanwhile, for a future time there's Vash'jr which doesn't really fit with Deathwing, but is a battleground for Alliance and Horde, remember the Alliance is taking a ship to a new Island to battle the Horde before the ship gets ganked by the Octopus. This doesn't even get to wtf is going to happen with Bolvar? Can he be all good and not get consumed; I recall reading somewhere that the shards of Frostmourne were collected by I forget who, so what happens if Bolvar comes in contact with shards of Frostmourne?

Lot's of new avenues for them to pursue; seems a conscious attempt to not write themselves into a corner.

They're giving themselves a lot to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I've said it in many other threads, but basically I've calmed down a little since then and realized that these are probably good things for blizzard, but they're just not things I'm personally interested in. It's just not for me, and that's fine.
    And, Agg, I'm perfectly fine with that. It's not to your taste, and that's fine. You're not confusing '"Blizzard doesn't know what they're doing" with "they're not (so far) putting out a bunch of stuff I want". The whole 'WTF Pandas, Blizzard is stupid!' gets old after the hundredth time, you know? Thanks for your (and Reev's) posts on this.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    alright, anyone that questions Pandaren - READ http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren zomg lore and background from WC3 timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    i'm psyched because announcements are about making big news out of new things. "new tier of raiding" isn't news to me anymore, sure finding out who the big bad boss will be important, and since this is a pre-alpha, maybe they haven't gotten there yet, so instead they opted to announce all of the other new things, which in my opinion doesn't take away from anything else they're providing, new race, new class, new faction wars, new scenarios, new pet battle system (that if you don't like, don't touch, just like people who don't care for non-combat pets, don't collect em, this is no different).

To me, there's nothing bad here, and free d3 with a 1 year commitment? who am i kidding, i'm going to be playing wow anyways, so free d3, yay!
    See, I'm kinda with you on this Kaz. If you don't like the new pet battle system, meh... you don't have to use it, but it's there for people who want it. They've kinda hinted that there isn't a "Dr. Evil" for this expansion, but so what. It's not like there really was one for Vanilla. I mean, BC had Illidan, though, he wasn't really on a "try to take over the world!!!!," kick. WotLK had Arthas. Cata had/has Deathwing. Do we HAVE to have another all-powerful out-to-conquer/destroy/enslave-the-world big bad guy? There are some people that have complained that these expacs were too lovey-dovey and too much Alliance/Horde get-along-gang crap. So, they're making an expac that will feature faction tension. Heck, for all we know, the expac's final "raid boss" will be Garrosh/Varian. Make the players real "king-killers".

I just don't see what's wrong with a change of pace. To me, Blizzard not-caring would be, "We're releasing an expansion with 5 extra talent points per tree, we are releasing one new class since we just created two new races, evil giant boss Dingleberry is out to ensalve the Pandaren and conquer the world and it's up to Alliance and Horde to work together to free them, and we're not making any changes to how anything else works." They are doing more than just the same-old. The things they're bringing out in MoP, to me it says that they ARE listening. Maybe not to the people I'd prefer, but it does show that they are trying to make it OUR game and not just dictating "this is how it's gonna be".

And like you, D3 with a game I was going to play anyway? I already signed up! I understand some people are saying/thinking, "They're just trying to not lose players in WoW to D3." That may be true, but what's wrongabout what they're doing? They are giving you FREE ACCESS to D3. If you just want to play D3, you can do it still. They're not stopping you. I get the feeling that Blizzard is screwed wither way with some people. It'll be "OMG they're pandering and trying to cling to fans by packaging WoW and D3 together. WoW must be failing if they have to do that." Or it'll be "OMG look how greedy they are linking the two together to make a few extra bucks. They'll make a fortune off the D3 AH and they're hooking people into a long term committment to WoW."

I think people just want to b!tch about something. Honestly. And as much as I hate to say this, it's pushing me into Blizzard's corner.

free diablo 3 with a 1 year commitment to wow.i guess thats what happens when you run out of retarded looking mount ideas that every kid will buy and have to resort to other ways of getting peoples money

eather way,ill probably play diablo 3.but hell will freeze over before i pay for a 1 year commitment to wow just so i can play diablo 3 for free,blizzard gets enough of my money thru paying the subscription fee to world of warcraft

eather way,ill probably play diablo 3.but hell will freeze over before i pay for a 1 year commitment to wow just so i can play diablo 3 for free,blizzard gets enough of my money thru paying the subscription fee to world of warcraft
    That doesn't even make sense, why would you keep paying for WoW but choose to NOT get the free Diablo 3?

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    And, Agg, I'm perfectly fine with that. It's not to your taste, and that's fine. You're not confusing '"Blizzard doesn't know what they're doing" with "they're not (so far) putting out a bunch of stuff I want". The whole 'WTF Pandas, Blizzard is stupid!' gets old after the hundredth time, you know? Thanks for your (and Reev's) posts on this.
    EXACTLY!

Summed up nicely my own thoughts. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    That doesn't even make sense, why would you keep paying for WoW but choose to NOT get the free Diablo 3?
    why should i pay for a game im not even playing,when diablo 3 comes out.im logging out of wow,and logging into diablo 3 and playing that instead of world of warcraft.i would of already left when casualclysm came out but theres just nothing else out that looks interesting or wont fail.or would probably be filled with whiney ex wow players

+ Reply to Thread