+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing for Cata instances

Gearing for Cata instances

Currently leveling through just tanking instances, what would be good gear to get to transition from wotlk instances into the cataclysm instance?

I recommend questing through Cataclsym. It's faster leveling, and the rep will be much more beneficial for gearing later.

That said, if you don't care about ease of access later, for lack of better words to the same end, get tank gear. Green/blue zone drops off trash that itemize well, boss loot, etc. If you level by tanking, I'm going to assume you know what stats you need. Also, see the AH for JC stuff. Nice tanking rings and necks from JC.
    I'm way better at holding my liquor than a panda.

^----<---- What he said.

That said, as you're questing there isn't any harm in hitting up LFG and seeing what you get as it is a good way to get loot and experience of the instances before you hit the heroics. However, I wouldn't worry about farming them. As Charon says, there is plenty of good loot to be had from questing, especially the Firelands quests once you hit level 85.

If you've got a reasonable stack of cash, you can buy a lot of crafted ilvl 359 tanking gear cheap on the AH, so you can quickly fill a few slots with that before you even get stuck into the heroics and rep grinding.

If leveled through questing would there be any large difference from tanking the wotlk dungeons and the cata dungeons. My only concern is if I am not ready or able to tank it well.

Since this is my first time tanking I fear doing badly. So figured just straight dungeons would help prepare for stuff.

From the stand point of getting to know fights, I can agree with your desires (Thus leveled my shaman through LFD.. paying for it now. >.<) but questing is WAY faster and makes gearing easier through raising rep with the various factions.
    I'm way better at holding my liquor than a panda.

Gearing for Cata instances

The itemevel requirement is going to force you to gear through the ICC raid (don't do this) buy gear from the AH, or get some Cara quest rewards. I would highly recommend getting the tabards for the zones you are high enough level to get before dungeon crawling if that is your preferred method.

I.E.
    Level 80: Go to va'jir and get friendly and get the tabard. Also go to hyjal get friendly + tabard. Should help with item level and now you can dungeon a bit. Repeat for each new zone you unlock.

Having said that, if you choose this way you will likely have a lot of questing to go back and do for rep+ assorted other things.

I have done both ways. Neither is better/worse. Just a question of preference really. You end up needing to do it all anyways.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I would say do each instance a few times to get a general handle on the fights, but your best bet for gear and especially rep to help with gear and head enchants later on is to quest. Deepholm is about the only zone I really do a huge amount of questing on my alts just to unlock Therazane (but then again I have 6 85s and Cata quests actually bore me, unlike BC or Wrath I actually don't have a favorite zone to quest in with Cata).

+ Reply to Thread