+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tankspot's Blizzcon 2011 Info feed - DAY ONE

Damn Kaze.. I can honestly say I've never seen you that pissed.

Kemanorel, thanks for pointing that out. I think I might actually guarantee Blizzard $150. Who knows? Maybe Diablo 3 will even run on my compusarus!

General statement: If you wanna insult a company for rewarding FUTURE subscription rather than past, you're entitled to your opinion and to an extent I agree. HOWEVER, I've found my time playing World of Warcraft quite rewarding in itself by way of in-game accomplishments, new friends met along the way (Some of whom I've grown quite close to), and the fact that I can take out my aggression from work/life/stress on both NPCs and other players without threat of a prison sentence.

If you wish to insult their intellectual property by likening it to another IP, that's also your opinion. Just realize this: I, and many others, will continue to play this great game and enjoy the content provided, thus keeping ourselves occupied and the designers of this rather enjoyable game employed. You might cancel your subscription, and that's fine! People might even miss you in-game! You, however, do not have to continue playing nor even commenting about the game. If you DO continue to play and subscribe, despite talking shit, that just makes you look like a hypocrite and a jackass. Nobody likes either of those.

Have a nice day.
    -Charřn
    I'm way better at holding my liquor than a panda.

The only issue I have with people going "OMG Pandas?! WTF? Soo childish!" is that... you know you are playing a game with a race almost entirely based on cows right? I mean... *cows*.

If a race that's effectively based on a cow is ok, why does a panda suddenly become unacceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by swills View Post
    The only issue I have with people going "OMG Pandas?! WTF? Soo childish!" is that... you know you are playing a game with a race almost entirely based on cows right? I mean... *cows*.

If a race that's effectively based on a cow is ok, why does a panda suddenly become unacceptable?
    And, just like those same cows, we saw Pandaren in WC3, so they're not out of nowhere...

I am slightly disappointed that the game took a turn for what, at a glance, appears to be a less serious direction (when the alternate ideas for expansions are epic battles with Naga or exploring the Emerald Dream \drool), but I still think that the game play sounds compelling and the areas look amazing (they really are pulling a lot out of a tired engine here). IMO there is a lot to look forward to here, new class, talent system, scenarios, world bosses, just to name a few. Also WoW always has had a comic aspect to it; my hope is that they have managed to find a good balance between the comic and serious elements (just as they've always done).

Over all I'm looking forward to the next expansion, should be epic
    "Cattank is strong" Cattank: Creature - Legend.

People just looking for reasons to quit.

WoW has always been half lighthearted and silly, half serious. The entire graphics engine is basically a cartoon. Half of everything in the game is either a pop culture reference or a joke in some way. We have elves with green hair, gnomes with pink mohawks and squeaky voices, dwarves with near-comical scottish accents, space goats, biped cows that actually moo, but somehow all that was super serious and acceptable.

Then come Pandaren (which were in Warcraft before) and everyone assumes that they're going to herald in some crazy shift in the game where there's no more raids, no more serious stuff, just happy hello kitty pandas? It just sounds so ridiculous.

I honestly don't understand the argument of the game taking a direction of being less serious. Have you guys noticed that the story line comes down to us destroying part of Pandaria and thus increasing the power of the Sha? This expansion is basicly about dealing with the consequences of our actions. Is there a more adult theme than this?

BTW, the Sha seems to be a hell of an enemy. Probably one that can bug us thru all the expansion since they are generated by negative energy. And all that war generates is negative energy meaning we probably will create the biggest enemy of this expansion ourselfs.

My biggest problem is with the Pandaren race and culture being the theme for the next expansion. It would've been great if there was a zone with them, they were a neutral faction you get rep with or some instance... something small, like a content patch. The whole expansion centered around them I think is too much and also playing as one of 'em.

Besides that, I there are tons of stuff that interests me; the new talent system, the PvE challenges, the PvP focus (although we may just have been trolled on that one) and world bosses returning.
    Grindhouse @ Laughing Skull (EU)
    Current progress: 13/13 HC T11, 7/7 HC T12, 8/8 HC T13

As I stated my first reaction to the trailer was "lame"; but as I read more of what they're doing, I'm starting to like what I'm hearing. While I love to raid, but I'd like more to do. I really think there's a "I walked 10 miles to school up hill both ways in the snow every day" group that just won't accept anything but trip back to Vanilla.

There are 11 million subscribers and Blizz is getting shit on for trying to make things for people other than hardcore raiders to do and have fun with, remember fun, it's a game, it's a fantasy world, it's not real.

I have no doubt that the raids will be well done and that the world will be beautifully put together. Will I fight with pets, probably not but then again no one says I have to.

Space goats, Gnomes and Cows are definitely more believable than Pandas. Can you imagine that a fantasy game has Pandas - holy crap what were they thinking.

I guess since it's going to be so simple and childish, I'll be seeing lots of heroic end boss kills by everyone in the first week. Paragon look out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    People just looking for reasons to quit. WoW has always been half lighthearted and silly, half serious. The entire graphics engine is basically a cartoon. Half of everything in the game is either a pop culture reference or a joke in some way. We have elves with green hair, gnomes with pink mohawks and squeaky voices, dwarves with near-comical scottish accents, space goats, biped cows that actually moo, but somehow all that was super serious and acceptable. Then come Pandaren (which were in Warcraft before) and everyone assumes that they're going to herald in some crazy shift in the game where there's no more raids, no more serious stuff, just happy hello kitty pandas? It just sounds so ridiculous.
    It's interesting that people love the fact that the entire zone of Uldum is a pale imitation of the Indiana Jones films, but the thought of playing a panda is unthinkable for them. Or that people love doing the "punch DW in the face" quests, but are nerdraging out over the new expansion.

I'm super cereal right now.. Pokewow battles and scenarios. I'm already in love. And a Pandaren Drunken Monk. Yup. That's how I'm rollin' through MoP. Already reserving my name for him when I log in for dailies before bed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    There are 11 million subscribers and Blizz is getting shit on for trying to make things for people other than hardcore raiders to do and have fun with, remember fun, it's a game, it's a fantasy world, it's not real.
    I think with D3 coming, and SWTOR coming, Blizzard stepped back, realized they were trying to accommodate 25 different groups with 25 different wants, and it was impossible to satisfy them all. So, they went back to being the old Blizzard, put out what they thought to be cool new stuff, and stopped worrying about catering to every group. They knew they ware going to lose subs to the game getting old, and to SWTOR, and other things going on, so, the fact is, some people will not be happy with what they're doing. If you're one of those people, you will think Blizzard has jumped the shark. Blizzard may have *for you*, but keep in mind that many other people will be perfectly happy with the new direction. Blizzard learned a hard lesson in Cata about catering to the "WoW's too easy!" crowd. They're not repeating that again, imo.

Despite the fact that the 'WoW's too hard' mentality worked perfectly fine for vanilla and Burning Crusade, people were actually content with the game for the most part in BC. Wrath changed that mentality due to new developer direction.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Wrath wrecked the game. Good players got lazy. Bad players got rewarded. The beginning of Cataclysm really separated the mold from the cheddar in that aspect. I, for one, love what they did with Cataclysm. Even when I did a few wrath heroics post-cata on toons I was leveling, I played with the cata mindset. Sure, I could AoE burst things to death, but why get out of practice for the fun dungeons? I was CCing and everything. It's much more fun to play smart and be rewarded than it is to slap like an angered child at your keyboard and watch shiny numbers.

I certainly do not see them making the game hard again.

The thing is, after Blizzcon I can actually see Blizzard making an effort to make everyone happy. The pet farmers now have a reason (other than achievements) to do so, and a way to interact amongst themselves.

Rather than the predictable races/class alternating pattern per Xpac, they switched it up and gave us one of each which is a pleasant surprise.

PVE players have new stuff to do at all levels of dedication/capability.

PvP, well.. it doesn't sound promising. "More laid back, etc." Maybe just not as likely to promote nerd rage? Dunno what they meant by this.

The new class looks to be very, very interesting due to it's lack of auto-attack. With melee damage not only being buffed in 4.3, but white damage being mid-to-high on DPS reports (Depending on class/role), I'm quite curious how this will work out. And yes, I will be rolling a drunken panda. Especially if they have a "wino button cooldown" that empowers their abilities with alcohol consumption like a true Drunken Master. (Note: This game is rated T, so using brew to look awesome/hit harder is a sketchy idea. The last game I know of that pulled this off was Jade Empire when you used Henpecked Hou as your support character. I believe it was rated M due to alcohol use and possible homosexuality. However, WoW has used alcohol for stam gains in the past. It could happen.)

If they stick to Cataclysm dungeon models (CC the healers/casters, beat up the tough mobs/weak melee, then deal with the CC'd mobs. Use your cds intelligently, etc.) then entry level dungeons and raids (especially for bleeding edge progression guilds ala Paragon) will be rather difficult until they're vastly out-geared. The fact that we'll be used to such a PVE paradigm from cata dungeons will be to our advantage, and really it will boil down to translating new terms into roles based on what we see from them.

Overall, it sounds exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    <snip>
    I Apologize for being so hostile, it was just infuriating to see such negativity towards something I saw no negative aspect towards. If you didn't want to play wow anymore and just want d3, go for it, it's cheaper, if you want to keep playing wow, awesome free d3. if you were like a LOT of people, myself included, unsure if you'd pay for both wow and d3 and couldn't decide, now you don't have to, go for both. All of the "downhill" comments regarding it were baseless and were targetted towards a good thing from blizzard from people who largely already were quitting the game and wanted a reason to.

As for the Pandaria part, as far as I could tell. pandaria is an island, on the back of a giant turtle (a very common asian theme in lore) which is why it's managed to stay hidden from the world of Azeroth for so long. My piecing together of things is that with the Cataclysm, the balance of the world (as we saw with Thrall's various scenes in Cataclysm) is off kilter, and the world is effectively dying, this has caused a disruption in the yin/yang nature of the Pandaren people. You're early quests set you out to learn about nature, the light and dark side of all Pandarens, and honing your skills by following in the teachings of the ancient elements, but throughout, you get snippets from the elders that forebode bad things. Like a lotus flower, that has never wilted in Pandaria, has slowly begun to wilt. Although it is just 1 flower, it is something that most Pandarens ignore, but Master Cheng Xi notices and warns you about. How the big bad ultimate evil that ends up causing problems in the world comes about is unknown to me at least, but if what they promise about War being the literal enemy, and if the factions are truly going to go to battle against each other more in this expansion more than others, it could likely be that the Pandarens choose sides (playable race for both factions i assume) and the powers that helped keep Pandaria free from disease and problems, is somehow going to be up for grabs, and whatever guardians it may have in place, will be released upon the world or corrupted by deathwing's emergence. To me, this is a legitimate enough story to keep me going through and seeing how it'll pan out.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Kaz, The Island on the turtle is the starting place for Pandarians that we can play and it is not Pandaria. Pandaria is a Island that was hidden in mist. As for Turtle part it is the place that some Pandas went 12k years ago.

I'm not passing judgement when I say the companion pet thing is pokemon - but it clearly is. There's a whole lot other than that in the expansion and frankly, it's a brilliant move. Now they are giving us a huge meta game with pvp and pve pet levelling and battles. That sounds like another long haul type activity to keep the subs stable. I, for one, have already subbed for a year.

I have a feeling that the monk will not make it as a no auto-attack class through beta. They've clearly taken this idea from SWTOR which I have beta tested over 2 weekends. I can tell you that it works great for that game, but it's because all the classes have no auto-attack. Having one melee class without is going to feel highly out of place and frustrate many players. For the reasons GC mentioned about having to wait for a CD on a 5 hp mob and others. SWTOR is balanced around all classes NOT having Auto-attack and WoW is on the other side with melee balanced around having it. I think the class is going to kick ass, but I'm having my doubts about the auto-attack thing. The only way it can work is if they are balanced like casters I suppose.

And the best news is that my rogue has all the BoA's so I can flip those over to the monk or my druid leathers if I want to heal.
    "This is the very stuff that causes cork taint." Mačl

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    1) it's not the d3 beta, it's the fucking full release game

2) the beta is for Mist of Pandaria

3) it's added benefit for people who planned on playing anyways who are willing to accept the fact that they'll still be subbed for a year.

The way I see it, those who know they'll still be subbed, get bonuses now for just subbing 1 year early and committing. Any of you who are "quitting soon, or burnt out" this isn't your option, don't fucking buy the annual pass. Buy D3 for your 60 bucks, and it'll be cheaper for you. I fail to see how this is "downhill" or "a cheap shot". Seriously people are finding fucking reasons to hate on blizzard when they're doing something that in my opinion is a great alternative to choosing between the two games. But hey, that's your perogative, but don't state shit incorrectly, and then try to blame blizzard for doing something that makes sense.

Zomg, a company wants to make profits!

@people hating on Pandarens, did any of you fucking play warcraft 3: TFT? Pandarens existed in the Lore. Whether you like it or not, they did, and this should've come as no surprise. "blood elves on horde? Really" who remembers those fucking comments, now no one gives a shit. grow up. Making allusions to hello kitty. seriously? You're playing a GAME WITH ORCS, ELVES, DWARVES, GOBLINS, and GNOMES. Chinese Panda-men, that's too far, space goats? TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE. get off your high horse. At least Pandarens were part of the former warcraft lore with Pandaren brewmasters, Space goats were out of left field, more so than the werewolves.
    I guess the rules don't apply to mods who are super pissed.

It's fine that you have a differing opinion, but not that you act like a total hypocrite whenever an issue comes up that you take personally. Anyone else would have an infraction for that post and its not the first time you've done something like this.

I personally am annoyed at blizzard because I think they are dangling the D3 carrot and using it as some ace up the sleeve tactical release. Don't agree with me? Fine, not really a big deal. Just like you see people just 'looking for reasons' to bash blizzard, I view the opposite end as people who will defend whatever choice they make just because they're blizzard. Heaven forbid there be differing views!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzer View Post
    I guess the rules don't apply to mods who are super pissed.

It's fine that you have a differing opinion, but not that you act like a total hypocrite whenever an issue comes up that you take personally. Anyone else would have an infraction for that post and its not the first time you've done something like this.

I personally am annoyed at blizzard because I think they are dangling the D3 carrot and using it as some ace up the sleeve tactical release. Don't agree with me? Fine, not really a big deal. Just like you see people just 'looking for reasons' to bash blizzard, I view the opposite end as people who will defend whatever choice they make just because they're blizzard. Heaven forbid there be differing views!
    I apologize for the vulgar language and have cleaned out the post, but your views were 1) wrong, because you claimed it was d3 beta, and 2) attacking the pandaren aspect of it is folly as I pointed out in the lore. Making allusions to hello kitty is a cheap shot at a company that has provided us with the best games in consistently in the past 2 decades. This isn't the wow forums, I don't appreciate over exaggerated whining, or QQ.

I don't feel like they're dangling the d3 carrot at all, they specifically stated that it was to help with people who were going to be torn between playing WoW or D3, this made it easy for them, they get both. If you don't want both, and only have time for 1, that's different, and that's your choice to make. If you don't want to play for a year anymore, than just buy D3, it's cheaper overall that way. I fail to see how this can be seen negatively whatsoever from a consumer standpoint. You still have every option available to you regarding the games prior to this announcement, now you just have 1 more that coincides with what blizzard felt was a large population.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread