+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Clicking vs Keybinding discussion

Ya, that too. When I tanked I always tried to be proactive in my cooldown usage unless I knew I had to save it for something. I tried to never let my HPs drop below about 40%. My philosophy was "if a tank didn't press all the buttons he/she could, then the death was partially their fault too." Within reason of course, sometimes you just get gibbed and it wasn't really anyways fault... but I digress.

Point is clicking some cooldowns is NOT the same thing as being a "clicker" and "keyboard turner."
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    My warrior had well over 30 keybinds.... q, e, shift q, shift e, f, shift f, r, capslock, control f, z, v, shift v, control v, F1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, shift 1, shift 2, shift 3, shift 4, shift 5, `, mouse 4, shift mouse 4, mouse 5, shift mouse 5, shift a, shift s, shift d... that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I basically had everything bound and in such a way that I could micro-manage everything with the use of very few macros. Shift+1 was like a charge/intercept/intervene macro. But anyways. I actually did still click a button! I always clicked shield wall because it was too important of a cooldown to fatfinger, and I usually knew when I needed to use it, and I had several other cooldowns that I had bound if I needed an immediate "OH S***" button.

I have a similar number of binds on my warlock.
    However I assume you have a normal nuber of fingers to hit those macros, I wanna see some one whizzing there mouse all over the screen to hit those 50 odd macros

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    my DK has 48 keybinds, all of them are bound to my naga, I don't know how I had managed that many binds on my keyboard before my naga.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

oh, I know, that's my point. It's not doable without keybinds.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I have about 30-35 binds, roughly half to two-thirds I'll use on any particular encounter, but the binds hit vary, so they're all basically useful on one fight or another. Not including wasd for movement and caps lock for PTT either...so 40 or so if you count those...

I've never been able to get the hang of using a mouse (hate the stupid things). Been playing WoW on a laptop w/o since I started playing WoW. My keybinds are set up rough like this:

F1 (racial), F2-F5 (alternate rotation), F6-F8 (useful utilities), F9-F11 (long cast heals), F12 (Oh shit button)
    "`" (target nearest enemy player), 1 (occational be useful CD), 2-5(rotation), 6-7 (proc based attacks), 8-0 (utilities), "-" (interrupt), "=" (low CD defensive CD)
    Q (Oh shit Heal), W (drop-in activation 1), E (drop-in activation 2)
    A (quick heal on focus), S (quick utility on focus), D (limited use disruptive CD)
    ";" (mapped to key 9 to hit while steering), " ' " (mapped to key "-" to hit while steering)
    "." (extra action button 1), "/" (strafe left), arrowkeys for movement, Numberpad 0 (strafe right)

My number pad has alt, ctrl, and Sht keybinds with the numbers = buffs/seals/gear sets/mount, ctrl+number = target markers, etc.

Its a set up that is comfortable for me, because its the one I've used for years to play this game (muscle memory). The only downside is that I'm quite bad at PvP (just not fast enough/can't stay on target/tab-targeting doesn't target nearest enemy for some stupid reason). In raids I tank or dps, with no loss of awareness or manuverability (arrow+strafe can be done with the right hand as well as hiting interrupts, taunts, and defensive CDs as needed, while the rotation is handled by the left hand including snap heals and team member assist spells. I've also made extensive use of macros to link/fix abilities to work like I want them to work.

Like I said, works for me.

SJ

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersonian000 View Post

SJ
    I'm glad you are successful but please understand there are some things that are impossible to effectively accomplish without a mouse to turn with. Like Razorgore kiting as a hunter ... I was GM/RL back in those days and I had to kick several of my hunters who refused to mouse turn because it just wasn't possible to do the leap/spin/distracting shot/spin back and keep running without losing any velocity thing with a keyboard. In fact the majority of kiting jobs require a mouse-turner. That said its never a thing where everyone in the raid has to kite so you're probably ok although I bet tanking some fights would be pretty dicey without a mouse turn to speed up your escape from the fire ... not impossible just more difficult.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

What is this thread doing in the theory forum?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersonian000 View Post
    If you can play well without a mouse, I daresay you could be awesome with one. There's a handfull of things that go so much faster with a mouse that it's not even funny.
    (And I don't even want to imagine healing without one.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Prot Warrior = 24 key-bound abilities (some are macros) and I have a few other abilities that are things that i don't use in raids enough for me to bother key binding, but are on my bars nonetheless. But we're going to ignore those for this discussion;5'[.
    Now, i'm not trying to tell you to go buy a gaming mouse..... but they're REALLY nice to have. My top recommendations would either be a Naga, (where you have a number pad for your thumb) or the SteelSeries Cata Mouse. I use the latter of the two because I like having the buttons in different places and having to sue different fingers for different things. (That and the SteelSeries was a gift that i didn't have to pay for lol)
    Anyway, point being, this gives you plenty of room to key-bind your more utility oriented abilities. (defensive CD's, CC)

In short, clicking is also bad for raid awareness. My co-tank has some defensive CD's unbound and occasionally it will cause a wipe due to a miss-click. And the only time i ever have to look at my keyboard is if i misplace my hand after strafing or something.

About 20 abilities on my nostromo, shift modified with button 4 on my naga. 9 buttons + 3 mounts on the naga as well, not the perfect setup but when I get a chance I'll consolidate.

I like to click professions though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

The issues I'm having without a mouse is that I'm slow in PvP, have some trouble switching targets (tab-targeting seems broken on quite a few fights), and can't move/fight in 3D (Maligos/dragon-vehicle fights) with any form of efficiency. However, when I go to a mouse, I lose most of the options I had available within easy reach of my right hand. Yes, could get a Naga and relearn how to play WoW. Unfortunately, I'm poor, and just can't affort a Naga. My experiments with a multi-button mouse led to me just trashing the idea and going back to keys only (2 weeks of time and valuable dollars waste). I'm sure there is a workaround, but I'm also sure that any improvements gained would be minor.

I play a Prot/Ret Paladin, and other than a few tricky target swaps there really are very few instances were my performance would improve by totally relearning how to play WoW.

SJ

Jeff, turning with your keyboard is slow, where right-clicking and turning with the mouse is instantaneous. You can bind every key your left hand can reach and then use a modifier like shift, ctrl or alt and bind more abilities over them. No need to buy a new mouse, I did it to try it out and ended up liking it. I played through 2 expansions using a shitty logitech wireless mouse or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I'm playing with a logitech microsoft intellimouse with two thumb buttons, left, right and mousewheel (that can also click). I have done for years now. You really do not need a mouse with a gazillion buttons on the side to not keyboard turn.

I would say that keybinding is alot more effective if you're trying to do things simultaneously, but then again I know people who are clickers who are just as good as keybinders.

Here's a question in response to Leethaxor's very detailed response (which I agree with). How are you able to move (do you use WASD), use a keybound ability or two that might be mapped to the right side of the keyboard (say K for instance), and keep your hand on the mouse? Or do you just only use keybindings that are multiple keys? I'm not new to keybinding, but I have never been able to participate in raids like I do currently and when you need to use an ability within .3 secs or face death, sometimes I miss it by "that much" just because I'm trying to move away from the fire, keep the boss in my sights, and use the ability right after I have just used one (or worse, having to interrupt that spell to use the one that saves your life and prevents a wipe instead)?

I'm just curious how you or some people actually setup their keybindings and their use of the mouse/camera/cursor as well. Any tips or advice would be great. I can't be a hardcore raider due to things in my life, but I want to be one of the best "casual" raiders in my guild so that they always come to me when they have a slot to fill. I don't want to let them down.
    Last edited by Elven2012; 01-17-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Quite simple. Don't bind anything used frequently to keys further right then the 6THB keys

Practice hitting buttons until you know where they are just by feeling the keyboard. Learn to type without looking at the keyboard. When these things are in your muscle memory, you won't be spending that 0.3 seconds looking for the key to press it.

Main abilities are 1-7, Q-R, and V-B Cds are F1-F6, interupt is `. middle mouse button and the side mouse buttons are all short CDs. mouse wheel tilt is strafe, as extra mouse buttons are backpeddle and forwards.

I can type without looking at the keyboard...no problem there. I guess the biggest issue is when I sometimes use different computers to play (reason for this is one lags in DS). Maybe I just don't have enough keys bound, but the hardest problem for me is hitting a key and then wanting to straffe and then I end up hitting R or something like that due to misplacing my hand. I am assuming you use a mouse at all times as well?

Try rebinding strafe to A and D, and turning with the mouse.

+ Reply to Thread