+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Clicking vs Keybinding discussion

I think the only time you can get away with clicking and be decent is if you play ranged. On Melee it will hinder you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    I think the only time you can get away with clicking and be decent is if you play ranged. On Melee it will hinder you a lot.
    Clicking will gimp ranged nearly as much as melee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Keybinding things after you get used to it is just muscle memory. Granted its not easy to make the transition. I had to force myself at the start of Cata, I did it while leveling where things could be forgiving when I made mistakes, because make no mistake you will screw up a lot while learning. Its really a mentality thing, you have to want to do it and know you will be better for it.

In a nutshell muscle memory is faster then looking at your action bars and clicking. One great example is targeting something. Its much faster to target with a mouse click than it is to tab target.

Can you do raid finder difficulty and get by clicking... Absolutely.

Can you do normal raids and get by clicking... More than likely, though performance against keybinders will be noticeable, especially as a DPS.

Can you do heroic raids and get by clicking... Maybe, but you will be sub par compared to others who are keybinding and it may show enough to warrant sitting you.

Bottom line is if you're in it to raid seriously spend the time to learn keybindings it pays off.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I agree with you but for some caveats, I needed to clarify the quoted text a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post

Might get kicked after Ultraxxion or before. (Remember it's LFR, they'll bandwagon votekick shitties).

Can you do normal raids and get by clicking... More than likely, though performance against keybinders will be noticeable, especially as a DPS.
    Again, might last up to Ultraxxion but your dps will gimp the raid and all the clicking could cause you to flat out faceplant on Hour.

Can you do heroic raids and get by clicking... Maybe, but you will be sub par compared to others who are keybinding and it may show enough to warrant sitting you.
    Don't even bring this up!!!

Bottom line is if you're in it to raid or PVP seriously spend the time to learn keybindings it pays off.
    Slight FTFY!
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Currently learning keybinds........

Clicking is faster at two points....
    1) When you're new to WoW and don't know better.
    2) When you're transitioning from clicking to keybinds and are fumbling around like a drunken monkey fresh out of spin cycle.

By comparison......
    Keybinds is like knowing how to actually type, versus hunt and peck style typing.
    No one tanks in a void.........

Sure, but you're STILL going to be bad. If it's tuesday you might be bad enough to get kicked. If it's monday, probably not.

Perhaps true. I'm dubious that you can do movement-heavy fights in a competent manner as a clicker.

There's no "maybe" about this. You WILL NOT be good enough to do heroic raids, at least in 10 man where there's no margin for carrying shitters. Your reactions will be too slow, your movement will be too late, you will be a huge hindrance to your raid. Honestly, if the raid is serious enough to be even starting HM raiding, there's very little chance you'll even make it this far without being sat until you learn to keybind.

Such an angry subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    There's no "maybe" about this. You WILL NOT be good enough to do heroic raids, at least in 10 man where there's no margin for carrying shitters. Your reactions will be too slow, your movement will be too late, you will be a huge hindrance to your raid. Honestly, if the raid is serious enough to be even starting HM raiding, there's very little chance you'll even make it this far without being sat until you learn to keybind.
    Our Dk tank actually 'clicked' and by clicked I mean he clicked most his major cooldowns. And he was fine, and it was good enough (good enough is never good enough if you do anything at all that gives you a 'skill' cap then you should do it should you?) to remain in the top 100 US.

That is until I became his arena partner...
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    Our Dk tank actually 'clicked' and by clicked I mean he clicked most his major cooldowns. And he was fine, and it was good enough (good enough is never good enough if you do anything at all that gives you a 'skill' cap then you should do it should you?) to remain in the top 100 US.

clicking a cd is hardly meaningfull.

clicker (as far as i know) refers to your rotation. the abilities you need to spam in order to not lose like a billion gcd's worth of damage per fight. clicking a cd that has a 1 minute cd is irrelevant imo.

as for keyboard turning, its not even worth discussing. its not like you can keyboard out of engulfing flames.
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Well keyboard turning is an interesting thing; when I tank I'll keyboard turn if I have to be precise in moving a mob or positioning (I'm really bad about over running if I use the mouse), if I have to turn and run quickly, like engulfing flames or getting behind rocks on Morchok, I use the mouse.

You actually can keyboard turn out of engulfing flames ... if you bubble.

..... which is where the clicker/keyboard-turner gets chewed alive by the person dancing around their toon

Ok. I'll make one caveat.

When the keybind user is drunk and facerolling the keyboard. Face-slamming the keyboard to activate keybound abilities will likely be less effective than mouse clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Leucifer View Post
    Ok. I'll make one caveat.

When the keybind user is drunk and facerolling the keyboard. Face-slamming the keyboard to activate keybound abilities will likely be less effective than mouse clicking.
    Just like saying a shadow priest is better for DI then a firemage, but if you have an amazing firemage and crappy shadow priest the mage will use it better.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Our Dk tank actually 'clicked' and by clicked I mean he clicked most his major cooldowns.
    There's a very definite difference between clicking a button every couple of minutes and clicking a button on every global.

Or many buttons; like Heroic strike AND Shield slam and pummel and spell reflect, and shield block. Anyone worked out how you click all of them at the same time?

Or many buttons; like Heroic strike AND Shield slam and pummel and spell reflect, and shield block. Anyone worked out how you click all of them at the same time?
    Macro's namely cast sequences. Seeing as your aren't tied down by the 40 to 50 max keybinds you should be able to make a macro for almost any situation and click it when the event happens.

</sarcasm>
    Last edited by leethaxor; 01-05-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added sarcasm tag for clarity.

thats a lot of muscle memory. I'd kinda like to see someone play like that

Damage, Tanking (primarily tanking):

Many may find this a bit of an odd setup, but all my major spells are on my num pad (G510 keyboard) so for tanking on a port paladin, keys 1-9, * and - are my normal spells. 0 is auto-attack. "But you can't fit all your spells in that small space" you may say, and that's true! My secondary action bar is the same thing, but with a shift modifier. And thanks to muscle memory and some audible clicks with visual notifications from MSBT when something is ready, the only time I look at my action bars, is to see when something major is coming off cool down, and thanks to OmniCC, it's pretty obvious.

I move with WASD while having my mouseovers on the numbers 1-5 (above WASD). I am also not a keyboard turner. If I have to move in a hurry, I will use the mouse to run. The G keys close to the WASD are my "Oh Snap!" buttons (LoH, Bubble, Pots, skull and cross markers, etc.). This is the setup I've been playing with since the start of Wrath and I've never had a problem with it.

If you can't touch type or don't know where your keys are, then keybinding is not a very efficient choice.

thats a lot of muscle memory. I'd kinda like to see someone play like that
    My warrior had well over 30 keybinds.... q, e, shift q, shift e, f, shift f, r, capslock, control f, z, v, shift v, control v, F1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, shift 1, shift 2, shift 3, shift 4, shift 5, `, mouse 4, shift mouse 4, mouse 5, shift mouse 5, shift a, shift s, shift d... that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I basically had everything bound and in such a way that I could micro-manage everything with the use of very few macros. Shift+1 was like a charge/intercept/intervene macro. But anyways. I actually did still click a button! I always clicked shield wall because it was too important of a cooldown to fatfinger, and I usually knew when I needed to use it, and I had several other cooldowns that I had bound if I needed an immediate "OH S***" button.

I have a similar number of binds on my warlock.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

There is also the issue that if you need to use shield wall in a hurry (where a 0.1 second reaction time would possibly be able to make a difference), it is probably too late anyway.

+ Reply to Thread