+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taunt issue on Rag

Taunt issue on Rag

I always pull first in my raid, but when it comes time for the other tank to take Rag, I'll totally escape out of everything and just stand there and do nothing, but the other tank keeps saying he's spamming taunts and Rag is not getting off of me despite me not doing nothing, not even auto attacking. The only thing I could think of that would cause me to keep the aggro even after taunting from the other tank is censure for the last few seconds of it, but censure's damage shouldn't be giving me that much aggro should it?

Difference between no vengeance and full vengeance is pretty huge. Also the 10% threat difference to pull aggro is pretty small at the start. I have to hold back the first time the other tank taunts.

Your story sounds pretty extreme though. "spamming taunts" doesn't sound good should be 1 taunt followed by some burst threat as warrior thats shieldslam with shieldblock up + inner rage hs spam. Might help to announce tankswaps on vent if you aren't already so you can hold back the first time and see what the other tank does as burst threat. Sounds to me like the other tank is just slow with using abilities or not using the right ones. Tricks and mds can also mess it up a little but that usually isn't the case on ragg.

when the other tank taunts you could use
    /cancelaura Righteous Fury
    /cast [@player] Hand of salvation

and when you taunt back use
    /cast Hand of reckoning
    /cast righteous fury

If you co tank is a warrior make sure he's intervening you after his first taunt, this will instantly knock 10% of your threat off and if for some bizare reason rag melee's you it will actually hit the warrior, giving him rage and vengeance. combined with doing what Bigbad's said it should be nigh impossible to lose aggro, unless there's Tricks/MDs/Pain suprresions flying about andthe other tank gets some really shitty avoidance streak.

Maybe you are using taunts in your priotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Not enough info to give you a full answer, so we can only give you workarounds.

Could have a Paladin cast DI on you when he taunts and then bres the paladin.

We really need more information, mostly both tanks priority system/rotation. Though from the sounds of it you have taunt in your rotation making rag taunt immune.

Eoika, DI doesn't exist anymore.

Censure ticks every 2.8 seconds for an average of 3.640 damage for our tanking paladin on Ragnaros. So unless the other tank isn't capable of pulling ~1.200 tps you'll get aggro back from just the ticking dot...

Simple system: Tank A starts tanking Ragnaros, Tank B starts announcing his taunt 3 seconds before. As soon as Tank A hears the countdown he hits escape. No hassle with RF en-/disabling or stancedancing and way more easy to control. Tank B should pool some runes/rage/holy power for the taunt and unleash two hard hitting styles during the taunt duration (lasting three seconds) to make sure Ragnaros won't turn back by accident or a ticking dot (lol..).

Remember: it takes a 10% bump over your current threat value to retake aggro in melee range. At the start of the fight (~ 1 million threat) an incited heroic strike and a shield slam or a death strike crit is enough to manage that but the longer the fight last the harder it gets to bypass the other tank by accident. Use all your tools to ease the harder phase (hand of salvation, toggling RF, intervene, and ultimately using your brain all helps).

I dont know about the bear tank that usually tanks with me, but only time I use taunt is for the tank swaps and we do call it out on vent unless the bear starts going well I can't taunt it off you after using both his taunts. I guess I need to just turn RF off and all. It just gets annoying since it only happens with me, when I taunt back off him I've got no problem getting him, but that's because I start pooling holy power and hit him with a shield. And the bear isn't going into cat form any so he's not losing veng or shouldn't be.

Oddly enough, the bear claims pally threat is OP as well, which is true, but I find bear threat to be way higher when I'm tanking on my bear with a pally =/. Same thing happens there so it could be my end. And if I go cat on my bear before he's actually off me I'm like almost dead lol.

I guess I'll just try some things and see if I can get it better.

I'm no expert on bears but isn't berserk pretty much godmode as far as threat is concerned.

Pretty much, but his excuse to that is he only wants to use it in an emergency and he doesnt see that as an emergency =/.

The only time I wouldn't use Bearserk on a taunt swap is if it means it won't be off CD by the time the adds spawn for the transition, so he should be free to use it as soon as he picks rag off you the first time, and then in the transition to blow up scion thingy. If he's not going to use Berserk often (i.e. nigh on CD) effectively he shouldn't talent it. Really it's as Klausi said get him to engage brain.

I like to berserk during the transitions so I'm thinking he's holding back for then. The pally tank i usually tank rag with will have to hold back a little after the first taunt since he has a md and tricks on him, but putting 3 lacerates and pulverizing and mangle after the taunt usually give me a substantial lead on aggro.

All I can do I guess. It happens on my bear to with a pally tank that's the one pulling and all.

Taunt swapping is the only difficult part of tanking left, but if both tanks use the tools at their disposal it shouldn't be too much of a problem
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 10-16-2011 at 10:26 AM.

If rag is not switching to attack the bear even despite the taunt, you are using your taunt in your rotation or the bear is not actually hitting growl. Even him taunting, mangle, maul, autoattack should be enough to keep threat from you if you're not attacking. There shouldn't be a reason to use berserk just for a taunt swap.

Plain and simple if the boss isn't switching targets after a taunt by the inactive tank, the active tank is using taunt in their rotation making the boss go taunt immune.

Keep in mind, a true taunt also gives you aggro, so the taunting tank doesn't need to hit 110% threat, it's the tank that was taunted off of that would need to hit 110% in order to pull it back. If a taunt hits, you have aggro plus a small duration of a fixate effect.

True taunts can not functionally miss.

Since the boss is not taunt immune naturally and taunt can not miss there are only three possible results.
    1. Taunt was never cast.
    2. Taunt was evaded.
    3. The target had temporary taunt immunity do to deminishing returns on taunt.

Those are the only three possible outcomes which would have resulted in aggro not swapping at all. You had tanks somehow make it through this entire instance without being able to taunt swap? I'm sure Beth'tilac, Baleroc, and the Molten Lords were amusing.

If you want to know what's happening, include a combat log.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

It only happens on Rag, so I guess I'm hitting taunt by mistake then, really should move that keybind I guess since I don't really use it unless I have to tank swap.

I'm going to just totally unkeybind it and just *shudder* click it and see if he still stays on me. But even if I was using a taunt in my rotation I've always checked to see if any debuffs from me were on him and the only one is just censure so idk. I'll just unkeybind it next week and see if it still happens.

Taunt debuffs only last about two to three seconds so it's unlikely you'd really see it in the clutter on his unit frame. If the bear's hitting growl, maul, mangle, anything else awesome I can't think of since my bear's only level 20.. there shouldn't be an issue. In fact, if he's having to growl AND challenging roar, have tricks/MD sent his way for the taunt and Salv yourself until he can get a grip. RF shouldn't be an issue and if it is, there's something seriously wrong. I think a log link would clear this up (despite my own inability to decipher nerdcraft.)

However I beleive (and it's been a while since i looked into it) If you taunt more than 5 times a minute the boss goes taunt Immune for a period of time (generally long enough to cause a serious problem)

Taunt issue on Rag

I have just the opposite issue. I'm a pally with a bear co-tank. When I taunt off the bear, he will not back off his rotation at all and pulls rag right back after the fixate. He continually does this (on molten lords etc). I have explained to him the vengence mechanics, the fact that he has almost all the bear drops and I have been very unfortunate with drops, etc and cannot convince him to play smartly. I'm to the point I think this week I will hop him on my first taunt, salv on second and just rotate as I can from there. He also plays games about not being on rag during adds, ie not taunting or taunting early to try to time it so he can de-target rag and hit adds. I frequently end up with 5-7 stacks despite calling each stack after three in mumble.

The first hop should be interesting to see his reaction, lol.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

+ Reply to Thread