+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the point of D3?

What's the point of D3?

I think I'm finally done with WoW & I'm looking for my next game. I like the whole MMO "build your character over time" thing. I am looking at D3 probably being my next major time investment for video games but I don't really know much about the D3 series.

Is D3 just basically like an action game where you beat it and you're done?

What's the point of the 100 levels?

Does D3 have an ultimate goal? Maybe something like kill Diablo on nightmare mode or something?

If it does, what's the point of playing beyond that ultimate goal? Will they add expansions that keep the D3 game growing, etc?

Thanks all!

-Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

A friend of mine is in the same boat, where she's getting pretty close to being done with WoW and doesn't want to go into another MMO, but she likes the idea of building up a character. She's only ever played MMOs, though, so the idea of a game with a beginning, middle, and end is kind of foreign to her. So I had to explain something like Diablo 3 like this: think of it like a movie or a book. Once you've finished it, it's over and you can put it down.

Just like you said, it's basically like an action game. Diablo 3 isn't going to be like WoW in that the story just keeps going and going, likewise the gameplay. At some point you've collected all the best gear and you've defeated Diablo on Inferno difficulty, and at that point, you're done. You can put the game down or replay it and farm loot to sell for real life cash on the auction house. But barring the AH, once you're done, you're done. There'll be expansions, sure, but it won't be continually growing past a certain point. The different difficulty levels gives it a lot of replay value, and there's multiplayer, but don't expect it to grow like an MMO.

So in a nutshell, you buy the game, you play it, you finish it, and then you put it down feeling like you've gotten your money's worth of enjoyment.
    Hit me. I dare you.

So, I read that link and I absolutely LOVE the idea of Hardcore Mode! Wow, that's amazing!

How does that work? I've never played any of the Diablos, so I have no idea. I understand that if I die, I'm dead. But can I still use that character in non-Hardcore content or in single player?

I really think D3 just won my heart!

In DII I think you needed to clear the game on any setting to be able to create a Hardcore character. When a Hardcore character dies, that is it. You lose the contents of the Stash, you lose any items or gold on that character. It is, to all intents and purposes, completely dead. You did, however, get better stuff on hardcore mode. Blizzard has also said that you won't be able to use the RMT auction house on Hardcore characters.

Is there any type of professional gaming circuit for D3 like WoW used to have and SCII has?

Quote Originally Posted by Goins2754 View Post
    Is there any type of professional gaming circuit for D3 like WoW used to have and SCII has?
    Professionals don't compete in games that don't exist yet. D3 will have a PvP arena system with the hopes of it being a viable eSport to some degree, however it is unlikely it will reach the magnitude of something along the lines of SC2. At this time it is questionable how viable it will even be since that largely depends on the spectator experience, not the player experience. You can watch a game of SC2 and understand what's going on to some level even if you don't know everything, just like watching something like an athletic sport such as Football (you don't need to understand every little detail to enjoy watching it and have a general grasp). The viability of any game as a competitive eSport comes down largely to watchability.

The Diablo brand has its routes as more of classic designed role playing game with you taking on the role of a single character in a largely linear storyline. Unlike turn based systems of combat though it used a real time action based combat model turning it into a slightly different sub-genre of RPG. As more of a role playing game, the game itself focuses quite heavily on single player content. While you can experience a multiplayer aspect, it isn't on the same scale as a raid for example, rather more like dungeons and arenas with a small party size.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I was organizing some competitions in Diablo II 2x2 a couple of years ago. And you know - it was real fun and quite understandable for watchers

A game can be competitive and people can set up tournaments if they see fit. That doesn't necessarily make for a professional eSport. These competitions... did they fill venues with tens of thousands of people?
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

No, sure, no But on the other hand - when I set up Counter Strike or DotA tournaments there were also no tens of thousands of fans
    Didn't mean arguing or anything, just wanted point out that it's doable if smb wants it. In general Diablo tournaments are not worse than anything else. And professional gaming does'nt depend on popularity of the game even - there were tournaments on not extremely popular games with very descent prizes given by big companies. It's actually them to decide what is professional E-sport now
    Of course, if the marketing manager of the company knows that game A has more fans than game B - game A is more appealing to him. But again - it's not so one-angled and there's always some possibilities

D3 isn't a game about "beating the end boss" it's about getting to X level, and getting the best gear. in d2x it was about trying to get either the perfect MF'er, and trading away your finds for gear you want for other chars, or pvp'ing, or playing hardcore and getting as far as possible without dying. Blizzard ended up releasing things like Uber Diablo, and Uber Tristram that required very specific builds/chars/styles of defeating, so that was what a lot of people strived for, to get an incredibly legendary item... that was random, so you had to do it over and over again sometimes to get the one you wanted.

The point of diablo franchise? to play, to get items you want, to make chars you want with items you find, and to just enjoy your time while leveling/finding items. ;]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    The point of diablo franchise? to play, to get items you want, to make chars you want with items you find, and to just enjoy your time while leveling/finding items. ;]
    I'll plus one that. We never played the ladders, but just really played the crap outa D2. Usually local, with the player count set to 8 to make it harder and more fun.

So, I've been playing a lot of this game Dungeon Hunter: Alliance. It's almost like a Diablo clone for the PS3. It's an incredibly addicting and fun game (if not a strain on my X button!).

What really captures me, though, is they have a leaderboard that ranks every player in the game! You can play your toon either solo or online, you don't have to make a different toon. You can level up to max level and never even group once, but you still have a chance to be the "best player" according to the leaderboard.

I really hope D3 has something like that. One of my biggest gripes with WoW is there's no way for a solo player to distinguish themselves. If D3 has a similar leaderboard (and if the rumors about coming out on PS3 are true), I'll be an addict for a LONG time.

D2 had the ladder system

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread