+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Affliction dps problem

Affliction dps problem

Hello everyone.

My armory link

I usually play with warlock in heroic dungeons. I used play destruction but I wanted to try out the affliction and I realize that my dps is quite low (8.5k - 9k). I think I use the priority correctly. I know my gear isn't exactly BiS but is quite good for dungeon heroic (Zandalari ones).

Opener: Shadow Bolt - Haunt - Corruption - Bane of Doom - Unstable Affliction - Shadow Bolt (filler)

Another big question of mine is the AOE dps. When I spam Seed of Corruption I usually have mana issues and I don't seem to completely understand how Soul Swap exactly works.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

P.S Sorry about my English

You're reforging out of hit despite being almost 7% below the hit cap. generally you really should go for the hit cap, while having your dots/fillers miss is not too hard to react too, having Haunt miss is highly annoying.

You're opener looks good, but you want to get CoE up fairly early since 8% spell damage is 8% more damage, i generally throw it after the first SB, just to give it a bit more time to land before my dots start going up (SB moves dman slowly and if its still in the air when the dots land those dots won't benefit from S&F till you refresh them) if you have someone else putting this up its no matter so it might be worth getting an addon to track if this or other versions of the 8% magic damage buff go up.

AoE is expensive, you just have to live with it, Lifetap is there for a reason.

Unglyphed Soulswap will pull your whatever dots (BoD, BoA, Coruptions and UA)you have on the target off, and on the second use apply all those dots to a second target, essentially saving you a GCD, and giving you the option to stop DPS entirely in an instant

Glyphed soulswap will do the same except leave your dots on the first target, essentially let you copy and past your dots for and giving it a 30 second CD, saving you a GCD.

Thank for quick reply.

I know about the hit cap, but as I mentioned I mainly play heroic dungeons so I think 8% would sufficient or am I wrong? Correct me if I am wrong

Is multi-dotting valid for affliction like shadow priest or moonkin?

Ah sorry, i missed that bit, yeah its probably alright, i can't recall the dungeon hit cap, but its probably around there somwhere. Multidotting is quite viable for affliction locks, Soulburn:SoC and GoSoulswap give us some of the best tools for multidotting.

Forgot to mention this earlier but get used to using Shadowflame in place of shadowbolt where possible and its not going to invole much movement, both single target and AoE, it hits pretty damn hard and counts as another dot for the purpose of buffing your puppies shadowbite, though it is much more taxing on the mana.

EDIT: and make sure you're using Demon soul pretty much on CD. Really important for Aff.

Actually it's 6% against 5man bosses :P
    Multi-dotting of affliction is very strong, probably the best in the game.

There are some improvements could be made to your gems/chants/reforge. Make sure every single piece of gears has haste on it after reforged. That rigid ocean sapphire is just weird lol. Also you're missing a few enchants and using a lesser enchant on legs. I guess you're going to buy the T11 legs soon? Dont forget the belt buckle too.

Before the fight starts, check your 1. felhunter is alive 2. felarmor is active 3. dark intent is out.

Opener seems ok, what priority do u use after that?
    Last edited by Tschus; 10-14-2011 at 02:14 AM.

I am always trying to keep up the dots. Refresh Haunt when available, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, Bane of Doom, Shadow Bolt for filler or Drain Soul if target is under 25%. To be honest, I was thinking to buy the T11 legs, though I think the T11 set as individuals are not so good for affliction warlock (at least the ones you can buy with Justice Points).

I will make the changes and see how it goes.

Do you let unstable affliction fall off or do you clip it? you should be aiming for it to refresh just before it falls off.

Casts haunt right on CD, refresh UA just before it drops. UA has a ~1.1 sec cast time, so when it's less than 4 secs you can start casting it. BoD, you can safely clip it when it's 15secs or less.

T11 legs is good imo, hit + haste is perfect itemization for affliction. I use T11 chest + legs myself.

Hello.

My armory link

I have made some of the changes -still trying for the rest (2nd piece of T11). In dummy, I've managed around 11k. I don't if is it ok or not. In dungeons the DPS was various, depending from boss and other classes (dark intent, buffs). A major problem is the bosses that require from you to move all the time.

10k was the minimum T11 raid DPSpre nerf, so it's not bad. That said most dungeons will not give good Aff DPS as almost everything will die too quickly. however you really should decide if you're going for the dungeon hit cap of 6% or the raid hit cap of 17% (you're sitting at 12% presently) either way there's alot of reforging you can do to either up or drop your hit rating.

Finish off your enchants the mats for Power Torrent aren't usually that expensive any more, or if they are there's a weaker enchant (possible Hurricane, i forget what it's caled) that should be a lot cheaper to get done.

Movement is the game for ranged DPS, it's the only way Blizzard can really challenge DPS besides tight DPS enrages.being a good Ranged DPS boils down to minimizong movement and the effect movement has on your DPS. Knowing the fights is the only real way to make this happen, Know where adds will spawn, watch for the tell tale signs that the boss is about to put fire all over you, the key is to react fast,move fast, but not very much. Alot of Fire is quite small so you only have to move for a second or so to get just out the fire. DO not be afraid to put a portal down and use it often. if you're not gonna be called to use Fear as CC Glyphing your portal for a 24 second CD can make things very easy. Also get used to using your instants on the move, you can still use Corruption, both Banes, CoE, Fellfire, Shadowflame and Lifetap while moving, this means that the only things you need to worry about falling off are Haunt and your Shadow Embrace stacks most of the time you'll be spamming Felfire or lifetap while moving generally i oprefer lifetap unless i'd cap out on mana, am low on health( becuase i was slow moving out the fire) or if UA is about to run off, in which case i'd use felfire. Consider a run speed enchant on your boots; the faster you move the less time you need to spend moving to get there, its usaully worth it if you spend a fair amount of time moving.

Affliction dps problem

Ww.askmrrobot.com for gearing/reforging/enchanting and noxxic.com to perfect your rotation

I'm always a bit tentative with noxxic.com; It`s overly simplistic, and some of it's advice is just plain wrong (its advice for protection warriors in particular is quite quite wrong.

+ Reply to Thread