+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Why I believe LFD/R has and is continuing to destroy the WoW community

I'll admit LFD has issues, and in a sense it's taken away the community aspect of things, however I don't think that's anything that we as players can't overcome if we put our minds to it. All it takes is people growing tired of the LFD insults and whatnot and deciding that "You know what? It might take longer, but I CAN put together a pre-made group for random dungeons from people from my own server." It's more work, and it will likely take longer, especially in the beginning as everyone scoffs at someone for building a group in-server as opposed to just clicking the button and getting on with their WoW-life, but the point is that it's not something that simply CAN'T be changed. We as players merely need to make the decision to do it. I've already seen Tanks charging gold for Heroics since they need their run for the day anyway. Greedy as it may seem, that's at least a step in the direction towards getting back an actual society on a server. (aside from the trade chat all-stars.)

I'd say instead of bemoaning how it's destroying the community, just wait it out. Eventually, and perhaps even already as evidenced of some people in this topic, the school of thought will shift back to wanting to know more people you run with, even outside a Guild. At some point all the 'non-interaction' will loose it's luster and slowly but surely people will want to actually get to KNOW people again. It's a long process, but I suspect it's already happening. The people with the desire just haven't reached out to each other too much yet.

I would like to add some comments on the LFR tool. I think that its impact will be detrimental but its effect will be on the long run. My concern is for new players. Real new player (if they exist), they do not need a guild for leveling, nor PVP, dungeons and Raids. These new players will experience all the game has to offer without the hassle of a guild.

I personally don't PUG nor do I know what LFR stands for unless you mean ( LFG, lets say FL, must know this, must have that ), I say go do it yourself. if your so particular. And your right. You can have a good time on WoW without putting up with other people, especially, Vain, selfcentered, narcissistic Charlatan's who think their better than everyone else. And your right, there are no new people. Every person I know on WoW has more than 1 Toon, I have 10 on 1 Server, 7 LvL 85's, alts mostly and thats what I use them for. I don't care to run them in dungeons or raids. Additionally, I can go back and have fun in past content. It's now a cake walk through Steam Vaults with a LvL 85 DPS Pally. Advice, find a guild that will beat the crap out of you just to teach you the ropes, help with your talents and spec and yet too is friendly. We all make mistakes. No matter how long it takes, stick with it and communicate.

I took a 3 month break from WoW (right around when the Zs were released) for family reasons. When I returned my guild was empty aside from a few old friends.

I wanted to raid. Since my guild no longer raided that meant pugging. My evening playtime became 1-2 hrs spent plying my services in trade channel. This is not fun. Link achieve and ilvl expectations are formidable barriers to entry. The absolute low point was being denied entry into a normal BoT pug despite having the achieve and a 364 ilvl (my gear was deemed inadequate).

After a couple weeks, I bid my old friends adieu and joined a new guild. Raids with the new guild are often oversubscribed, and as a newer recruit I'm amoung the first to sit. I did get enough done with them that I can link achieve, so though I do still spend a fair bit of time sitting in /trade, at least now I get the odd ride.

I can only assume those condemning LFD/LFR are members of strong guilds with well populated friends lists. They are inside the barriers they wish to fortify. A 3 month break pretty much turned me into a new player in the view of the community, and it's been eye opening to see the obstacles for this segment of the player base.

@ Tin27

These barriers exist because of the changes that were made, including the dungeon finder. You can expect active players - which is the majority - to have (nearly) full iLevel 378 gear. Its not neccessary, but if its possible, it makes sense to form a group of players tha have that kind of gear. The same goes for experience.

If one has full ilvl 378 why would one even be bothering with BoT or BWD; except to maybe get the title. Personally, I've found when the RL is demanding achievments and gear levels for the older current expansion raid, he/she looking to be carried and will not even meeting his/her own minimums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin27 View Post
    I can only assume those condemning LFD/LFR are members of strong guilds with well populated friends lists. They are inside the barriers they wish to fortify.
    Yeah. Many of the people complaining the most here are people who are doing exactly that: trying to raise higher bars of entry to the game. They want people to be forced to come to the guilds to play the game. And I completely disagree. Make your guild good enough and people with like minds will come. So, instead of trying to kill LFD, make your guilds better, and you won't have any problems with recruiting. Look to yourself, rather than blaming Blizzard for your troubles.

Yeah, well run guilds make players that lead PUGs do what they do. Sure! We got nothing better to do than that!

Oh the ignorance...

am i going to have to close this thread. cmon

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    am i going to have to close this thread. cmon
    lol might as well tbh. All points have been addressed and for now real reason.

Its not going away!

I got a little experience with the LFR tool yesterday. I run all the first part of the raid. The tool is ok, but there is one real problem with it. Until people know those fights by heart there need to be a leader of some sort.

In order to make my group function i had to take up on the leading role telling people what to do and what adds to kill. Eventually it worked and in most cases we took 3 to 4 tries to kill each boss, Hagara being the execption which took a lot longer.

The real problem is that the tool probably will be deserted very soon as people move to in realm groups.

I imagine the tool will be rough in the beginning of each tier but then as the tier goes on will pick up steam as people learn the fights and as people with alts try to gear up in a casual manner. It will follow the same curve as pubs used to ... more or less replacing much of the pub market on each server just as LFD did with the old dungeon channels/groups.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

First experience of some guildmates: 45 minutes for the first 4 bosses. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    more or less replacing much of the pub market on each server just as LFD did with the old dungeon channels/groups.
    At least LFR won't force you to be at a 385 ilvl (drop +1) and have already completed the content you're trying to pug, to set foot in said raid. Most of the pubbies on my server want 360 + achievement to raid T11 normal, or 375 + achievement to raid Firelands. The old GS mentality again. Wonderful server community, eh? Yeah, those of you in high-end established guilds may have thought the community was awesome, but those of us who weren't in them didn't think much of that community and still don't.

BTW, just so you know, I'm not an unguilded person. I've been in the same guild since 2005, but, there are times their activity peaks don't match with mine, so I have a use for LFD/LFR.

+ Reply to Thread