+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resto shaman, seems my numbers are low?

Resto shaman, seems my numbers are low?

Hey everyone. I play a resto shaman (US/Detheroc/Horde/Zeneviera), and we're doing 10-man heroic Firelands. I'm healing with a holy paladin, and a priest that goes either holy or discipline, depending on the fight. Our gear levels are pretty even, mostly 378s with a 365 or 359 thrown in there where we haven't been able to find an upgrade.

My problem is that my numbers just don't seem to stack up to theirs. I don't know if I'm just a lazy/bad healer, or what. I do all the stuff I figure I'm supposed to do - I bust out all my toolkit, including Unleash Elements and casting Riptide on cooldown.

I'm scared of losing my raid spot when 4.3 drops, so if anyone has any uber shaman advice for me, I'd totally appreciate it. Thanks!

I dont play shammies and cant give any advise on that, but when someone that can help reads this they might think you could have done the curtsey to give a armory link (giving the toon name instead of the link seems kinda lazy, at least to me) and some logs. Its difficult to evaluate if there is a problem, and what it is, without actualy having some more detailed information on preformace, what spells your using, etc.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...viera/advanced

It's a well-known fact that Resto Shamans have a huge disadvantage in 10's because everybody is spread out. 25's they can show up on the meters better.

Replace Fiery Quintessence with your Alchemy stone, in my opinion. FQ is okay for a throughput cooldown, and the Spirit works with Tide I suppose, but the Alch stone has a ton of static Intellect on top of a ton of Haste. You will still have 2600 Spirit without FQ, which is plenty. If you have mana issues, spec into Telluric Currents and toss out some Lightning Bolts when you get downtime. (Yeah, I thought it was a crappy talent too, then I looked at the math to support it)

I can't really offer any advice besides that, and enchant your bracers with Intellect instead of Haste. Logs would help a ton

Your reforging seems to be all over the place (crit to mastery & mastery to haste, then crit to spi,...)
    Depending on your usual mana usage you might get better benefit from the Earthliving Glyph over Water Shield.

While I don't have logs, your setup seems to be indicating you're the default raid healer, with paladin on tank and priest filling where needed? In 10mans it's actually better for the priest to be raid healing (priest raid heals better than resto shaman in 10man) and for you to be in the 'swinger' spot if you can make good use of Tidal Waves. You'll be reserving Chain Heal just for the melee, with single target healing on the ranged.
    It is also possible other healers just beat you to the first heal, making your Mastery work less than it should/could.

On stats:
    If you're a 10man raid healer, you should pick between either gearing style:
    1) Focus on crit (also gives regen, so don't need as much spirit) with mastery as runner up. (Better as 'swinger' healer, Riptide rolling on tanks + yourself/special raid member, higher HPM, so you can use more expensive spells like HS when needed)
    2) Focus on Haste>=Mastery, ignoring crit, playing whack-a-mole with the ranged health bars and using CH on the melee to give TW rather than rolling extra Riptide around.
    Right now I don't really see what you're doing with your gear setup, but you should try to focus on a specific stat to build your style around.

Ofcourse, this is all based on speculation and the limited info a snapshot such as armoury gives us. Logs could help a lot to identify the problem more.

PS: In patch 4.3 Holydins will be getting a relatively strong no-CD AoE heal while Shamans are getting more tank loving. It might be possible you will find yourself become more of a tank healer, might consider that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

I apologize for the lack of an armory link or links to any logs. I didn't even think of it, to be honest. Again, I apologize.

Sebadoh - I'll try replacing the Fiery Quintessence on our next raid night and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

Airowird - I'm going to reforge to make things more balanced, thanks for the suggestions. Another problem in my raid group is that our holy paladin and disc/holy priest are constantly at war with each other over numbers. I just go in and try to do my best, and I never run out of mana, or try to show off. Therefore, the two of them assign themselves to the tasks that will give them the best numbers. Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try to upload logs next week, and see if there's a difference.

If they are competing for HPS, they'll probably be sniping your heals as well, so you shouldn't worry about your pure numbers as long as nobody dies. Basicly, unlike DPS, there is only so much HPS you can share among healers and as long as nobody dies, who cares how it's distributed? But you should have a single 'heals leader' to assign tasks to those that fit it best rather than just have your healers fight over meter spots. e.g. I would put the holy priest on raid healing on Shannox and you on the MT (with beacon from paladin who'ld be healing dog tank), but your priest would probably never put himself on that spot, because he could do more HPS doing the tank healing as Disc (and prob throw out shield on the raid in between, 'stealing' your HPS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

It's true. Who cares who has the biggest numbers to stroke their e-peen to as long as nobody dies. Let them enjoy their personal competition, do the best you can, and have the raid leader assign roles for you guys to fill. After all, that's part of a raid leader's job.

+ Reply to Thread