+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small raid makeup issue

Small raid makeup issue

I'll make this short and sweet. I'm going to be tanking for my guild's main 10 man raiding group. I have a druid or warrior I can tank on. During one tank fights its looking like I'll be going dps since the DK doesn't seem to be that solid at frost. Our current makeup, with me not in it is

Tank - DK
    DPS - Fury warrior, Arcane mage, Affliction warlock, Elemental shaman, Shadow Priest
    Heals - Holy Paladin, Resto Shaman (who goes enhance for 2 heal fights), Resto Druid

I'm just curious as to which toon would synergize best with the makeup we have. As for my two toons, my druid is logged out in my mishmash of kitty gear at the moment and has a much nicer bear tanking set (almost 4pc T12, just need the VP to get my leggings this week). While my warrior is logged out in her mishmash tanking set and has a much nicer fury set (4pc T12).

Both of these toons are on the kilrogg server and are horde. The druid's name is Fauhn and the warrior's name is cleavedge.

So the two toons boil down to

Druid - better tanking but much lower dps as I'm not as good at kitty dps but I'm getting better as I work on it and as I replace my bear gear

Warrior - Not quite as strong tanking, but my fury dps is pretty damn good as I have a lot of time doing it

I'm pretty proficient at playing either one and I'm really looking to make a strong focus on one of them. Any opinions/thought/remarks are appreciated, thank you!
    Last edited by Fauhn; 10-04-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Forgot some information

Well, id say use the bear. If its the one you feel more confortable tanking on, you should prioritize that. And has better use of raid drops(all agil leather would be wasted if you use the warrior). I feel on 10 mans specially its important to actively persue to not have much competition for gear, sometimes it takes forever to see something drop, when it finnaly does its nice not to have 3 people waiting for it.

Is there any reason you can't tank on your bear and on the fights where you don't need a second tank bring your warrior?

Gear: Due to no agi user in the first place playing the druid looks tempting, aresius already mentioned that. You shouldn't underestimate that point, at least three twohander are resevered for both your tank and your regular fury while nobody can get any use out of an agility staff.
    Raidcomp: unless you want to play arms (bleeddamage + 4% physical damage) over fury you wouldn't bring anything to your raid (outside of raidshout) what your other fury wouldn't provide on his own.
    + for warrior: being a blocktank can give you an ever so slightly edge over avoidance tanks (dk/druid) on fights like eg Baleroc, but you're the second tank so this shouldn't matter to much in the first place.

Sidenote: if you can i'd replace one of your caster with either a hunter (providing eg 4% physical damage) or another melee (rogue/a permanent enhancer so you don't shard agility stuff anytime soon), it's seven out of ten people conquering for necks/rings/cloaks/weapons that's gonna hold your gearing progress back a lot. A rogue should be easy to recruit with the legendary daggers waiting

I agree, that's a whole lot of mana bars basically being sad about the same drops unless you've got an amazing drop rate for caster gear. However, the OP was about which tank to bring. I'd go bear. That way you can make use of any agi leather plus staves and polearms. Plus if you guys are really picky about which rogue to pick up, you can get pretty geared off farm content for both roles while you look. Sounds greedy, but why not become more beneficial while you're looking for just the right rogue to compliment your raid? Also, this way you and the DK can switch off during one tank encounters because you only have two people really after DPS plate. Practice makes perfect for both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Gear: Due to no agi user in the first place playing the druid looks tempting, aresius already mentioned that. You shouldn't underestimate that point, at least three twohander are resevered for both your tank and your regular fury while nobody can get any use out of an agility staff.
    Raidcomp: unless you want to play arms (bleeddamage + 4% physical damage) over fury you wouldn't bring anything to your raid (outside of raidshout) what your other fury wouldn't provide on his own.
    + for warrior: being a blocktank can give you an ever so slightly edge over avoidance tanks (dk/druid) on fights like eg Baleroc, but you're the second tank so this shouldn't matter to much in the first place.

Sidenote: if you can i'd replace one of your caster with either a hunter (providing eg 4% physical damage) or another melee (rogue/a permanent enhancer so you don't shard agility stuff anytime soon), it's seven out of ten people conquering for necks/rings/cloaks/weapons that's gonna hold your gearing progress back a lot. A rogue should be easy to recruit with the legendary daggers waiting
    disagree with the warrior/pally being better then a druid on baleroc when a druid has 45% dodge (before trinkets/pots), he isn't going get hit much, before nerfs was only getting hit once the entire fight from a dec blade....while a equally geared warrior tank could just not stay up,

should take a druid for the ability to stay in bear spec and lol dps with your tanking gear as well, yes you are losing some potential dps but generally its ok, that and as said you generally don't have to roll on as many things with others, and also your 2 tanks will gear up equally (in theory)

Quote Originally Posted by Dobraine View Post
    disagree with the warrior/pally being better then a druid on baleroc when a druid has 45% dodge (before trinkets/pots), he isn't going get hit much, before nerfs was only getting hit once the entire fight from a dec blade....while a equally geared warrior tank could just not stay up.
    Druid's damage mitigation rely mainly on high armor (over 52k armor equaling to 66%+ physical damage reduction before any raidbuffs), superior damage reduction in general (18% vs physical and 24% versus magical via talents) and their absorbs from mastery.

Don't overestimate their avoidance values, even with full 391 gear and a total focus on agilty you won't see 45% dodge in a raid environment (proof). Blocktanks on the other hand can sport for full CTC and from 32% (warrior) up to 36% avoidance (paladin) without any fancy elixir/food combo. That results in only one more dodged decimation blade out of ten. Baleroc's physical damage on the other hand is extremly high (compared to other bosses you'll fight in Firelands), any form of percentage damage reduction/mitigation like the block mechanic or deathstrike's heal will help a lot while druid's mastery is completly unaffected from the increased healthpool.

+ Reply to Thread