+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need opinions on healing spec

need opinions on healing spec

Ok, so my guild is starting hm's in firelands. I was asked to go AA/atonement. My main is disc, but i'm the non AA/atonement spec, been this spec since cata. What I need to know is AA/atonement necessary for hm's in firelands 10m or is it a situational thing to use this spec?
    Yeah, i can link my armory, but what i'm looking more for is opinion on if the AA/atonement spec is necessary. Healing team is Hpally, Rdruid and myself.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Raîna/advanced

I don't think its really necessary. I had an atonement spec, but switched to a non atonement one, and so far I'm liking it. Atonement does have its uses as you can put out a fairly good amount of healing which is more efficient then Heal spam, while also contributing a small amount of DPS to your raid, which can be between 5-10k DPS depending on gear and the situation. Its helpful on some fights, others it isn't. It can be useful on Shannox, Alysrazor if you're the hatchling tank healer, Bethtilac if you're the Drone tank healer, but that's it. I've found that with Rhyolith, Baleroc, Majordomo and Ragnaros its useless. I haven't done any of the heroic encounters, just normal and still working on Rag, but I doubt it will change from normal to heroic due to the fight mechanics. I switched to a non AA spec on Rag because Atonement just doesn't reach the tank, so its a waste of talent points.

Quote Originally Posted by Clothar View Post
    It can be useful on Shannox, Alysrazor if you're the hatchling tank healer, Bethtilac if you're the Drone tank healer, but that's it. I've found that with Rhyolith, Baleroc, Majordomo and Ragnaros its useless.
    This is the thing a lot of people forget - even in situations where the Atonement heal is useless, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Archangel effect is. In any sitation where you can effectively stop casting or throw out a dinky heal, you could effectively be casting a Smite or HF to give you a stack of Evangelism which you can use for a healing cooldown later.

Think of it like preloading yourself to do more healing later. Archangel is not exactly a small cooldown - a flat 15% healing buff, on the contrary, is huge... almost as potent as Avenging Wrath. And you don't necessarily have to get up to 5 stacks if you don't have the time either, just a couple stacks is still a decent help.

Alysrazor - Very useful. Moar DPS and then a very hawt +15% healing cooldown for the heavy raid damage after the burn phase ends.

Rhyolith - Toss out a Holy Fire periodically on one of the big adds to help top off your tank (and do a little damage), make sure to hold on to a 5-stack. Then pop wings right as he goes into burn phase, and you have an extra 15% healing to augment Bloodlust.

Majordomo - Again, you can predict the raid damage in Scorpion. Get 5 stacks early when you have ample time to top people off, then when things start getting hairy you can do 15% more healing for a pretty long period of time.

Rags - I dunno, never done this on my Priest. I hear Atonement doesn't do anything because his hitbox is about the size of Kansas but still, having healed it on my Paladin there are definitely times where you're twiddling your thumbs. Why not throw out a few HF/Smites and then use your wings for a seed phase?

So now that we've established that A/A is definitely very useful in Firelands, let's ask the next question... is it worth giving up SoS/ToT?

/shrug! (Yes I just shrugged with an exclamation point, think of it as a power shrug)

Train of Thought really isn't super great unless you're spamming Greater Heal, which judging by the fact that the OP only has 2 points in Divine Fury, is definitely not the case (also, why only 2 points in Divine Fury? O.o).

Strength of Soul is a damn useful mechanic, BUT if you have low Mastery then it's not quite as useful. If you're only looking to shave a few seconds off your Rapture timer when available, you can easily make do with 1 point. And obviously if you're not tank healing (isn't that what your Holy Pally's primary job is?) then it's not strictly necessary.

I would give this spec a shot, I'm currently using a slightly altered version of it on my now-alt Disc Priest.

(Not claiming to be the be-all end-all expert on the situation, but I do think that A/A is fantastically useful, and reading posts by people like Derevka have made me even more inclined towards it)

Sebadoh - I only have 2 pts in divine fury because I like having desperate prayer. I don't take damage most of the time, but when I do and I'm on the move it comes in handy being able to self heal, so then I can focus on other people. Yes, I am aware I can cast binding heal and save myself and another person, which I do, but I just prefer to have desperate prayer. I may play around with my spec and try putting 3/3 in divine fury, we will have to see.
    As to your other comment, I am casting Greater Heal, it is one of my primary heals depending on the fight or what is going on in that fight. I stopped using Heal as a primary way of healing a person awhile ago. I get a lot of Inner focus/Greater Heal casts off in a fight. I do tank heal quite a bit in Firelands, fights like Beth'tilac, Alysrazor, Baleroc and Shannox.

Thank you for your help though given me some idea on the AA/atonement playability, I'll play around w/ both spec's and see what works the best for me and my raid group.

Quote Originally Posted by Raina View Post
    I'll play around w/ both spec's and see what works the best for me and my raid group.
    That's the reaction I was aiming for

You'll be totally fine with both specs, though a lot of disc priests (including me) has gone to non-AA/A in 4.2. Atonement is just not great enough in Firelands, while Archangel is always a handy tool. Currently I'll suggest a spec with Archangel but not Atonement if you need the burst healing. Use only Holy Fire to maintain your Evangelism. That will free up 2 talent points so you can spend it elsewhere.

I'll be sacrificing Empowered Healing instead of Divine Fury if I wanna get Desperate Prayer.

I have Atonement spec, and I've found a use for Smite/Holy Fire, in every fight, except Ragnaros, which our raid has just started on, in the last couple of days, so still mostly trying to figure out where to not stand, so far! ;>)

Reading Sebadoh's post, it struck me that I've been doing pretty much what he describes, for each fight. There seems to be opportunity, in each fight, for me to use Smite/Hoy Fire, even if only briefly enough to stack Evangelism. Plus, it's a great way to conserve mana, for when it's needed. I can't stand using Heal, because it's slow, and it's a pretty small heal, for all that casting time. The offensive/heal aspect of Smite/Holy Fire is just so satisfying...once I figure out how my tank's health is going to spike, or not, I can use this mechanic, while having bubble/penance/GH ready, if needed.

I have to admit, it took a while to get a feel for that timing, with a few, "oops, got that GH off too slowly" moments.

On a minor note, the spec is just plain fun, in Heroics, too...er, 5-mans, that is...haven't done Heroic raids, yet. That may require taking a serious look at the alternate spec.

Please, take this with a grain of salt, as I've never even tried the alternate spec, since Cata started.

BTW, my raid leader originally wanted me to spec Holy, but I sorta talked him out of it...
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

I heal on my Disc priest with the AA/Atonement spec and love it. I always find a way to weave some HF and Smites on every fight so get Archangel pre-loaded. I've been AA/Atonement since the beginning of Cata, so I can't see going back to non-Smite healing. One thing as you play around with the spec, you'll need to get a feel for when to HF and Smite and when to go back to straight healing; at first it will feel a bit clunky, but stick with it a bit so you get the full flavor.

+ Reply to Thread