+ Reply to Thread

Thread: im new to tanking 5 man heroics and raids

im new to tanking 5 man heroics and raids

i was just wondering what am i supposed to gem as a prot pally? And what is the hit cap or do i not even have to worry about it and what do i need more dodge or parry or mastery? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...edurmom/simple is my toon please help and how should i gem

Gem for mastery in yellow, mastery stamina in blue and mastery parry in red. Ignore hit (your interrupt has a 100% chance to hit) and expertise and favor mastery>dodge=parry>>expertise>hit>>>crit>haste.

Importantly: GET GLYPHS! The greatly help on survival and aggro.
    Specc: drop judgements of the pure and improved hammer for rule of law and pursuit of justice
    Gear: buy crafted shield/belt (sub 2k each), they're cheap. A gurubash mace is on our AH 24/7 for 200g, iIf you can afford it grab a VP bracer (sells for 3-4k on my server), get t11 chest via JP and complete the thrall/elementals quest line for a decent 365 ilvl tanking cloak. Complete the first molten front daily set (you'll have to quest 3/4 of the Hyjal area) and you'll get a tanking neck & - boots for free. Start enchanting and gemming your better pieces and you'll be ready for running ZA/ZG all day long.
    Naming: really?
    Last edited by klausi; 10-01-2011 at 10:18 AM.

omg thank you so much you dont undestand how much u helped me i got the t11 chest changed my talents reforged my gear but what glyphs should i get? and the gurubash mace goes for 3 k on my server and i didnt know what belt and shield u were talking about but thank u so much!

Don't buy the gurubashi mace, its quite crap for tanking, rather try getting a Soul Blade which should cost about the same nowadays. (And you already have a weapon on par with the bashi mace).

You don't have any enchants. While not completely necessary you should always try to get as much as poss out of your toon. Enchant at least the epic pieces IMO. If you can stand doing the Molten Front dailies, there are some quite good rewards (365 gear etc) after unlocking more vendors. Also I highly recommend Mirror of Broken Images trinket that you get from Tol Barad dailies, its 125 pts but very useful for 321 mastery and on-use resistance.

Glyphs: hammer of the righteous, Seal of truth (10 expertise is win), Shield of the righteous for Prime Glyphs.

Consider the crafted Unbreakable Guardian, if you can find a Blacksmith who won't rip you off for the Chaos Orbs

The TB trinket is great, but prepare for a real grind to get it. If you do grind for it remember, the dailies up by BH, three quests stay the same for the day, but other three can change each time TB changes hands, they don't have to change, but they can, so you can effectively rack up 6 additional commendations each day, plus rep. Doesn't sound like much, but anything to shorten that grind was welcome IMO.

it's the difference between getiing 12 marks and 18 marks a day, potentiall cutting the grind time down by 33%

1. Read the guide linked in my signature

then

2. Get that gear enchanted. The lesser versions (55 stam to chest, 85 stam/40 agi to legs, 50 mastery gloves) are about a tenth of the cost of the better ones for not that much of a stat loss. What with running random heroics you really should have the mats lying around to do this.

and

3. Get a meta gem. Eternal Shadowspirit Diamond. Also get some proper gems in those epics (or even gem them at all ).

Don't go overload on mastery. try to keep a good balance between mastery/parry/dodge. With jems its relatively good blues should preferablly be stam/mast. Also I noticed some of your talents are more towards throughput versus survivability. Putting out another 500-600 dps is ok if the other tank in a raid is overgeared and you need to generate threat quickly. But being able to heal yourself occasionally when your healers are making sure a dps isnt dieing or is watching TV or a cat decides to attack your labtop (yes it has happened and i got kicked from the dungeon ) is much appreciated from your friendly healers

im new to tanking 5 man heroics and raids

Overload on mastery. The other stats will come with improved gear. Learn what combat table coverage (ctc) is and make that your goal. Higher item level is not always better. Not at home so I can't see your talent but most of the self heal ones are weak.

Edit for clarity:
    If the socket bonus is a tank one, try to get it with a mastery or mastery hybrid gem (mastery+stam or mastery+parry). Reforge to mastery if it's not on the piece. Reforge to balance dodge and parry if the piece already has mastery.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

+ Reply to Thread