+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: STOP! All classes/roles: Gearing/Playstyle/Spec/Rotation guides! Try here first!

STOP! All classes/roles: Gearing/Playstyle/Spec/Rotation guides! Try here first!

Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Tankspot Guides and Tutorials:Externally...it's easier to just link off to the class forums on EJ. They generally have a lot of theorycraft but no actual help.:Offsite utilities/spec/class-specific sites:
    • Maintankadin (Protection paladin infos)
    • Shadowcraft (Rogue tool, reforging, gemming, spec, dps sim)
    • WoWReforge (Reforge tool for all specs and classes)
    • Enhsim Download (Enhancement shaman dps simulation tool)
    • Simcraft (General dps simulation, works better for some classes than others...I'm not personally sure which it's good for, but use EnhSim for enhance shaman and Shadowcraft for rogues instead of this)
    • Rawr Download (Gear comparison and dps/mitigation simulation tool, quality of the class/spec modules varies from "pretty accurate" to "pretty atrocious")
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 10-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    for better help with reforging check out http://www.wowreforge.com/ as a DPS (I've not bothered to load up my tank or healers so I don't know how well it will work for them) rather then use the reforging suggestions from askmrrobot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

askmrrobot is pretty bad with their suggestions unless you run a sim program like simcraft/mew/rawr to get your stat values and then plug it in to robot...
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

askmrrobot is worse than bad. It will actively mislead you. Simcraft is only valuable for certain classes (I think, for example, it's good for mages, but it's terrible for shaman). It's best to do your research and find out which sim is best for your class and spec (for example, EnhSim is probably the most accurate for enhancement shaman). Every time someone mentions askmrrobot as a valuable tool a kitten dies. Seriously...there's a whole pile of them in the alley because of askmrrobot. It's an atrocity against kitten-kind.

The flaw with mr. robot is that each piece of gear is calculated by arbitrary weights INDIVIDUALLY rather than as a part of your whole gear ensemble. The fallacy is that while the "BiS" looks nice, the patchwork manner many people are able to gear with leads to miscalculations.

For example, with access to Heroic Rag, askmrrobot still recommends the 359 justice point trinket for hunters. Hit is nice, but not at the cost of that much agility and secondary stats.

rawr is pretty good as well for optimizing your gear but it takes a bit more know-how.

robot is a good starting grounds for people who are just completely lost in the sauce in wow in general. i myself don't use all the suggestions they give me all the time, but that comes with experience.

anyway this thread wasn't titled askmrrobot.com, there's other stuff in it as well.

Rawr's boss handler is broken and has been for some time. I recommend against any Bear using it.

AMR is decent for Bears, but tends to over value Stamina and has messed up trinket selections.

I don't trust EJ for Bears since all of it was terribly, terribly wrong for Bears at launch.

http://www.theincbear.com is better for Bears imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Katarn View Post
    AMR is decent for Bears, but tends to over value Stamina and has messed up trinket selections.
    I ran AMR for my bear and it had me gem AGI for everything, agi/dodge and agi/stam to activate the meta and appropriate-gain socket bonuses. Then it had me reforge dodge. It seemed pretty spot-on for bears as far as every guide/posts I've read about how to optimize manually. But I didn't like the way it told me to optimize my holy pally. It wanted me to pick up 29 (or 28, cant remember) sp to gloves instead of +50 haste, amongst some other things.

The person who wrote/admins AMR rruns a bear, so I'd assume it may be decent for them. Unfortunately, most other classes are a bit weird using it. I know it seems a long list, but I always advocate class specific tools and data such as:

Hunter
    http://www.wowhuntershall.com
    http://www.femaledwarf.com

Healing resource:
    http://www.plusheal.com

Rogues:
    http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/

Shadow priests:
    http://www.shadowpriest.com

Warriors often prefer Landsoul's spreadshet, but I'm not 100% on where to find it.

Aside from the hunter references, the list is mostly based on recommendations of people who seem to know what's what for the class in question.

awesome, i'll add that up top

Mage guides walk a fine line between too indepth and to little information. Icy Vien's guide is passable at best, in my opinion it should go a bit more in-depth and teach mages how to spec there character based on fight mechanics. But that isn't a ton. I just don't like the guide over all it kinda skims the surface to much and seems to not be fully updated, but its me being picky most likely. Honestly its a hell of a lot better then other guides.

I would like every mage to take the time to read the 16 pages of snore-fest that is the EJ guide, but realistically.. Its not happening.

Landsoul's spread sheet can be found at the link below. I'm assuming its up to date as it's his website, but thegreatme is a way better source for dps warrior info.
    http://www.landsoulcoaching.com/spreadsheet
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

were you checking the full-length icy veins guide? they have summarized and full versions. their arcane guide helped me to understand proper timings and whatnot way more than what's currently on EJ. i do like ej's fire and frost guides but the arcane compendium was just a bunch of stats and nothing really about proper timings and all.

Prot warriors prefer Airowird's spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugrip View Post
    I ran AMR for my bear and it had me gem AGI for everything, agi/dodge and agi/stam to activate the meta and appropriate-gain socket bonuses. Then it had me reforge dodge. It seemed pretty spot-on for bears as far as every guide/posts I've read about how to optimize manually. But I didn't like the way it told me to optimize my holy pally. It wanted me to pick up 29 (or 28, cant remember) sp to gloves instead of +50 haste, amongst some other things.
    It has Spidersilk as BiS for Heroic T12. Which is wrong. And amuses me.

AMR got a lot better for Bears after they finally lowered the default Stamina value. But their trinket selections are still broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Katarn View Post
    It has Spidersilk as BiS for Heroic T12. Which is wrong. And amuses me.

AMR got a lot better for Bears after they finally lowered the default Stamina value. But their trinket selections are still broken.
    i never use those things to find gear replacements, just to reforge/gem/chant the gear i'm currently wearing

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugrip View Post
    were you checking the full-length icy veins guide? they have summarized and full versions. their arcane guide helped me to understand proper timings and whatnot way more than what's currently on EJ. i do like ej's fire and frost guides but the arcane compendium was just a bunch of stats and nothing really about proper timings and all.
    I would like every mage to take the time to read the 16 pages of snore-fest that is the EJ guide, but realistically.. Its not happening
    Its labelled as a compendium for a reason. It's not a do this, do that, and this.... annnnd WINNER! You read the entire discussion, and you get a solid idea about how to play and arcane mage, and know all the in's and out's
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I think a thread like this is a great idea. I think it has a little more work to do before it's ready to get a sticky though.

I would suggest you re-structure the post a little so that you don't start by sending people to reforging sites. Class guides are going to be a better start point. Pyrea's paladin guide should be on that list: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ection-Paladin and I'm sure there are other guides on this site that might be worth a link.

You might consider a link to the Tier 12 strategy section: http://www.tankspot.com/forumdisplay...-Tier-12-Raids - as very often threads here are just asking questions already answered in threads located there.

I like how none of the guides on Tankspot are linked in here.

Just saying. We have a ton of information on this website that doesn't require everyone to do an exodus to other webpages for information. If you want to make a compilation of stuff, you might want to reconsider, as swelt said, some Tankspot information.

I have no problems linking to outside, reputable websites when the information is lacking. But some of the things given here, the info is really not lacking in that department. Please also be advised that we cannot guarantee any safeties or reliability outside the Tankspot community when it comes to information.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

I have to agree with Kren. Tankspot offers real-time help from the forums and the stickied guides are more than awesome. You can't go to EJ and ask questions without getting snotty remarks (which was said in your post) so why would any WoW player want to go there for constructive critiscism and for help? It's like going to the official forums and asking for feedback on your rotation - Good luck with that.

Not saying that none of the links above are helpful, but it seems like this post makes Tankspot a not worthy place for information when it is more than worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rystrave View Post
    I have to agree with Kren. Tankspot offers real-time help from the forums and the stickied guides are more than awesome. You can't go to EJ and ask questions without getting snotty remarks (which was said in your post) so why would any WoW player want to go there for constructive critiscism and for help? It's like going to the official forums and asking for feedback on your rotation - Good luck with that.

Not saying that none of the links above are helpful, but it seems like this post makes Tankspot a not worthy place for information when it is more than worthy.
    Well, to be fair, there are only like....8 of them.

+ Reply to Thread