+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: End Time

What should a tank do to try to minimise damage from Tyrande?

Can you strafe when she casts moonlance or will she turn towards you (making it better to stand still so the rest of the party can avoid it)?

I try to interrupt Stardust, but sometimes its on CD, sometimes I am stunned and sometimes I've been rage starved.

At the moment, I feel I am brute forcing through the encounter: I don't know if that is intended, but the damage is high.

You can dodge the Moonlance, and should since it stuns you.

Stardust can't be solo-interrupted unless you have really high dps (in which case she only casts once between phase changes). So set up a rotation with another dps where you interrupt the first stardust and s/he interrupts the second. Then your cooldown should be fast fine, possibly not towards the end of the fight in which case just use a cooldown.

At the end of fight, you can also dodge the starfalls (I'm reasonably sure you can anyways), which is also important as those will stun you if they land on you.

As a Fury warrior, this is where I like to pop Rallying Cry, as a tank you might want to consider using a group-wide cooldown if possible here. But it's really a burn phase anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by theodisius View Post
    What should a tank do to try to minimise damage from Tyrande?

Can you strafe when she casts moonlance or will she turn towards you (making it better to stand still so the rest of the party can avoid it)?

I try to interrupt Stardust, but sometimes its on CD, sometimes I am stunned and sometimes I've been rage starved.

At the moment, I feel I am brute forcing through the encounter: I don't know if that is intended, but the damage is high.
    You can't tank Tyrande as a normal boss, she don't care much about the tank (as in she will stand on her rock and has no melee attacks). I find she will turn and throw moonlance at the ranged (usually the healer) around the lake, so I simply stand behind her, opposite the healer, when I tank her. I have yet to ever get stunned more than than the first time (before I get fully adjusted). Don't think the dungeon journal mentions it, but moonlance is ONLY aimed at the ranged players, and I'm getting the feeling after healing this several times, that she aims for the one furthest away. So simply stay behind her (opposite the ranged) and you should be safe from the stun.

After tanking this a few more times, I can confirm that I was right. When tanking her, I stand on the little rock with Tyrande. Zoom out the camera far enough and you can keep an eye on your ranged party members. When she starts to cast Moonlance, she will turn and face one of the ranged, so simply get behind her while she is casting and you won't get stunned, or even touched, by the Moonlance ever. If you have one of those groups where the ranged feels a strange need to spread out a lot, this means you will have to move a lot. Note of warning: Attempting this fight by making everyone stack on the rock makes it undoable.

You'll need a 2nd interrupt for the stardust, as was said. In my case, I've usually had a rogue or dk in the group that could handle it. Ranged interrupts are a little harder to rely on because they have so much to dodge on the shores. As long as you get out of the way of moonlance, stardust is the only thing you have to worry about.

The eyes of elune (the floating balls) silence and does damage, but since the eyes float around the shore it's not a big issue for a tank.

Not sure what you mean about brute forcing... there is little tactic to this fight other than the interrupts and dodging stuff.

I see a lot of healers who run into the lake, so they won't have to avoid the balls floating about. Note that if you're inside the pink border around the lake you will get a debuff that reduces your cast speed by 50%, so this practice is NOT recommended (I noticed that Aliena does it in the video too, but I don't think we had the debuff on ptr before the first changes were issued).

EDIT: Fixed a couple factual errors. Changes to my original post are coloured blue.
    Last edited by metalbunny; 12-18-2011 at 04:33 AM. Reason: factual stuff

For Baine, it is worth noting that when he jumps to smash the islands, he will swim back in the lava and get the Molten Fists buff, and hit very hard. Therefor it is recommended for tanks to save their 50% cooldown for this, simply wait for him to return to your island, pop the cooldown, and start beating on him. Also don't underestimate the damage you take on this fight, do use your cooldowns generously, and be prepared to use your "oh crap I'm so gonna die" cooldown when the healer gets sent on a swim and you're under 30% health. Obviously the better geared you get, the lower you can let your health slip before going into cooldowns, but most tanks I've had on this fight, that forget their cooldowns, tend to die nomatter how good the healer is.

Also while Baine is playing around with the other islands, I normally back up to the edge of my island, just enough to get the lava buff, and then go after Baine. Doing this increases your damage output as well, which helps get the boss dead faster. I usually do 30-35K dps while tanking this way (ilvl 374 pally tank).

If you're tanking this fight and have gear in the lower end of the scale (353-360), doing the dip is highly recommended to hold threat, as geared dps that do the dipping will simply out-dps the threat your gear is able to generate.

+ Reply to Thread