Thread: Heroic Majordomo Staghelm discussion

Heroic Majordomo Staghelm discussion

Majordomo Fandral Staghelm

The loss of his son, Valstann, in the War of the Shifting Sands utterly shattered Fandral Staghelm's spirit. Now empowered by Ragnaros as the new Majordomo of the Firelands (replacing the deceased Majordomo Executus) and the leader of the treacherous Druids of the Flame, Fandral seeks to bring ruin to Azeroth rather than live in a world without his beloved child.

Stage 1: Behold the Rage of the Firelands!

Fandral transforms into a Cat when his enemies are not clustered together or into a Scorpion when 7 or more of his enemies are clustered together.

Boss Abilities

Cat Form
    Fandral transforms into a Cat when his enemies are not clustered together.

• Leaping Flames: Fandral leaps at an enemy, inflicting 30900 Fire damage in a small area and creating a Spirit of the Flame. This attack costs 100 energy.
    • Spirit of the Flame: These small burning cats attack enemies until defeated.
    • Adrenaline: Fandral gains a stack of Adrenaline each time he performs Leaping Flames. Adrenaline increases his energy regeneration rate by 1% per application. Fandral loses all stacks of Adrenaline when he switches forms.
    • Fury: Fandral gains a stack of Fury each time he transforms into a Cat or Scorpion, permanently increasing the Physical damage he deals by 10%.

Scorpion Form
    Fandral transforms into a Scorpion when 7 or more of his enemies are clustered together.

• Flame Scythe: Inflicts Fire damage in a cone in front of the caster. Damage is split equally among targets hit.
    • Adrenaline: Fandral gains a stack of Adrenaline each time he performs Flame Scythe. Adrenaline increases his energy regeneration rate by 1% per application. Fandral loses all stacks of Adrenaline when he switches forms.
    • Fury: Fandral gains a stack of Fury each time he transforms into a Cat or Scorpion, permanently increasing the Physical damage he deals by 10%.

Stage 2: Blaze of Glory!

Fandral continues to transform into a Cat or Scorpion.

On every third transform, Fandral pauses in human form to briefly envelop his enemies in a Fiery Cyclone and cast an additional spell. When he is switching from Cat form to Scorpion form, Fandral unleashes Searing Seeds. When he is switching from Scorpion form to Cat form, Fandral unleashes Burning Orbs.

Boss Abilities

• Fiery Cyclone: On every third transform, Fandral pauses in human form to briefly envelop his enemies in a Fiery Cyclone. The Fiery Cyclone tosses all enemy targets into the air, preventing all action but making them invulnerable for 3 sec.
    • Searing Seeds: When Fandral switches from Cat form to Scorpion form, he unleashes Searing Seeds. Searing Seeds implants fiery seeds in Fandral's enemies. Each seed grows at a different rate. When fully grown, the seeds explode, inflicting 41199 Fire damage to targets within 10 yards.
    • Burning Orbs: When Fandral switches from Scorpion form to Cat form, he unleashes Burning Orbs. Fandral summons several orbs around the room. Each orb attacks the player nearest to it, burning them for 6180 Fire damage every 2 sec. Stacks.

Concentration (Heroic Only)
    • Each player who engages Fandral on heroic difficulty is granted a Concentration power bar. This bar fills over time, increasing damage and healing done by 25% for every 25 Concentration up to 100. Players hit by a damaging attack or spell will lose all currently accumulated Concentration.

Sources: Dungeon Journal and Tankspot discussion

Video to come later this week, I wish I had been frapsing last night ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

We killed this last night, fairly easily, with the 'no scythes' strategy. 'No scythes' means exactly that, when Staghelm is in Scorpion form the group will spread out just before his energy reaches full (run out at ~80 energy). The advantage here is that your raid will have a higher uptime with the Concentration buff since the raidwide damage will be reduced. You will still have to deal with Searing Seeds and Burning Orbs which will remove your Concentration.

So the pull would look something like this.

Collapse for Scorpion
    l
    Spread out at ~80 energy, before the first Flame Scythe hits
    l
    Allow Cat to jump around about 6 times
    l
    Collapse for Scorpion, receive Searing Seeds
    l
    Spread out at ~80 energy, before the first Flame Scythe hits, handle Searing Seeds appropriately
    l
    Allow Cat to jump around about 6 times
    l
    Collapse for Scorpion
    l
    Spread out at ~80 energy, before the first Flame Scythe hits
    l
    Burning Orbs, handle them as usual
    l
    Collapse for Scorpion, repeat ad naseum

People keep walking into my cube, gonna have to come back to this later. Let me know if I missed any critical points, we downed this pretty quickly last night so there was not a lot of "research" done by our raid group with this fight.
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Couple of things I'd add:
    - 1 tank, probably 2 healers.
    - Collapsing promptly is important, if people are slow to collapse in you can get a leap on the raid.
    - We actually chose to take the first scythe by using glyphed shield wall + shield block, just to squeeze out a little more dps at the start, but certainly not essential to do this

Dumb question, something that did not make sense to us the other night, for the Leap in cat form what are his exact targetting requirements? He doesn't shoot for a "ranged" class to leap on based on spec, does he?

We had him on two consecutive pulls jump IN melee despite having 4 people out doing the Burning Orbs. We had one of our healers in the melee pile and she said that she was the target of the jump. We don't usually do this, it was an oddball night, and I'm assuming that everyone was positioned appropriately and she wasn't 5 yards away.

Again, dumb question, just opened up for discussion. We did kill him later that evening after a few more /facepalm moments by the raid, but we did find this behavior to be perplexing. Does anyone else have a healer in the melee pile occasionally see this happen? Or not see it happen?

Players with a talent spec classified as "healer" or "ranged dps" are valid targets to be jumped on, regardless of distance from the boss. Melee specced players at range cannot be jumped on (at least I haven't seen him leap at a melee at range in the 4 months since Firelands launched).

You can see a video made by me (Tank PoV) of the fight in the general Staghelm strategy thread linked in the OP. I may take the liberty of editing it into the OP.

General Strategy (timestamps valid for the video I posted in the other thread):

0:00 Pull boss into scorpion form
    0:22 All behind boss, Ardent Defender the first swipe, split immediately afterwards. Boss is at 95%.
    1:45 8 jumps, then collapse, Hand of Protection on melee/bubble/iceblock to avoid Searing Seeds application. Boss is at 68%.
    2:00 Split at 70 energy. Boss at 66%.
    3:20 8 jumps, then collapse. Boss at 47%
    3:40 AD one swipe, split immediately after it. Boss at 42%
    3:45 Balls spawn, melee share the beams as they cannot be jumped on. Ranged stay well away from orbs.
    4:45 Balls despawn as boss jumps for the 5th time.
    5:00 After 8 jumps, collapse. Boss at 28%
    5:20 Split at 70 energy. Boss does 8 jumps
    6:40 Collapse, bubble/hand of protection on melee/iceblock (although not needed in this case as the boss dies 5 seconds later). Boss at 3%
    6:50 Boss dies.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 10-25-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Good to know, I'll have to mention that next fight.

If you'd like it added just send me the link.

If we don't have a pally tank, would a Shield Wall + Spirit Link Totem (with just the tank and myself) be enough to absorb the swipe? Together, we would have about 340k hp

The swipe does 900k damage at the beginning of the fight (increasing by 16% per scorpion phase).

so the damage would first be halved, as you are taking it with two people.

450000 each.

then, take 50% off the warrior's damage taken.

225000 warrior, 450000 you.

then take 20% off that

180000 warrior, 360000 you.

(I think that maths is right)

You can eat it easly as a pally by just using argent defender. You will take 900K, die, but actualy not die and come back with 15% health.Having the tank eat one hit is actualy originaly a strat done like that with a pally tank.Id also like to aditionaly comment on the discussion mentioned above on Majordomo's targets for leaps in cat phase. The fight does recognize healers and ranged dps and leap them preferably, as you guys stated. *However*, there is a minimal amount (almost sure it is 5) of ranged+healers a fight has to have or he may leap melee (or even the tank). This because in our progress attempts we were surprised when he leaped me (i was tanking), and concluded it was because we had lost 3 ranged dps and everyone become a valid leap target.

This kind of mechanic usually requires at least 2 or 3 ranged/healers to not target melee or the tanks, for example in ICC with the vomiting debuff at festergut.