Thread: [10H] Ragnaros

[10H] Ragnaros

Hello, to anyone working on heroic Ragnaros now or have some insight on the fight, I just have a couple of questions! I'd like to thank this community for helping us get where we are now. I know I state 10-man here since I'm in a 10-man guild, but I'm sure it's pretty similar on 25-man, so feel free to input too! My guild will be starting on this fight starting tomorrow and I know we probably have a long journey ahead of us, but it should prove to be fun. So from what I can gather:

P1: Magma Trap Eruption gives the raid a debuff increasing damage taken from other traps for 30 seconds.
    P1.5: Sons of Flames spawn point randomized.
    P2: Molten Elementals buff each other when close to each other (similar to the little adds on Maloriak). Also, Engulfing Flame happens in 3-4 successions.
    P2.5: Sons of Flames spawn point randomized.
    P3: Besides the carried over Engulfing Flame change, I can't see anything different from the meteors.
    P4: Drag meteors into Breadth of Frosts, grab Deluge from Cloudbursts and put out Dreadflames, and drag Ragnaros over Entrapping Roots.

My main questions are, during the transitions, Sons of Flames locations seem randomized, and so instead of the 2-6, 4-4, 6-2 spawns on regular, are there more combinations (ie. 1-7, 3-5, 5-3, etc.)? Do the meteors in P3 speed up at all depending on how many times it has been knocked back? I'm also a little bit curious about what this World in Flames (buff/debuff?) does. Last but not least, P4 seems to be the most confusing, so what is the reason for letting the meteors chase people instead of just popping them in the Breadth of Frost and eliminate them out of the equation? How long does this Breadth of Frost last for? Where does Dreadflame start and does it start at the beginning of P4? About Cloudburst, do I just need to touch the AoE to gain the Deluge effect? Again, I'm not expecting all questions to be answered but I just want to go in with a little more idea of the fight:].
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Hello, to anyone working on heroic Ragnaros now or have some insight on the fight, I just have a couple of questions! I'd like to thank this community for helping us get where we are now. I know I state 10-man here since I'm in a 10-man guild, but I'm sure it's pretty similar on 25-man, so feel free to input too! My guild will be starting on this fight starting tomorrow and I know we probably have a long journey ahead of us, but it should prove to be fun. So from what I can gather:

P1: Magma Trap Eruption gives the raid a debuff increasing damage taken from other traps for 30 seconds.
    P1.5: Sons of Flames spawn point randomized.
    P2: Molten Elementals buff each other when close to each other (similar to the little adds on Maloriak). Also, Engulfing Flame happens in 3-4 successions.
    P2.5: Sons of Flames spawn point randomized.
    P3: Besides the carried over Engulfing Flame change, I can't see anything different from the meteors.
    P4: Drag meteors into Breadth of Frosts, grab Deluge from Cloudbursts and put out Dreadflames, and drag Ragnaros over Entrapping Roots.

My main questions are, during the transitions, Sons of Flames locations seem randomized, and so instead of the 2-6, 4-4, 6-2 spawns on regular, are there more combinations (ie. 1-7, 3-5, 5-3, etc.)?
    Yes.

Do the meteors in P3 speed up at all depending on how many times it has been knocked back?
    Not that I'm aware of

I'm also a little bit curious about what this World in Flames (buff/debuff?) does.
    It's just the Heigen dance mechanic...except easier.

Last but not least, P4 seems to be the most confusing, so what is the reason for letting the meteors chase people instead of just popping them in the Breadth of Frost and eliminate them out of the equation?
    Because you need to stand in Bredth of Frost in order to not get murdered by his Superheated...if you use them too early you'll just die to Superheated stacks.

How long does this Breadth of Frost last for?
    Until you do something to make it go away (stack and make him blow you all up or drop a meatball on it).

Where does Dreadflame start and does it start at the beginning of P4?
    It, I think, starts in a random place...I've not seen it start in his pool area though (I think). And yes, it starts in p4.

About Cloudburst, do I just need to touch the AoE to gain the Deluge effect? Again, I'm not expecting all questions to be answered but I just want to go in with a little more idea of the fight:].
    One person gets Deluge from the Cloudburst and uses it to stop Dreadflames from killing you. Ideally someone mobile (a hunter is good).

Don't worry to much about phase 4, we're working on him for a month now and have yet to see it. You'll have enough to do with learning how to handle traps in phase 1, coordinating the intermissions without speccs capable of aoe stuns and coming up with a working strategy for the seeds. We actually had to gear up an alt (and now thinking about bringing another one) to make all this work. Lastly you'll need enough dps to push phase 3 with only 2 meteors or you're done as well. It's the same fault Blizzard did on Sinestra, copy-ing spells 1:1 (hello Wrack!) without thinking about that 3 meteors in 10m occupy 30% of your raid while 3 meteors in 25m occupy 12%.

- Son spawns are regulary 2-6, 3-5, 4-4, 5-3 or 6-2 so two dps assigned for each side and the rest adjusting accordingly.
    - Meteors don't speed up but are immune to knockbacks for about 6 seconds after their last push, including 2 seconds of immobility.
    Ion covered already everything else.

Thanks a lot guys! Hehe, that's probably true about P4:P, I guess I may be a little ahead of myself!
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde

We're having a great deal of trouble with P2. Our group makeup is

Tanks: DK, Paladin
    DPS: Boomkin, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter, Elemental Shaman, Ret Paladin
    Heals: Holy Paladin, Disc Priest

The adds reach us and destroy us. We have had a few attempts where our AOE was strong enough to kill them, but generally speaking, they reach us all stacked up and die a few seconds later after killing one or two players, or run to us spread out and barely get finished off before we move into the next lava seed phase.

Without changing our group makeup, how would you suggest we deal with this phase? We're having absolutely no trouble with phase 1, coming out of it with only 1 magma trap.

Stake for the adds, then have everyone run there own direction and single target down the elemental.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by hx9 View Post
    We're having a great deal of trouble with P2. Our group makeup is

Tanks: DK, Paladin
    DPS: Boomkin, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter, Elemental Shaman, Ret Paladin
    Heals: Holy Paladin, Disc Priest

The adds reach us and destroy us. We have had a few attempts where our AOE was strong enough to kill them, but generally speaking, they reach us all stacked up and die a few seconds later after killing one or two players, or run to us spread out and barely get finished off before we move into the next lava seed phase.

Without changing our group makeup, how would you suggest we deal with this phase? We're having absolutely no trouble with phase 1, coming out of it with only 1 magma trap.
    Split up, aoe them when they spawn (hunter multi shot, moonkin mushroom, lock can have his pet over there and felstorm them (will be up for every one), etc) then single target them down. If they're close together they do ... more damage (I'd have to look it up), if you split up they do managable damage to each person. If you can't kill them single target...I dunno...you have to. Have your DPS do some research. All of those classes should have DPS to spare...especially if you have the gear to be working on heroic Rag.

Manage some dps cooldowns to help you control killing the adds efficiently. If you bop someone, say the warlock before the 1st seeds are spawned there is no seed spawned on him, so he can waltz in and dominate the adds through hellfire and immolation aura.
    You could also use rapid fire from your hunter on a wave, wings from your ret, don't know if boomkins have any cds other than their eclipse mechanic.

With a boomkin hunter and warlock(assuming hes demo) you shouldn't have any problems with the seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by likesombode View Post
    Manage some dps cooldowns to help you control killing the adds efficiently. If you bop someone, say the warlock before the 1st seeds are spawned there is no seed spawned on him, so he can waltz in and dominate the adds through hellfire and immolation aura.
    You could also use rapid fire from your hunter on a wave, wings from your ret, don't know if boomkins have any cds other than their eclipse mechanic.

With a boomkin hunter and warlock(assuming hes demo) you shouldn't have any problems with the seeds.
    Shouldn't really be blowing cooldowns on p2...you'll want them for p3 to minimize the number of meteors you get.

One question: most guides/strategies say that you should push him to/under 40% right when he starts World in Flames so that you can DPS him the whole time during the channeled cast. When we do it, however, he always interrupts his cast and initiates the transition phase. (We´ve been on him for the last 3 weeks). THat way, its impossible to bring him udner 37% (at most).

Was there a fix/change or can you do something "wrong" about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    One question: most guides/strategies say that you should push him to/under 40% right when he starts World in Flames so that you can DPS him the whole time during the channeled cast. When we do it, however, he always interrupts his cast and initiates the transition phase. (We´ve been on him for the last 3 weeks). THat way, its impossible to bring him udner 37% (at most).

Was there a fix/change or can you do something "wrong" about this?
    They changed it (I think when they nerfed it, I recall it working that way before but it definitely doesn't now)...37% should be enough in any case.

Thank you, Ion

We are a little bit struggling with the DPS because we have a very small pool of players and some of them are only in 378 gear. But with some changes and amazing tank-dps by me, we should be able to pull one meteor of regardless

[10H] Ragnaros

Starting h rag soon n wondering if 2 healing is absolutely necessary. Im guessing yes but figured id run the question by you vets before we dive in.

Usual comp:
    Blood dk, prot warr
    Resto sham, resto druid, holy pally
    Hunter, spriest, rogue, demo lock, mdps dk

Were thinking about making the h pally go ret since the shammy has no dps spec and druid is extremely necessary. Would a resto shamm/resto druid combo be viable for this?

Also, have seen vids where a rogue has cleared the flame in p4..is this viable for 10m or would u most definitely want the hunter/spriest to do it so they can multitask/dps on the move

1. I wouldn´t recommened 3-healing the fight. That would mean you would definetly have to with two meteors into phase4 which makes it significantly more harder. You simply don´t need 3 healers, anyway,

2. I think Shaman/Druid should work as a healer combo, although I think that the Paladin would be slightly better. But then again, the healer that has to DPS has to pull his weight, too.

My guild ran Hpally + resto druid for our kill. But we had Hpally + resto shaman for a lot of our progression even some sub-10% wipes. We plan on killing it with Rshaman + Rdruid, eventually... to get out guild's resto shaman the achievement.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 10-19-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ARE YOU NOT HAPPY ION
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    My guild ran Hpally + restro druid for our kill. But we had Hpally + restro shaman for a lot of our progression even some sub-10% wipes. We plan on killing it with Rshaman + Rdruid, eventually... to get out guild's restro shaman the achievement.
    RESTO

RESTORATION

PERHAPS RESTOR BUT NOT (NEVER) RESTRO

Jesus H Tapdancing Christ on a Cracker

A bit late to the party. We got 6/7 pre-nerf and have been dabbling in H-Rag ever since. Most of our P1-P3 problems have been ironed out with one exception: P3 DPS. I've read that while doing this fight with only 2 meteors is not advisable in 10. We've yet to meet this benchmark (Typically getting our second meteor at about 16%).

I feel that a big problem is we are rather poor at handling the first meteor during P3. Often when one player kites, it ends up crossing other players, requiring them to move and drastically reducing our DPS. I saw in a few videos (FATBOSS in particular) that some groups will consolidate and simply keep the meteor "at by" by constantly knocking it back. Any advice for how to go about doing it or improving DPS in general during P3? We are generally also able to kill or come very close to killing the scions before rag pops during the transition (with heroism). Should we be saving heroism for rag to emerge?

We were working at the same thing and are now able to reach P4 with only one meteor. The key things are:

- He should reappear with 38% at most (37,4% should be possible)
    - The Scions should be dead or at most at 10-20% when he reappears
    - One healer has to DPS and your tanks have to do decent DPS as well (me (Warrior) and our Druid do 20k DPS each during the 79 seconds until the second meteor spawns)

Its still very tight, but possible. Our average iLevel is 383.