+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior Threat Issue

Prot Warrior Threat Issue

I've been playing a protection warrior on and off for a while now. I was protection all through T11, changed to Fury at the start of T12 and just recently went back to protection. I've never had a problem with threat until this most recent change. For whatever reason I'm having horrible issues keeping threat off our Paladin tank. IE - Unless he auto attacks Ragnaros I can not keep threat off him when switching. He even has to auto-attack at times to keep from pulling. I've read numerous guides. I feel like my rotation and spec are optimal for single target threat generation. I also feel like Im gemmed/chanted/reforged correctly. This is extremely frustrating. Am I doing something wrong?

Below is an armory link. Maybe you can find something wrong to explain the situation?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...druco/advanced

Who starts tanking Ragnaros? If he does and don't toggle his righteous fury while maintaining his full rotation you'll never be able to compete (even with Vigilance) and it's the same vice versa, you'll have to swap to battle stance as well if you really want to use that incite or sword and board procc right on the swap

What really helps: after taunt use your best styles and intervene him. Yes i know you're specced into safeguard and the damage reduction will only help against the ticking dot but with aggro being your issue (fyi: it's mine as well ) the 10% aggro drop from intervene is nice.

#showtooltip
    /cast [@focus,exists][@mouseover] Intervene

That works with your focus target on the other tank (i use that as well to track his burning wound stacks more easily) and you don't have to hassle around with mouseover or even clicking him.. you basically can't afford it while trying to deal maximum damage.

Other than that: do you use a voice com for tanking and announce swaps? Both of you could just hit escape when the other one starts counting from three to zero.

You skipped Blood and Thunder; Maintaining Rend via TC is the second highest priority in Max TPS rotation (first if you don't have a 2pc Bonus). Are you using SnB on CD or are you popping it each time you Taunt?, do you weave CB's into your rotation? its' a crap ton of threat and can be good for snap aggro. If you feel you can get away with it ditch Revenge and the Imp.Rev talent, its not part of max TPS rotation.

What is your rotation?

On ragnaros i usually hold back a little the first time the other tank taunts but after that you should be able to maintain your rotation without getting aggro back, or in your case loose aggro. Start off with a shieldblock>shieldslam+HS on the first gcd, spam devastate, use SnB procs and use inner rage and spam HS. As tengenstein said the max tps rotation includes blood and thunder rend/tc and CB but its hardly needed. And don't forget vigilance small bit of extra ap helps.

If your rogues and hunters are still doing ToT and MD on start tank that need to overtake will have issues.We had same case but paladin had problem to take boss from me ( warrior ).When I asked them to stop doing ToTs and MD all was fine.
    But what ppl said before me ,intervene (safe guard is nice for this boss ) and taunt off should be enough.

Also remove imp revenge and get blood & thunder not cause of boss ,but you can help on adds with that cause every bit of dps on sons of flame and molten elementals is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peca View Post
    If your rogues and hunters are still doing ToT and MD on start tank that need to overtake will have issues.We had same case but paladin had problem to take boss from me ( warrior ).When I asked them to stop doing ToTs and MD all was fine.
    But what ppl said before me ,intervene (safe guard is nice for this boss ) and taunt off should be enough.
    I thought TotT and MD only transfered 6 seconds of threat which then lasted for 30 seconds, so it shouldn't make a diference unless you taunt off the other tank less than 6 seconds after the DPS start up.

Not all of them tot and md in same sec,I am saying this from my expiriance after tps hotfix.When we halted tots and mds all was perfect.You dont need any of those now anyway.

People often use a 'target of target' macro for tricks, but that can easily result in you giving threat to a tank that has just stopped tanking. It's a bad habit, rogues should be using tricks on dps toons not tanks (at least after the pull) for the dps increase and their set bonus.

As Klausi says though, the issue is probably more about what the paladin is doing, not what you are doing. You really need to chill out when someone taunts off you since the hotfix. Sucks for DKs who lose all their runic power, their primary runic power tool and get slow regening runes for dropping blood presence.
    Last edited by swelt; 09-23-2011 at 04:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread