+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 11.77% Beyond Mastery Cap

11.77% Beyond Mastery Cap

I'm a lvl 85 Prot Paladin with 11.77% avoidance rating beyond the 102.4% hard cap for mastery.

As I understand it:

Dodge (14.58%)
    +Parry (16.53%)
    +Block (55.16%)
    +Mastery (22.29%)
    +Miss (5%)
    =Avoidance (114.17%)

114.17% - 102.4% = 11.77%

I cannot decide what to do with this extra 11.77%. To my knowledge, a debate exists between threat stats (hit/expertise) and avoidance (dodge/parry). I have read-up on both sides, and it seems as if putting the extra into dodge/parry rating is the majority consensus. I am not entirely convinced though, as I have a few questions.

~What is the point when DR is basically a zero gain for the cost?
    ~For those who do reach hit/exp caps - is it really that worth it? (I have zero problems holding aggro in FL as MT of my guild)
    ~What about stamina? I understand Blizz got away from the Wrath stamina race for tanks for a reason, but would it be a viable option at this point?
    ~Can I do both hit/exp AND dump the rest in dodge/parry? (or even stamina?)

Link to my character: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ackarot/simple

My apologies if a similar post has been done recently, but I haven't been able to locate one.

Thank you very much for any/all feedback. I'm really stuck!

If you got this figures form the in game character sheet then it doesn't accounting for diminishing returns.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

You're double counting your Mastery and your Block. All of that Mastery is what results in your 55.16% block coverage.

You have 91,27% CTC when completely unbuffed (14.58+16.53+55.16+5). Mastery elixir + food will bump that up to about 95%, BoK and Strength buff will add another ~0.4%.

WHEN you hit full CTC (102.4% on character pane), you should bleed mastery from gems into stamina, and mastery from items into avoidance.

If you got this figures form the in game character sheet then it doesn't accounting for diminishing returns.
    If you take the values you see on the character pane (not in the tooltips) you are looking at post-DR avoidance.

If you are having trouble understanding how this works, here is a neat addon that shows you in game: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...bat-table.aspx

OK, wow thanks for the help everyone. i'm glad i didn't start reforging, etc yet

Much obliged.

Oh, one more thing - is there a way for me to raise my current CTC with my current gear set? (reforging, gem, ench?) Should I rid of my gems that are dodge, parry and throw +40 mastery into the slots instead? What else could I do?

Don't gem pure mastery. The stamina and avoidance trade-off, unless it would push you over the last percent or so, is too large. Reforge the parry on the cloak to mastery, do the same to your belt. The boots from Dragonmaw are better than your current boots despite being 6 item levels lower so go get that rep up.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 10-09-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks a bunch Fetzie. Your guide to prot pally is genius btw.

Would love to hit 80% let alone 90%...problem is I don't raid and I don't think it's possible with T11 or T12 gear.

The guide is awesome and I have gained about 10% avoidance from using it.

I was at about 93% or so in normal mode T11 gear without using a second mastery trinket or using 40 mastery gems.

I'm going to be tanking again next week while our MT is traveling IRL, so I dusted off my Pally Prot gear and was playing around with the numbers and was wondering how armor plays in with all this.

So using my unbuffed numbers:

Dodge - 12.94%
    Parry - 15.35%
    Block - 60.88%
    Miss - 5.00%

Total - 94.17%

My armor is at 36,640 which reduces in coming physical damage by 58.43%.

So does that mean that a physical damage hit is reduced by 58.43%, then the hit runs through the avoidance and block numbers? So that say there's a hit for 1000; does armor reduce it to 415.7, then assuming it's blocked does the hit then get reduced by 30% for the block and come through as 290.29 i.e. (415 - 124.71)?

Percentage reductions (armor, inspiration, Shieldwall-esque buffs etc.) happen before blocks reduce the damage by 30 or 50%, which happen before absorbs (PW:S, Guarded by the Light, holy pala mastery etc) if I remember correctly. Remember that the damage reduction displayed on the character pane is for same-level enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Percentage reductions (armor, inspiration, Shieldwall-esque buffs etc.) happen before blocks reduce the damage by 30 or 50%, which happen before absorbs (PW:S, Guarded by the Light, holy pala mastery etc) if I remember correctly. Remember that the damage reduction displayed on the character pane is for same-level enemies.
    So it's %reductions, then blocks, then absorbs? So in my example if a Disc priest had a 300 point bubble on me, the damage would drop to 0, but 290 of the bubble would be gone?

So the numbers on our character sheet are for lvl 85 mobs not raid bosses?

Before the block change, the priority was
    1) Block
    2) Multiplicative reduction (armor, SW, Def Stance, talents,...) as well as 'vulnerabilities' (such as anub adds in TotC)
    3) External/Buff absorbs (PW:S etc)

Nowadays, Block is equal to those in group 2, so it does not matter much anymore, as their exact order is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread