+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Someone Help Please Holy Priest

Someone Help Please Holy Priest

I've been working on this toon ever since Cat arrived. In LK, I was always near the top in heals but since Cat I've been consistently at the bottom. I am thinking that I just haven't tuned my priest. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Mayda/advanced Here is the armory link. Any advice or help would greatly be appreciated. Here is a log of a raid http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/g...3zv/details/1/

You need about 2% ish more haste. Your goal is to be above 12.5% haste raid buffed (so you get 5 ticks of renew) and seeing as you pick up so many renew.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Take the fight of Beth for example, are you assigned to heal one of the tanks?
    In such an AoE heavy fight, Gheal at #1 seems weird to me. Your PoM only healed 11 times throughout the fight, way too low imo.

Heals

During the Beth fight I was up top on the web healing the Tank and DPS. So for that I was mostly single target healing. For Lord Rhyolith, I was following the DPS group on the legs.

There is still roughly 2 - 3 minutes of burn on beth, and you certainly do more then 11 PoM during that transition. Somebody else should pick up the tanks once she lands.

Also prayer of healing is only 9.4% of your healing all night long. It seems like your doing a lot more single target healing then AoE maybe you should go disc if this is the case.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 09-20-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    It seems like your doing a lot more single target healing then AoE maybe you should go disc if this is the case.
    I agree with this. Holy definitely can do the job fine, but disc is just too good on single target healing. Plus that you're paired with two powerful raid healers. Though I'd say that the shaman should be healing the tank in this case, not the holy priest.

If you can do your assigned job with no problem and other healers are handling the raid well (i.e. don't need your help) then I wouldn't care much about being low on the chart. For example, Shannox, Beth and Rhyolith all have burn phase in the end, all raid will be taking a lot damage and healers are going all out at the moment. In the log I see a climbing HPS in the burn phase of Shannox, but in the burn phase of Beth and Rhyolith your HPS didn't have a lot changes. (Especially on Beth.) It could be what I said that the other healers were handling the raid well. But if you have spare time and mana, helping on raid is not a bad idea.

I wish I could explain it clearer but unfortunately English isn't my native. lol

I also see a lot overheal on the log, especially Shannox. Greater heal @ 43.7% overheal, renew @ 54%, flash heal 62.3% and divine touch 49%. It could be a sign that you were not using the right spell at the right moment. I only use renews on tanks with Chakra: Serenity, or some specific moments that renew can tick its full duration without a lot overhealing. Divine touch with 49% overheal could be indicating that you were casting renew on someone who was nearly at full health. Same with flash heal, it should be only used on target with very low health. Even if you have a surge of light proc, you should still try to use it effectively.

That's what I see from the log. Don't forget to use PoM more! PoM and CoH are the gem of holy priests imo.

Tschus covers the majority of what I could say. As a holy priest you basically just spam PoM, CoH, PoH, and fill with renew. If you are going to have to go single target then you should be disc.

by far the two healers i was with are the most geared in he guild. I'm going to take what you say to heart. Thanks. Hit more AOE's when I'm not on he tank. I do tend to focus on the Tank even when I'm down on the ground in the Beth fight. I'll throw an AOE when I see raidwide damage and single target the rest of the time. I don't usually have mana issues except if a fight goes really long. Then everyone else is in the same situation. Another thing I'm concerned about, is Priest heals are generally slow. So by the time I fire it off, the Shaman and Druid already have them topped of or near it so I'm overhealing. Thanks for the advise. Really do appreciate it. I guess my gear and stats are ok since nobody mentioned that except for the haste which I've increased now.

It's true that holy priests are slow healers compare with others. It takes a bit more skills and experiences for a holy priest to do as good as others. If you are constantly overhealing then you might want to change the way you heal. Since other healers are so good and fast, don't compete with them on the random damages and spot healing. If you're familiar with the fight enough, you'll be able to predict the incoming damage and pre-cast your slow heals.

You may also go full haste on your gear setup, but I think it's not necessary. Remember that healers are cooperating and not competing with each others.

As for your gears and stats, I'll give some suggestions here. They are quite fine and only need a few tweaks, and they won't change the situation that much as your spell choice and reflex during the fight does.

I'd suggest that go for 50 int on bracers, heartsong on weapon, and purified demonseye on your gloves. Power torrent is also a good throughput enchant, but heartsong gives more regen and I'm not a fan of int procs. You can keep it if you want the throughput and doesn't need the regen.

For talents, I won't take divine touch and rapid renewal for my 10man setup. Spirit of redemption is also a lackluster. I would take those points to max out tome of light, body and sould, and blessed resilience. You'll have one more spare talent point after those, I'll be throwing it on improved power word: shield. You can also take one point from mental agility to max out imp. pw: s, and replace the glyph of guardian spirit to glyph of pw: s. That would turn pw: s into a handy tool, and with the glyph it can refresh renew when you're in chakra: serenity.

For stats choice and further reading I recommend this guide on plusheal.com. Well written and decent concepts, definitely worth a read!

Admittedly, my priest is an alt, but looking at your world of logs, I noticed gaps in your chakra state uptime. I could be mistaken, but as holy you should be in either one chakra or another, as there is no downside or duration limit on it anymore, and both provide significant benefits to your healing. Personally, I prefer the aoe chakra and raid heal on my priest if I am holy, and switch to discipline for any sustained single target healing fights.
    Also, why are so few of your raid clicking the lightwell? It is the most mana-efficient and useful tool at a Holy priest's disposal, but I only see two members of your raid who bothered to click the darn thing. Reminding your raid that clicking the lightwell does not interrupt casts and can be done while moving may help motivate people to click more often. Alas, this is the lament of the holy priest for as long as lightwell has existed.

All good information. Thanks. I'll look at the gems and talents. I've never thought that Body and Soul was a great talent and never took it until recently when I added a point there and removed one from Blessed resiliance. It's worth a try though.

I am not sure about gaps in Chakra. I'm usually pretty careful about maintianing one state or another. Mostly in Serenity, sure wish I could macro Holy word, drives me crazy. Honestly, thinking about it I should probably use Sanctuary more. I do on fights that do heavy AOE and I'm assigned as raid heals. But I do get pigeonholed at times to tank heal probably because the other healers are powerful healers.

As for lightwell.....don't get me started on lightwell. Even with a mage saying over and over again, click the lightwell. I've raided with this guild for two years. They've never been fond of lightwell. I really do appreciate the comments and tips.

+ Reply to Thread