+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Greg Street, AKA Ghostcrawler

Uldum was Deathwing telling Al'Akir to get the catpeople to break the locks on the Titan's "Ultimate Weapon of Earthly Destruction" to speed up his plans of Twilight. That storyline became a lot more clear when Brann Bronzebeard came into the picture. Brann cuts the wires on the Re-origination device at the end of this quest chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Here's the ending cutscene for that chain/zone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fFNF7jllic
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Just read we can't buy Tier 13 with VP; has to all come from raid bosses. That's gonna really suck if you have more then one other of your class in raid. I raid with 2 other Pallies in my raid group and I'm the new guy.
    Baradin hold type, or token type like from current bosses? If it's Baradin hold, that would be bad (a lot of useless drops potentially with others who never get anything), but tokens - that would be a nightmare for gearing if you're trying to fill 2 gear sets... *sigh*
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

@Outback - the bigger point is what did that have to do with anything else? Uldum could be removed and there's nothing really lost. Deepholm was his resting place and dealt with the maelstorm. Twilight and Mt. Hyjal are home to his minions. Uldum is just there. There's a story line, but it seemed completely disjointed from the rest of the zones' connection.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I'll agree that nothing would be lost from the overall story arch, it probably would have felt better if Deathwing had actually shown up to delegate some of the responsibility, in person. It did feel comical up until the point where Brann shows up and says "oh by the way, Deathwing can kill us all by pressing this button over here. We should probably do something about that, eh?"

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Baradin hold type, or token type like from current bosses? If it's Baradin hold, that would be bad (a lot of useless drops potentially with others who never get anything), but tokens - that would be a nightmare for gearing if you're trying to fill 2 gear sets... *sigh*
    I assume we'll see a lot of VP-nonset-gear instgead you could use to bypass the time. On what else we should spent our points? They want us to still attend in LFD. Setboni are certainly useful to some extent but shouldn't make or break your char

Our pool is pretty balanced and consists of
    rogue druid mage deathknight (4)
    priest priest paladin paladin warlock (5)
    hunter warrior warrior shaman (4)

And we can only sell one leg token to the vendor for weeks (5 gold, yay...), everything else is still needed by one class or another for mainspecc. For 10m it would be decent if they could release one token for all (thus we're guaranteed to get equipped in 13 weeks) and do something against d/e loot altogether. After your first set of daggers and mail/leather stuff there's regulary nobody else who even could take it for offspecc, have the disenchanted heroic loot equals to upgrade tokens 'Crystallized Firestone' (instead of maelstroems you can farm all night long in zul randoms) and everybody would be happy, wouldn't we? We had three upgrade token drops in about 60 heroic bosskills and they were all spent on weapons, nobody got the chance to upgrade bracer/ring/necklace/belt or even think about using them for relic/ranged slot.

I hope so - 8 bosses isn't a lot unless they go with larger than normal loot tables.

Set bonuses aren't make or break, but they are guaranteed upgrades with VP, just with a set timeline. I know I'll get upgrades through VP. With drops, the token or off-set has to drop and then in our case, 25m DKP system, you have to have the top bid as well. It's not a big deal for most - but most don't swap DPS/Tank regularly like I do. I always feel half-assed when it comes to gear. It's not make or break like you were saying, but it'd be nice to get some major upgrades instead of minor non-key upgrades all the time. lol

I do like the idea of de-ing heroic loot for firestone equivalents - that makes some sense. I could see potential for drama, but everything has that potential, and it really seems like a pretty decent idea.

Our group consists of:
    Rogue, mage, druid, druid, DK (5)
    Priest, paladin, paladin (3)
    Hunter, shaman (2)

Backups are for failures.

Not sure how I feel about ALL gear coming from tokens though. It's entirely possible that I'd be sitting on two offset leg pieces (for example) before one of the rogue/mage/dk/druid group gets one at all...much less offset ones. As opposed to spending valor points on it, which means we all basically get our 3 pieces at the same pace, assuming it's worth doing (meaning that tier pieces are you best way to spend points).

I do like the idea that you could DE or sell, if tacking it on to enchanting feels a bit wonky (which it does to me), rot loot for Crystallized-Firestone-equivalents...at least for heroic loot. It doesn't even have to be 1:1...if you can just sell it for "Firestone Shard" and it takes 3 or 4 or 10 or whatever shards and then you can buy a "Crystallized Firestone" which you can THEN use to buy a generic upgrade, that's fine too.

An extension of that idea would be ... well I'm not sure this is a GOOD idea, but just dropping "leg token" instead of "prot leg token", so that EVERYONE who killed the boss can use the token. Of course, then the question becomes where do you STOP doing that? Helm and shoulders again? Or does that paradigm carry over to helm and shoulder too? If not, why not?

I honestly don't understand the idea of "conq, vanq and prot token" as opposed to just a single "tier <armor part> token", so I might not be the best to discuss it. I mean, I guess if you're in a huge raid it's not a big deal, but if our hunter went .... warlock or spriest or mage and I switched from shaman to rogue or ret or feral dps, it'd be a zero prot mark raid...and not much different from what we are now, just a different ranged dps and a different melee dps.

Meh. I can see the argument, sort of, for random loot being interesting (WILL IT DROP THIS WEEK!?), but having rot tier tokens immediately seems like a really sub-optimal situation, and not even unreasonable to have happen in 10 mans, especially.

Well if LFR doesn't have a lock out then we'll basically be farming LFR when the normal mode progression raids aren't happening until we get all the upgrades we can out of there. I'm seeing this as causing very fast burnout.

Still hoping for a tanking legendary that each style of tank can choose their weapon between a Str 1H, str 2H and a polearm with dodge procs for each so dps will be less likely to use them.

The deathwing raid itself seems awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post

GS: We had decided a while ago that we were going to make a fix to threat in 4.3. We were just getting really frustrated by all the tales of... it's funny, because the community really latched onto this as a Dungeon Finder fix but we always viewed it as a problem we were seeing players having in raids, and even heroic raids, where no matter what the tank was doing, someone, perhaps a DPS Warrior or Death Knight, was creeping up on them and then we'd have to have Hand of Salv rotations and things like that, and we were talking about “Okay, what threat dump are we going to give the DPS Warrior?” and it just made us sit down and say “You know what? Is anyone really having fun with this system?”
    That is a complete fabrication. The only encounter consistently complained about was Heroic Domo, and that was due to encounter design/mechanics. The threat hot-fix was a desperate attempt to fill out the LFD system.

I'm also concerned with the whole "If its it not fun then ditch it" idea. What happens when active mitigation is implemented and tanks start dying because they can't keep up a rotation? That probably won't be perceived as "fun" by all. I'm just glad to be in a 10 man guild where my DPS is somewhat relevant, because being relegated to a damage soaker for 2 tiers isn't my idea of "fun".

Wonderful interview Lore! You asked some great questions, and Ghostcrawler was very straightforward with his answers. Love it.
    Hit me. I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Very nice interview, Lore. He really opened up about the new raid, which sounds very cool, gear, etc; a lot more detail then I would have expected.
    Yet he still proves why the development team fails at making a bloody game. Rather then addressing the issues that melee classes have like mobility and boss up time in PvE (as well as PvP), he thinks this bandage fix is going to solve all of the world's problems when it won't.

Also a single class legendary weapon is a terrible idea, and yes we have seen single class legendaries, Thori'dal the Stars Fury says hi. Sorry but I think single class legendaries are a huge waste of time, especially considering how less then stellar rogues are performing in Firelands, like most other melee classes. Glad I quit this game, there is so much wrong with 4.3 that it's not even worth playing. Having to be a raider for epic gems is retarded, having a Raid Finder is stupid, a single class legendary is terrible design considering how much work will go into making a weapon for one player in a 10 man guild or maybe even none. Such a waste of creating a legendary it's not funny.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yet he still proves why the development team fails at making a bloody game. Rather then addressing the issues that melee classes have like mobility and boss up time in PvE (as well as PvP), he thinks this bandage fix is going to solve all of the world's problems when it won't.
    Actually it's a pretty elegant solution.

Also a single class legendary weapon is a terrible idea, and yes we have seen single class legendaries, Thori'dal the Stars Fury says hi.
    All the rogues who used it say hi back.

Sorry but I think single class legendaries are a huge waste of time, especially considering how less then stellar rogues are performing in Firelands, like most other melee classes.
    Yet you're opposed to increasing melee DPS.

Glad I quit this game, there is so much wrong with 4.3 that it's not even worth playing. Having to be a raider for epic gems is retarded, having a Raid Finder is stupid, a single class legendary is terrible design considering how much work will go into making a weapon for one player in a 10 man guild or maybe even none. Such a waste of creating a legendary it's not funny.
    1. Epic gems from raids worked perfectly fine in TBC, this is a slightly more elegant implementation of how things were then.
    2. The raid finder will actually be extremely successful if implemented properly (which it seems like they are). Also another solution to #1.
    3. A ton of work goes into making a weapon for one player regardless of how many classes can equip it. There are issues with the single class legendary, but none of them are what you're complaining about.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I find melee getting buffed hilarious since fury and frost had been nerfed earlier this expac for being overpowered.

The style in which the last raid is to be implemented sounds beautiful, and is my favorite aspect of this expac by far. I love how all the new zones are an interactive (albeit linear) adventure story. It gave the new zones such an epic feel. To do that for an entire raid is exciting to say the least. With the creativity that has gone into the mechanics in the boss fights thus far, i'm eager to see what further ideas get sprung upon us.

The only issue i have with whats going on right now is the timing of the content nerf and the extent of the content nerf. Too soon, and too much. Maybe its perfect for the number of bosses, and maybe my own personal summertime raid blues add a personal bias (damn you vacations, and softball leagues, and dirtbike races, and fishing trips, and 5ks, and disc golf, and beer garden keg tappings, and warrior dash, and...). The 20% nerf to t11 made those places waaaay too easy. If HM are getting that nerf now as well-- well, i just don't want HM kills that easily this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by artie View Post
    I find melee getting buffed hilarious since fury and frost had been nerfed earlier this expac for being overpowered.

The style in which the last raid is to be implemented sounds beautiful, and is my favorite aspect of this expac by far. I love how all the new zones are an interactive (albeit linear) adventure story. It gave the new zones such an epic feel. To do that for an entire raid is exciting to say the least. With the creativity that has gone into the mechanics in the boss fights thus far, i'm eager to see what further ideas get sprung upon us.

The only issue i have with whats going on right now is the timing of the content nerf and the extent of the content nerf. Too soon, and too much. Maybe its perfect for the number of bosses, and maybe my own personal summertime raid blues add a personal bias (damn you vacations, and softball leagues, and dirtbike races, and fishing trips, and 5ks, and disc golf, and beer garden keg tappings, and warrior dash, and...). The 20% nerf to t11 made those places waaaay too easy. If HM are getting that nerf now as well-- well, i just don't want HM kills that easily this soon.
    It's not about certain classes vs others, it has more to do with encounter design. You'll notice there isn't a lot of target switching or multi dot scenarios in firelands. It's mainly to keep melee in line with ranged, but it's restrictive from a design point of view.

The actually blue post stated there would be 'hotfixes over the coming weeks'. I don't think the nerfs are coming all at once but they haven't explicitly stated what they have planned. We'll find out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    It's not about certain classes vs others, it has more to do with encounter design. You'll notice there isn't a lot of target switching or multi dot scenarios in firelands. It's mainly to keep melee in line with ranged, but it's restrictive from a design point of view.
    I think the melee buff will restrict design as well, since on a normal tank and spank melee will be overpowered. Or maybe its just to compensate for every caster having a legendary??? Poor hunters...

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    1. Epic gems from raids worked perfectly fine in TBC, this is a slightly more elegant implementation of how things were then.
    2. The raid finder will actually be extremely successful if implemented properly (which it seems like they are). Also another solution to #1.
    In the Eurogamer interview TC was pretty specific that gems would not be dropping in LFR mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer Interview
    Eurogamer: Are there going to be new recipes?

Tom Chilton: There certainly are quite a few new profession recipes. We also introduce the epic gems in this patch, and they'll be available only through the normal and heroic difficulty of the Deathwing raids.
    As for the single class legendary, I have no real issues with it. A ten man raid making decent progress in DS will not have them ready by the time they come up against Deathwing heroic (a 25 man raid probably won't either), and a 25 man raid won't get more than two completed before 5.0 either, as they aren't going to go with the parallel progress model this time after what happened with Dragonwrath. The knives will end up being a trophy legendary just like Thori'dal was in TBC.

First of all grats on the interview. It's great seeing you elbowing with Gc. Bet it was a blast too. Not to mention it was amazing getting real gamer questions ask and answered and not the usual black and white blah blah of q & a. I hope more of these for you in the future.

it amazes me how so many people that have quit the game still read interviews and watch videos. and for what? to complain about it? please go back to farmville and leave the rest of us who still enjoy playing the game alone. no one wants to listen to your rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    It's not really clear, but it sounds like BH style:

"Ten Ton Hammer: So what is Deathwing’s loot table going to be like? Is he the source of the Tier 13 gear?
    Greg: One of the different things about the rewards this time around is all of the tier sets are in the raid itself. Players won’t be able to use Valor Points to buy stuff this time around, they actually need to defeat the raid bosses. That gear will drop on the first couple of bosses and, in the grand tradition of Warcraft bosses, Deathwing only drops weapons and these weapons are slightly more powerful than the rest of the raid tier in terms of item level.
    Players also have a chance to get some Epic gems out of the raid tier so they’ll be able to have some purple gems to replace the gems in their current gear."
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/174...utm_medium=rss

+ Reply to Thread