+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - The Care and Feeding of Legendaries

The Weekly Marmot - The Care and Feeding of Legendaries

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Nice title

I agree with you about increasing the solo-oriented aspects of acquiring legendaries. Seems like a nice way to avoid the problems that have occurred this time around.
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

Grats on solving the Rubik's Cube.
    Anyone got a table I can flip?

Quote Originally Posted by Krekentaur View Post
    That was clearly the stuffed unicorn...

I agree. Legendaries should not be so great that if you don't have it, you are 100% fail.
    TOO MUCH, EXECUTUS!!!

I had to stop 3/4 of the way through and do a sanity check because Lore was making sense.....
    Utter and complete sense. O_o

I'm still in a mild state of shock.........

Edit:
    Ok, in all fairness to Lore, I shouldn't pick on him. he had some damn good ideas. I agree, 10 and 25's should both be able to get legendaries, and the drop rates for pieces should never be zero. Introducing RNG into that equation takes the player out of it. Also agree, that if you remove the rng factor, you need to do something to offset it, like increase the cost.

And honestly, I'm even TOTALLY ok with it if a kick-ass 25 man guild that's clearing heroic level bosses consistently can actually "overshoot" the projection for a legendary, say in the case of Dragonwrath, 5 to 7 for their group. If you turned around and told me Paragon had been able to assemble 6 legendaries by 4.3, I'd not have the least issue with it. That SHOULD be the reward for excellence, beating expectations. The exceptional should be able to accomplish the exceptional.

But don't put things out of reach. There's a psychological theory called "learned helplessness". It basically states that animals (people) can be conditioned to respond helplessly, even when later they DO have the ability to affect an outcome. Blizzard has dangled the carrots of Val'ynir and Shadowmourne and these were unobtanium for many (though admittedly, they did improve things with Shadowmourne by making drops certain). They've improved things with Dragonwrath by opening it to 10 man and 25 man, but the drop rates were out of balance. At this point, the pattern for legendaries still points to the idea that.... hard work really may not be enough. Your odds are better IF you're in a 25 man, and even then, you'd better hope your guild REALLY likes you. If you're in a 10 man.... your odds are pretty slim, and even then, your guild better REALLY like you.

I'll admit, I'm collecting legendaries from previous expansions just because I'm a weapons whore. But collecting these, and looking at the obstacles that are in the path, I can DEFINITELY sympathize with ANYONE trying to assemble Dragonwrath. They face a big uphill battle not just against the game, but with their guild/other players. Looking back at it, they're "extra-bonus-level" items for a rather small portion of the guild population, and beyond that, a subset of players.

Blizzard has improved on things with raiding and legendaries significantly, but there's still room for improvement. The trick, I think we can all agree... is to make these not just stars in the sky for us to look at but never touch, but to put these in a position to whet our appetites even more, and make us WANT to experience the game MORE.

Last edited by Leucifer; 09-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    No one tanks in a void.........

Quote Originally Posted by Krekentaur View Post
    I was figuring he recorded the ending before he recorded the intro.

GMT=Greenwich Mean Time (pronounced Gren-itch)

and speaking of legendarys. rumors are that 4.3 will have a dagger for rogues/enhance shammy

Quote Originally Posted by ácerimmer View Post
    and speaking of legendarys. rumors are that 4.3 will have a dagger for rogues/enhance shammy
    Enhance shaman want a dagger about as much as a titan's grip warrior does.

strange that they would make a legendary for 1 specific class. All other legendaries were multi class no? (i guess the legendary bow is primarily hunter) but still.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

i wouldnt really know if shammys need it dont really play mdps but heres the link if u wanna check it http://www.wowheadnews.com/

oops just re-read it. looks like its just for rogues

Damn I had to watch the show twice, the first time I stared at the Rubik's Cube and didn't hear a word Lore said.

I just realised the Cube thing at the very end. 23.50 mins solving it, i don't think thats the World record.

Quote Originally Posted by Glatius View Post
    I just realised the Cube thing at the very end. 23.50 mins solving it, i don't think thats the World record.
    Pretty sure that's the fastest a stuffed unicorn has ever solved one.

I'm quite certain that MMO-champion is misinformed. It'd be very stupid for the 4.3 dagger to ONLY be useful for one class.
    TOO MUCH, EXECUTUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wurtane View Post
    I'm quite certain that MMO-champion is misinformed. It'd be very stupid for the 4.3 dagger to ONLY be useful for one class.
    Q: Will we see a tanking Legendary sometime soon? – Pedoso (NA)

A: The tanking community both loves and hates when this question comes up, but it received a lot of votes, so we’ll answer it. The answer is not soon, but probably eventually. The problem with tanking legendaries, of course, is that the shield-users and non-shield-users tank with different weapons. That’s not a deal breaker, but it is a consideration. We could allow the legendary to be transformed from a one-hander to two-hander or we could just design an item for a more narrow audience (such as a shield). The 4.2 legendary has fairly wide appeal, and the 4.3 legendary will have much more narrow appeal. We don’t want to fall into the trap of making legendaries too formulaic.
    From the Tank Q&A two months ago.

Also, did they not mention that there was going to be a legendary dagger in Cataclysm back when Cataclysm launched?

The 4.2 legendary has fairly wide appeal, and the 4.3 legendary will have much more narrow appeal.

narrow compared to what? compared to the appeal of 4.2 or "much more narrow" in general? most rogues that i know switched from muti to combat because gone are the days of the tank and spank. a dagger wouldnt just narrow it down to one class, but also one spec. thats about as narrow as you can get.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Assassination the only spec in the game who has never had a legendary, ever? No, I guess ferals got screwed too.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

+ Reply to Thread