+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time Travel and the Dragon Soul

Time Travel and the Dragon Soul

So, after reading the previews for the new 5 mans and raid, and the story that goes along with it, I am... confused.

There's this quote here from the Well of Eternity 5 man preview:

The task at hand requires nothing short of total success. In order for Thrall and the Dragon Aspects to rally heroes of the Horde and Alliance to defeat Deathwing, you must steal the Dragon Soul from the distant past. However, the tragic events which took place at the Well of Eternity must ultimately come to pass, leading to the Great Sundering, the creation of the Maelstrom, and the loss of countless lives.
    From my understanding, if we steal the Dragon Soul from the past, then Neltharion (Deathwing) would have never had it in the first place, and thus never have become as powerful as he is in the present. Of course, I'm sure time in this particular world could work in its own way of course, but I just had to point out my confusion.

Edit: My lore was all mixed up. I was wrong in the timeline of when Deathwing became powerful enough to break open. I realized this below.
    Last edited by Pers3us; 09-20-2011 at 01:58 AM.
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

Quote Originally Posted by Pers3us View Post
    From my understanding, if we steal the Dragon Soul from the past, then Neltharion (Deathwing) would have never had it in the first place, and thus never have become as powerful as he is in the present. Of course, I'm sure time in this particular world could work in its own way of course, but I just had to point out my confusion.
    You can travel through time - Nozzie could have you put it back ten seconds after you stole it.

Then again, the dragon soul should allow people to travel in time too, and since you can put it back, you can essentially have two... or three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Nozdormu is the guardian of time for a reason -- he basically says he'll take care of it.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Taelas View Post
    Nozdormu is the guardian of time for a reason -- he basically says he'll take care of it.
    It seems like he would be breaking his rule though. Altering an event (in this case stealing the Dragon Soul) to change the outcome of an event that would happen, which would be Deathwing destroying Azeroth. Of course, the dragons aspects were also given the task to protect the inhabitants of Azeroth, which I would assume would come first, but still...

I always thought they would have an expansion that would be very related to the Bronze Dragonflight and the Infinite Dragonflight, and perhaps this could be hinting at it if you think about it a certain way. The start of Nozdormu's altering of events, and thus turning into the leader of the Infinite later down the road. Of course, this is all speculation.

My mind is still exploding.
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

You missed the last sentence:

"However, the tragic events which took place at the Well of Eternity must ultimately come to pass, leading to the Great Sundering, the creation of the Maelstrom, and the loss of countless lives."

Who knows, maybe you get to travel back and drop the Dragon Soul into the Well, nudge Neltharion along to make sure he gets it.

The "No altering events' rule goes out the window with the first preview on the "End Time" instance - how do you alter an event when an infinite outcome of said event already exist?

Quote Originally Posted by kasanagi View Post
    You missed the last sentence:

"However, the tragic events which took place at the Well of Eternity must ultimately come to pass, leading to the Great Sundering, the creation of the Maelstrom, and the loss of countless lives."

Who knows, maybe you get to travel back and drop the Dragon Soul into the Well, nudge Neltharion along to make sure he gets it.

The "No altering events' rule goes out the window with the first preview on the "End Time" instance - how do you alter an event when an infinite outcome of said event already exist?
    I read that part of the quote, but taking the Dragon Soul is still technically altering an event even though that event is in the present. I understand that Azeroth would be destroyed, but I'm just pointing out that it's still breaking his rule. That makes it more mind boggling even. If you need the sundering to happen to make sure that Azeroth is in the same basic shape that it is now, then stealing the Dragon Soul would definitely mean Deathwing would not be in his current powerful form when we go back to present day. Eh... even if we do ignore the problem of the Dragon Soul not technically being there for Deathwing to get unless we put it back after, there's still something that can come out of this.

This will change the course of time from a future of a destroyed Azeroth, but that's just the beginning. The Infinite Dragonflight is always trying to alter events in the past for the "greater good" of Azeroth. Nozdormu is currently going to alter an event for the first time for the "greater good" of Azeroth, which leads me to believe that this is the beginning of the fall of Nozdormu into the leader of the Infinite. Like I said, this is all speculation, but it's there. When does a vision of helping the world live turn against you when you have control of time?

Edit: So... after checking again. It would appear that I was wrong to begin with. I love timelines confused somehow. Obviously, Deathwing already had the Dragon Soul to begin with, seeing as how he made it. He already became all cracked before Malfurion took it and "hid" it. This means it all makes sense now. No one knew where it was hidden, and Thrall taking it through time could be where it was this entire time. However, the whole thing about Nozdorumu altering events is still on the table.
    Last edited by Pers3us; 09-20-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Definately think Nozzy being the Infinite Dragon Leader is a good possibility. After all, the CoT instances have no real time line, so it doesn't matter when he goes rogue as long as the idea of the instances sticks.

Hell, you could even go as far as saying that the previous CoTs are to help Deathwing become stronger over time to compensate the Dragon Soul theft/borrow in some absurd way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Only by destroying a mysterious dragon known as Murozond will you give Azeroth's protectors the opportunity to avoid the potential outcome to which your eyes bear witness.
    dragon known as Murozond
    Murozond
    Anagram status for Nozdormu. They're trolling me I swear.

Oh... possible spoilers?

Everyone knows if you travel back in time and change something you in fact have created a new plan of exsistance that differs from the first from that point forward. The other reality, your original, continues on its own path seperated from you forever. Along the path in your history as you remember it.Now trust me the only reason I know anything like that is the internet. It has to be true?

Time Travel and the Dragon Soul

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Everyone knows if you travel back in time and change something you in fact have created a new plan of exsistance that differs from the first from that point forward. The other reality, your original, continues on its own path seperated from you forever. Along the path in your history as you remember it.Now trust me the only reason I know anything like that is the internet. It has to be true?
    He is the master of time as in he can stop, start etc. So effectively he could put it back at the same time we take it so the events of the past would remain unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Pers3us View Post
    Murozond
    Anagram status for Nozdormu. They're trolling me I swear.

Oh... possible spoilers?
    Thats actually one of the first things I thought of when I saw the dragon. edit: In the latest Thrall novel, Nozdormu confirms that he is/will be the leader of the Infinite Dragonflight.
    Last edited by Outbackjack; 09-20-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

It's like the Terminator movies, you can think too much about the whole time travel thing.

That's the part that gets me.

If we can "cheat" to stop Deathwing this time...why couldn't they "cheat" to stop the Sundering back then? Silly Bronzes.

I'm actually really excited for these instances. the whole infinite/bronze dragonflight has always interested me.

There are several very interesting things happen:
    -In dragonblight you are sent to the bronze dragonshrine to find the 'leader' of the infinite dragonflight yet all you find is nozdormu
    -In mount hyjal one bronze drake says, "Do you think the rumors about the Infinite Dragonflight are true? I've sensed it...the familiarity."
    -In CoT if you fail the time requirement you can watch a bronze drake become and infinite one.
    -He applogizes to Korialstrasz that his fate is unchangeable. This orginally sounds like his death, but in light of the mystery of the infinite quest, and the new book it seems otherwise.

There is soooo many lose ends. Like 2007 children's week:
    Others have hypothesized the far-future involvement of the orphan blood elf Salandria and draenei orphan Dornaa. During the first TBC Children's Week event in 2007, players were able to adopt either Salandria or Dornaa (according to their faction) in Shattrath City. One of the places each child wished to see was the Caverns of Time, in the quest Time to Visit the Caverns (A, H), where the guards of the Bronze Dragonflight attempted to attack them. The Bronze dragon in the center of the room stopped them, saying they "will not be held accountable" for future actions not yet committed. Upon completing the quest, Dornaa joyfully wished to be friends with a dragon, while Salandria said she planned to own one.

TLDR

Very excited.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Yeah honestly it was just something I heard on the History Channel on that show "The Universe" one night at about 3-4am. But these dragons have been time traveling with a pretty good track record since BC. I just give them credit in their methods. Even as mysterious as they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    That's the part that gets me.

If we can "cheat" to stop Deathwing this time...why couldn't they "cheat" to stop the Sundering back then? Silly Bronzes.
    The story for these instances just happens to be in the chain of events that led to people going back in time to stop Deathwing in the future. Somewhere in those infinite outcomes, someone stopped the Sundering, someone else stopped the sundering after traveling back in time, someone didn't stop the Sundering but the portal malfunction and Sageras came out of that portal as a sperm whale. Don't think too hard on these.

Murozond...VERY EXCITED. I don't think I've looked forward to WoW lore in a long time.

+ Reply to Thread