+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are Holy Priests Obsolete?

Are the changes made in the current PTR patch going to make H-Priests as viable as discs? It may depend on your raid size and healing team members. When I was raiding as holy, I enjoyed it but I did not have the "heal harder" button when I needed so I went to disc. Disc in our team of druid, paladin, disc for 10-man was more idea. Obviously the CD was good, but shields+druid hots were just better. I could shield an individual or group with my semi-weak aoe heal, the druid could HoT the group with their AoE heal or rejuv and top them off. When I was healing as holy, the druid and I would AoE heal a group and it would effectively over heal.

Are Holy Priests Obsolete?

Call me dumb or ignorant, but my motto of healing is this:

Don't let anybody DIE

That's the whole purpose of healing, isn't it? I can do 2k hps (i know that's bull) for all people care, so long as they don't die cuz lack of healing. Don't see the numbers, they may say that u provide poor contribution to healing, but u may never know, u're gonna save tons of lives on their brink of death. (lightwell, SoF, GS and serendipity ftw)

I have an 85 priest and I leveled her as holy and stayed holy for a bit before I made the decision to go disc. I had a lot more fun playing holy than I did disc.

I recently started raiding on my priest, this week I ended up filling a healer spot in another guild's run. They already had a priest and what I found is that a holy and disc priest work really well together. I think it's all dependent on your raid composition. So I wouldn't say that they are obsolete.

Disc priests are so common right now and it's hard to make healing work effectively with two of them in a raid, so sometimes it's best to have a holy priest when nobody else is playing them. They bring along some cooldowns that disc priests don't have.

I dont heal very much on my priest, but lately I switched from Disc to Holy. I dont have alot to say on the subject because Im nowhere near an expert, but to me, holy feels clunky to use, the heals seem very weak and the mastery sucks. Seriously, a renew tick can overwrite a tick from GH? Seriously? Why cant they stack together or let the strongest tick continue till it falls off, then goto the smaller tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Prucilak View Post
    I dont heal very much on my priest, but lately I switched from Disc to Holy. I dont have alot to say on the subject because Im nowhere near an expert, but to me, holy feels clunky to use, the heals seem very weak and the mastery sucks. Seriously, a renew tick can overwrite a tick from GH? Seriously? Why cant they stack together or let the strongest tick continue till it falls off, then goto the smaller tick.
    Not sure why this thread is back up to start with...

But you are incredibly incorrect with how Holy Mastery works. Smaller heals don't overwrite it

Here is the best description I could find of it:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-does-it-work

When I was testing it the smaller tick would take over. *Shrug*

Either way, Im back to disc.

(The guy above me ressed the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Prucilak View Post
    When I was testing it the smaller tick would take over. *Shrug*

Either way, Im back to disc.

(The guy above me ressed the thread)
    Yes, it was smaller because the amount of healing you were adding to the Echoes of Light was smaller and it had decayed. Thus the pool of healing the Echo is derived from was smaller. It wasn't overwritten, there was just less pooled healing. It decays unless you add healing of an equal or greater amount as the original heal.

World of Logs (WoL) has the top 200 Healers from each class and spec for both 10 and 25 man. It is impossible to not be able to find many Holy Priests. Just goto www.worldoflogs.com, then click on Rankings->Healers>Dragon Soul(or desired raid). Click "more" on the bottom of the fight you want to see, then you can click on any class/spec you desire. You will find the top 200 Holy Priests there.

I wouldn't say they are. I play a holy priest as my main and in 10 man normal's and in LFR I am consistently top of the charts.

Look at the thread date folks. Was made a very long time ago and alot has changed since.

I think that any raiding priest who is pushing progression will min/max and that also means changing specs and gear for the fight. Holy is better for some fights and disc is better for others. I play a resto shaman and i would kill to have 2 healing specs like priest have.

Unless you are in a top 50 world guild, there is not much difference between Holy & Disc priests. It is much more important to play one of the specs at a high level then try min/max'ing by switching specs. Even on H Spine, which makes it hard to heal as a Disc b/c you do not get credit for your absorbs on the healing debuff, you better off staying Disc and getting assigned to tanks. The other problem, of course, is as Disc you want Int & Int/Mastery gems and you want to reforge to Mastery, and as Holy you want Haste instead. With epic gems, there is just no way you can afford that and if you are not doing that, you are not min/maxing.

With MoP adding Monks to the healing bunch, trust me when I tell you don't want a 2nd healing spec as a shammy. As a 4+ year raiding Disc priest, trust me when I tell you there no way I can heal a fight as good Holy as I can Disc, even if the fight favors Holy.

The only difference that matters is that Disc has Pain Suppression (-damage taken) and Holy (cheat death+increased healing). If you need PS for a boss (madness heroic comes to mind) then you'll need to be Disc, obviously.

i used holy for heroic spine, healed it with a resto sham and a holy pally. Body and soul helped the tank that was kiting the bloods get around a lot easier and the 3 min divine hymms helped out a lot on the rolls when there was a lot of aoe damage it kept everyone at 100% whilst my holy pally was dispelling (on rolls) as i was channeling. it worked out well but that wasnt a progression raid and 7/10 players had already done heroic spine but it was my first time healing it and we got it down within 3 attempts would of been 2 but some idiot rolled the boss when the last plate was going down LOL not sure who was funny tho.

also i use disc on madness heroic the PS helps my tank survive the first impale on the 3rd platform and without it i dont think we could do it =/. also the barrier helps on p2 for the last 5% or so. but i suppose it could be done differently and i could heal it with holy aswell and prob do it better if i get the ret pally to Hand of salvation the tank instead i could swap out to holy to heal madness i think, i would say they are both equal specs (dont get buthurt its only my opinion) and i like them both just as much tbh both great specs for different fights (althought holy mastery and heavenly voice talent OVERHEAL by so much >.<) thats the only pain i had with holy on spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oring View Post
    Unless you are in a top 50 world guild, there is not much difference between Holy & Disc priests. It is much more important to play one of the specs at a high level then try min/max'ing by switching specs. Even on H Spine, which makes it hard to heal as a Disc b/c you do not get credit for your absorbs on the healing debuff, you better off staying Disc and getting assigned to tanks. The other problem, of course, is as Disc you want Int & Int/Mastery gems and you want to reforge to Mastery, and as Holy you want Haste instead. With epic gems, there is just no way you can afford that and if you are not doing that, you are not min/maxing.

With MoP adding Monks to the healing bunch, trust me when I tell you don't want a 2nd healing spec as a shammy. As a 4+ year raiding Disc priest, trust me when I tell you there no way I can heal a fight as good Holy as I can Disc, even if the fight favors Holy.
    Actually, what you claim for reforging priorities is not correct, or at least not in the terms that you are implying.

Every healer should be prioritizing Int, so that is moot. For secondaries, Disc utilizing PW:S for more than 30% of their Healing Done should be prioritizing Mastery, in general. The more you use PW:S, the more valuable Mastery is. However, there are a number of encounters that can be handled competitively with Disc using a Haste focus, and in a number of these encounters, it can easily outshine Mastery.

Holy, likewise, can prioritize Haste or Mastery. Mastery can be utilized to amazing effect, as can Haste.

Learning to play both specs is something any good healing priest should be doing. There will occasionally just be some fights that are so in favor of one spec, the skill you have with your favored spec can't compensate. This is especially true when the content is new.

+ Reply to Thread