+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Members and Guild Repairs

New Members and Guild Repairs

What do you guys do when it comes to guild repairs for new members?

I don't run the guild I'm in, but recently convinced a few of my friends to start new on the same server and invited them to the guild. They were all about lvl 18-22 when they decided to leave because they didn't have guild repairs. They were in the guild for a week. They started their own guild last night, too.

The rule my GM has for the guild that after a week of steady guild participation you get promoted to member, which gives you like a 75g repair. I told my friends this and they said it was still unfair to have to wait a week to get repairs.

IMO, it doesn't got that much to repair at low lvls, especially when you don't have great gear. Plus, if you're lvling your professions like they all said they were, they would have had more gold. Right?

I dunno, I'd like everyone's opinion on this.

Eh...I don't really have a perspective on low-level...I honestly don't think I've repaired any gear while leveling since maybe TBC, my money or otherwise.

However, if it's just a guild w/your friends it does seem a little harsh to not just have the whole thing open for them...my own guild started that way, and all the original members have full access to everything, the new people are a bit more limited, but full-time raiders are pretty close to the same...more casual members don't get much of anything, but they're pretty casual so they don't really care.

I played from May 2009 to something like April 2011 without access to guild repairs, and now I just use it for raid night repairs. If you're going to leave a guild over repairs... o_O seriously? Unless you use the guild bank as your private bank - I don't really see an issue.

But if you've got the gold sitting there, I'll go with Ion, why not.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I agree with all of that. I think that even for raw new members that having some sort of repair bill would be nice even if it was limited. But you should still be acquiring your own gold on your own and not ragequit because you aren't getting it, especially when you get evaluated after a week on your guild involvement.

But like I said, they were my friends. No one else knew them, thus them having to pretty much earn their membership to the guild. There's an applicant rank for that reason, but you only sit there for a week.

The sad thing is I gave everyone 100g out of my own pocket to get them going. Everyone offered their profession help when they needed glyphs or gear made. I'm guessing that 100g was blown on over priced AH stuff.

I remember when I started WoW fresh, my friend gave me 30s. He said "That's more than enough to get you going."

Hmm... I farmed copper in Elywnn forest for 30 minutes before work to finance myself up to 80...
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I think its less a question of guild repairs and more a question of attitude. A week isn't a long time.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

my guild only gives guild repairs to officers and raiders and only on raid nights. its so easy to make gold these days at all levels im not sure how people cud get so upset about guild repairs

Just my point, Logan. They probably weren't looting everything like low lvls should.

They also begged for bigger bags, in which I replied "I just gave you 100g. Go buy a Netherweave bag for 12g." They didn't like that response much.

I think people get used to having their main and their alt on one server, which makes it a whole lot easier to lvl. When I joined the guild, I was lvl 85 running heroics and dying left and right, and they didn't have guild repair for members at that time. Needless to say I probably spent a good 300g a night on repairs until I got promoted to raider status. It sucked, but I didn't run the show and everyone has their own rules.

And Woody is right: gold is way too easy to make nowadays, and it costs next to nothing to repair at that low of lvl. I'm not too sure, but I'm pretty sure I lost a couple friends because of this. Oh well.

---

Oh another thought, our guild is progressing fairly well while my friends' guild is still struggling trying to down Nef. The day they quit we were all raiding and having a good time doing it - That's when the drama started. I'm also kind of thinking that they're sore we have a good group of raiders that are progressing and that might have hit a soft spot. I dunnoooo....

Quote Originally Posted by Rystrave View Post
    I'm not too sure, but I'm pretty sure I lost a couple friends because of this. Oh well.
    If that's the case, they weren't very good friends to begin with. It sounds like they were just taking advantage of yr generosity and when you weren't being overly generous anymore, they decided you weren't worth the time anymore.

Just focus on who is currently in your guild and participating in the guild. These guys sound like 12yr old jerks that just aren't worth your time. Pay attention to the people who aren't jerks and are worth your time. Your game play will be much more rewarding when you do.

There are 2 guild perks that directly effect the finances of leveling players. cash flow and reinforce. yes there are others but these two are relevant to the OP's questions. if your leveling and you loot 100g (as an example) the guild gets an extra 5/10%. if an individuals daily repair budget is 50g (as an example again) then the payer needs to generate 500g (at 10%) every day he plays to equal the perks bonus. Anything over that benefits the guild's coffers. So the question isn't should a player have access to guild funds for repairs, but how much are you requiring/estimating his/hers grinding efforts. and Reinforce saves money. quite a bit for levelers and raiders.

Guild resources should be for the benifite of the guild as a whole. Personal piggy bank mentalities are nothing new (there are people in prison IRL for that sort of thing). but a strong guild bank money building mentality is a sign of a well run guild.

as for 12yr old jerks, welcome to wow. But Pirika is absolutely correct. find a place that has fewer, and go there.

Anyone who demands their guild to pay repairs is a scumbag and should be removed anyway. Guild repairs for progression guilds can be good as well as free enchants and crap like that, but especially for a low level guild, you're only housing moochers if you let them do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

^Moochers

We really only had about 2 people who would actively bitch if they weren't getting guild repairs all the time (raiders had open repairs up to like 200g a week after raid) on all their toons; strange they also happened to be the biggest loot whores. Those same two people were always the first to ask for food and cauldrons in raid and were never prepared for those wipefests where we just want to keep pulling and not worry about sending people back to the AH to get supplies.

If your guild has the cash flow to support open repairs for all, then fine, but if not then don't be generous for the sake of the complainers. They will take the most and contribute the least, then leave in a heartbeat when something doesn't go their way. The also tend to be the drama queens of the guild.

I had one of my officers gquit when I disabled them in Wrath. Logged in, saw she couldn't repair, gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

everyone invited to my guild spends the first week at the noob rank with no repairs and no bank access. it's just to prevent guild hoppers from joining to see what they can pinch and then leave.

tbh, if someone is so impatient/narcissistic that a week is too long for them to wait because they want MAH REPAIRS RIGHT NAO, then they wouldn't be a good fit with us anyway.

after a week, every rank has some amount of repairs; the lowest is 50g for socials, up to 300g for officers/raiders.

i've never, ever had anyone complain about this policy. if anyone asked, i'd just offer to refund their repair costs after the week is up, especially if they were working on progression with us.

My guild is now 3 years old and we don't have guild repairs on at all normally. Guild repairs is something for raiders only and even they only get it during progression bosses. I am the GM of my guild and that is the model I have stuck with and so far nobody really complains about it.

I only turn guild repairs on while we are progressing on new bosses and that is to reward people for taking the time to work on a new boss which as we all know can take some time. After the boss is dead for the first time guild repairs get turned off for that boss until heroic mode.

+ Reply to Thread