+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 20 fire resist or 250 armor

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    And they got rid of ArP because that was too mathy... thats 1st grade math compared to this XD

That makes sense - I still can't fully see how it works, but I understand it - if that makes any sense. Thanks
    They also do not intend to introduce a resist check boss like Sapphiron or Mother Shahraz so that this would become an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    They also do not intend to introduce a resist check boss like Sapphiron or Mother Shahraz so that this would become an issue
    For those who don't remember:

Mother Sharazrazaz:
    Phase 1 of this fight is 2-3 weeks long and involves farming trash for heart of darknesses. Phase 2 of this fight is 1 week long and involves attuning a leatherworker to Black temple so that you can craft leather Shadow Resist Gear. Phase 3 of this Fight has been Intentionally Left Blank. Phase 4 of this fight requires players to equip their shadow resist gear and turn their spell detail level all the way down. Phase 5: ????? Phase 6: Profit
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

so from what i understand its like this

If your under the breakpoint of a 5% marker your gain is like this example

if you have 290 resistance and you get attacked your range will be 10-14 percent off a magic attack then if you go to 300 its 10-14.5 percent off a magic attack but if you get to 311 its 15 percent minimum every time. so having 320 is 15-15.3 or so. obviously the math is just for an example but that's how I think it works.
    "The greatest snowball isn't a snowball at all, it's fear"

At 290 you can get resists from 10% to ... I think around 30% max
    As you get more (300) it's a lower chance on 10% and say a very small chance on 35%
    At 311 you will no longer get 10%, but always atleast 15% and a slightly higher chance to resist 35%
    Goes on untill you hit the res cap, at which point you resist an average of 75%, with resists ranging from 60% to 90% (iirc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

At a Cr of 724 for lvl88 spells, you get following table:
    Min reduction > resistance required
    5% > 181
    10% > 242
    15% > 311
    20% > 390
    25% > 483
    30% > 593
    35% > 724
    40% > 885
    45% > 1086
    50% > 1345
    55% > 1690
    60% > 2172 (=75% average cap)
    All rounded up to nearest integerer)
    And the 5% break points are purely empirical?

EDIT: I guess my question is: when did this change from the 10% steps we saw in wrath?
    Last edited by Booi; 09-18-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    "I'll smash you and melt away Coolmint Island!"

I thought there were 5% breakpoint, but I could be wrong, honestly don't look at my resists a lot, just happy about them, but if it's still per 10%, then they are empirical (and only 242 & 390 res caps actually matter), but hey, they're there just in case they changed it to 5%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I thought that, like armor, more resistance always reduced your magical armor taken.
    Sure, the actual numbers are always in 5% increments, but the average goes up - each point of resistance makes that lowest number less likely and the highest number more likely. Once your lowest number drops off, you add a new higher number.

And if that's the case, then more resistance is always good, and the breakpoints mean next to nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    I thought that, like armor, more resistance always reduced your magical armor taken.
    Sure, the actual numbers are always in 5% increments, but the average goes up - each point of resistance makes that lowest number less likely and the highest number more likely. Once your lowest number drops off, you add a new higher number.

And if that's the case, then more resistance is always good, and the breakpoints mean next to nothing.
    Right, the reason a lot of tanks look at the tiers is because they use resistance to combat burst style abilities. Meaning that they're looking at guaranteed reduction.

In the case of burning wound, where you're resisting over the course of an entire fight: Average resistance makes a lot more sense than the guaranteed reduction. Especially since the TB trinket is up for every magma trap.
    "I'll smash you and melt away Coolmint Island!"

I was wondering how often the 20 extra resistance would bump you up 1 tier. The 'next' column lists how much resistance is needed to get into the next tier. Blue marked values are under 20. At 88 it's only when special CD's are used.

Interesting to see is that using an elixir seldom has effect on your tier, though it does bump you 1 tier when only res-aura is up, and that should be most of the times.

Last edited by lemaneth; 10-16-2011 at 10:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread