+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing with a new UI cause I can..

Playing with a new UI cause I can..

So as some of you may know, I've plunged back into WoW. The thing is this though: I'm going so casual it isn't even funny. As such, i decided to make a nice looking, sleek and gorgeous UI that I will enjoy.

Note: Minimalists may not like this at all. This is purely aesthetics and that's all. So without further adieu..here you go.

WoWScrnShot_091111_121939.jpg

This was made for 1900x1200 and has a slew of stuff honestly. If there is any interest, I'll list them but I just thought I'd share it cause I spent nearly 3 hours on this sucker.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Frosty
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

use a viewport mod to slim out the areas of what the game's rendering that are completely covered, will give you more viewing area
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

My first comment was going to be that you are view porting away a lot of your screen (acknowledges lore comment). Which I play on the same definition and even if you don't view port (to keep defination) you really can lose half your screen to addons and not notice.

I really like the ice. But I feel more ice, Having your entire lower section be backgrounded by ice would look pretty sick. Also the lower ice leaves you with a whole in your UI. I know this is because you just used the same ice as on top (and works beautifully) with your map.

TL;DR I like it alot, the only thing I would change is more ice.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

viewport does not reduce viewing area, if anything it expands it

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    viewport does not reduce viewing area, if anything it expands it
    I'm aware of this fact. Just that viewports kinda feel like blinders to me, I like seeing the game world behind/past my UI (I set most of my bars, recount, omen, to be partially transparent). I used skinner from 3.3 until 4.1 and when 4.1 wiped out my settings I realized that I really didn't like it.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Take 2: I was playing in a dungeon and saw a few glitches here and there. Also the Viewport was hiding a lot more than I liked and as Lore suggested, I fiddled around a bit with the ports.

1) the top port could have been shrunk but in the end it looked kinda stupid; I removed it. Gave me more room and although it doesn't look as badass, it adds functionality.

2) DBM was popping all over the place which was a lil annoying; had to play with that

3) The stupid pvp frame was appearing constantly under the mini-map so I got really tired of that and killed it. Also moved the minimap over to the bottom so it looked better and I used the circle in the ice.

4) Minimized my CLCDK to the essentials: diseases and Priority system. The trackers were nice but not the most functional when I was trying to minimize the size; they became awfully obsolete. I'm debating getting an addon that'll scream at me and say 'Hey look, your skill is back!' without destroying too much of the look.

5) Shrunk the bars down to around 75%. The reason is so I could shrink the viewport below to get more room as well. Viewports are great fun things to have to add spice to your UI but I find that if you keep em too big, you lose a lot of space.

6) Shrunk bags into one bag which saved some space as well.

The results:

WoWScrnShot_091111_162011.jpg
    Attached Images

Tankspot Moderator

I really like it. The only change is make the minimap square.

@lore between the two screen shots you can see it isn't a view port addon just a frame. So it is taking away from the total space you can view.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/sunn-viewport-art.aspx

i
    t's a viewport. Just has frames added in there. The viewport is behind the frame. The frame is just bigger than the viewport.

Tankspot Moderator

Alright. I just assumed since you gained like more view area by removing it :$

I did. What I 'could' do is just put a top frame viewfinder that's black and give me more room. That's an option. I wouldn't put any design on it but then I'd have a big black bar on top for no reason and that would annoy me...or would it...imma go test it.

Take 3:

1) Put the viewport at the top, no graphics, solid black.

2) Reduced the size of the buff/debuff icons, made it that left (buffs) go left to right and right (debuffs) go right to left as they come along.

Came out with something a bit nicer:

WoWScrnShot_091111_164932.jpg

Question: Would putting left and right frames give me more to see? Or should I just leave the left and right the way it is?
    Last edited by Krenian; 09-11-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Tankspot Moderator

looks fine how it is imo

what i did with buffs/debuffs is actually made buffs really small so they're only there if i really want to look at them, set up power auras for some of the more important ones (ie: i'm missing kings/mark, an icon pops up that says so), and made the debuffs pretty big and to the side as well

Yeah, the next test will prolly be tonight "if" I join them to raid.

May have to do more touch ups then. But yeah, final version is the last picture.

Tankspot Moderator

NECRO!!! Anyway, the way your ice thing's set up I agree that a square map (Mappy rather than Sexymap) would look incredible. Otherwise it looks amazing! I basically use SpartanUI, Sexymap, Bartender4, Grid, and IceHUD to make my screen purdy. Had my brother drooling about getting back into WoW when he stopped by earlier.

Mappy huh? Something to look at when I wanna get creative and fix things.

Tankspot Moderator

+ Reply to Thread