+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maximising Tide/Hymn regen

Maximising Tide/Hymn regen

My guild's progressing into heroics and mana is getting tighter each fight and our previous idea of 'pop it when you got it' isn't really cutting it. So my question how do we effectively use Tides and Hymns to their fullest. My initial concern is if stacking Mana Tides will yield higher regen, and how and when should we utilise our Hymns, its pretty obvious using more than 1 Hymn at the same time gives better regen due to %, but with the risk of them affecting DPS i'm not certain when to use them. Our raid make up can consist of 1-3 Shamans, aswell as anywhere from 1-4 priests, both holy/disc and shadow.

One rotation i was thinking of using was popping the Manatides together about 30 seconds into the fight when most of us are floating around 80/90% mana, then after 3 mins popping them together along with 2 Hymns due to the increase effectiveness of spir with high mana pools (or something?). Then after another 3 minutes popping the remaining Hymns alongside the Tides. Without testing this seems the best i can think of but the idea of the hymns hitting arcane mages or something dumb seems like it could go wrong. Aswell as actually waiting 3 minutes to pop the first hymn pretty much guarantees its not gonna be off cooldown within the same fight.

If anyone has pretty solid advice or just an example of how guilds deep into heroic progression are utilizing these id be pretty greatful to hear from you.

Tide only scales with Spirit (non-buff) and Intellect (in a <1 exponential rate, so basicly 'Diminishing Returns')
    I believe Hymn also scales with just Intellect/mana pool?

I would say your best strategy is to have your Shamans use Tides together with any +Intellect On Use trinket about 1min into the fight. Around 1min to 2min later (depending on the trinket CDs) pop Hymns, then use either of them on the cooldown, as you'll want to maximize uptime over trinket combinations.
    Ideally you have 1min30 CD trinket with Intellect (or Spirit) to line up perfectly with the CDs, if not, I would say the Engineering Glove tinker (480 Int 10s every min) is the best to combine with CDs.

But honestly this is a LOT of micro management to get a wee bit extra mana out of them, I think just using them as soon as you can get the full effect (and then on CD) is probably the best you could get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I agree with Airo.. tho Priests also have the Shadowfiend, which should always be used in conjunction with Tide or Hymn. The return is about 25%-35% more than if they use them separately. Most classes have some kind of CD they can use.. it should be specific to that person. Just because you pop your Tide or Hymn, does NOT mean the healers are going to regen mana. They target the lowest within the mana pool. Within the first 1min of combat, I can almost guarantee that it will be giving mana to your ranged DPS, not your healers.

In my own group, we pop our regen CDs when all 3 healers (yes, I run 10m) are around 20%.. as usually, we're the lowest percent at that point. They would not be popped consecutively, with the same application.. the new CD would hit the lowest mana holders, which after the first CD is popped.. will no longer be the healers if everything went as planned. The healers have to keep up good communication and work together so that the various CDs can work to their advantage.

Overall, it's a really harsh call. It's all dependent on healers communicating with each other, as well as the people who have the CDs in question.

MTT is a group totem, not lowest mana pool and casters don't get any mana from it, so you can always max those out in the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    MTT is a group totem, not lowest mana pool and casters don't get any mana from it, so you can always max those out in the start.
    Okay, yes, MTT isn't lowest mana pool, my bad.. I just recently started playing a resto shaman. However, it does benefit casters.. that's a bizarre statement to make.

It only benefits Elemental Shamans, Balance Druids and (possibly) Shadow Priests and only if they aren't hitcapped.
    I guess it's sorta useful on Chimearon's Feud, but other than that, Spirit is not really useful for DPS casters.

PS: Holy Priests get the most of this totem because of their increased Spirit regen

In a lot of cases its more a matter of getting that one extra use of the ability based on good timing rather than simply stacking its benefit with a proc. Not saying you shouldn't try and stack it for when your Intellect is increased, you definately should, but if you are doing say an eight minute fight it is more benefitial to use Mana Tide Totem three times than it is to use it twice stacked with an Intellect buff. Really where you will end up getting the greatest benefit out of it is proper understanding of when is the soonest it make sense to use it which requires a good understanding of the encounter and the rate of mana consumption of yourself and your other healers.

When you use it is in many cases more important than how you use it.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread