+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back to tanking

Back to tanking

Hello,

Been reading the posts and discussions here in the forums, about reforging and enchanting and what stats we "warriors" should have as tanks. Really some helped me and some just repeating the same thing.

I only got a warrior character since almost three years, never enjoyed playing anything else.
    Been tanking since the start, but in the last lets say, 5 months i was dpsing since that was the need in my guild, got good gear for tanking too.

what i found out in tanking raids and hc difficulty that, okay we as warriors; our block rating should be high, so we block as much as we can from melee hits (30% reduces the damage without critically block) and parry/dodge should be good too, but what i also found out that we also need stamina a bit, since bosses also hit with magic and spells etc etc etc..
    I am not big fan of statistics nor studies, i spent around 10k gold resspeccing and reforging and trying in-the field difference and found out that block is imba (mastery) parry should be higher than dodge (talent) but not that much since dodge is nice too, but here is my opinion after talking to my healers and comparing with my other warrior tank:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

- My current stats are : 13.36% dodge , 15.15% parry , 50.66% block 180k hp unbuffed
    Got Tb mastery trinket too (mirror of broken images) for adds and some bosses fight (for resistance)
    - On bosses fights, since not all bosses hit melee hits 24/7 we need stamina so the healers don't get tensed a lot, sometimes i am saved from a spell/magic hit and left with 5k hp! so stamina also matters here specially in hc mode raids. so if i went all the way in gemming and enchanting into mastery and that MAGIC/SPELL hit from the boss, i would have died, so stamina after you reach 50% block and 75% ++ in dodge+parry+block is good thing.
    - In adds fight or bosses that mostly hit with melee, i equip the TB mastery trinket so i block more often, but they are few to have such bosses.
    - Parry and dodge
    Hold the line talent is good, so we need parry more dodge, but never forget that dodge also good, lots of times saved me from dying, so here how i manage them : i keep reforging and gemming parry till the increase of the % in parry starts to increase slightly and almost no difference than b4, then i go for dodge till it starts increasing slightly then after back to parry and so on. both stats are good, but parry is better for warriors.
    - As i read in the posts regarding tanking talents, Gag Order is more fun and better if u don't tank raids or bosses mainly, but if u tank instances it is good , how ever, next time i will log in, i will go for Incite instead of it, since its better for bosses, i will keep thunderstruck since i like to harass the other tank in aggro while we make our way to bosses and fighting adds DD,, but deep wounds talent is really good choice as it makes bigger threat and dps both on adds and boss.

Last point, warrior class is the most class that we will never find a final or one way of playing, it depends on how you play your warrior, but somethings all agree on like having atleast 50% block, parry/dodge/block reach atleast 75%. and the rest ( rotation/talents/glyphs) mostly depends on how you play..

Remember that this is only an opinion, might be wrong and might be right, and i am always open for suggestions and other opinions from my fellow warriors DDD,
    Cheers all

- Gag order was nice in regular heroics but its fairly useless in ZA/ZG, who is doing regular heroics now anyways?
    - Mastery>Stamina, I'm in a bit better gear then you (13% dodge 15,7% parry 62% block 174k unbuffed with 4p T12) but if you die to spike damage you're slacking with debuffs/cds or the healers are slacking. There always is a minimum amount of stamina you want but 180k hp is too much if you're progressing on domo normal 7% extra block is way better then extra 15k stamina. Only boss where i would consider double stamina trinkets this Tier is Shannox, but even there its not needed.
    - You should be aiming for 96,4% CTC with 4p T12 or 102,4% CTC, aiming for 77,4% CTC and then going for stamina is just not optimal.

Regular heroics are actually usually higher VP and JP/hour due to them being really easy and done very quickly. Even HoO is done in half an hour nowadays.

even in ZG/ZA you still can silence adds, but still i will remove it and have incite instead.
    i got tb trinket, and aiming for the mastery trinket from spider boss in FL,
    On the coming reset, i will check again full mastery, our old good healers are back from vacation, will check that with them..
    I never said block is not prio, block is amazing for us
    May i ask you kindly to link your armory ?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rugly/advanced

Spec is kinda funky since we were doing rhyolith hc (normally 3/3 incite)

@Pyrea: Can do ZA/ZG in 30 min if you're fast, regular heroics are more vp/hour lol sry but i don't see that with deadmines and grim batol.
    Last edited by Bigbad; 09-06-2011 at 03:16 AM.

same thinking as Bigbad, za/zg does not take more than 20-25 min..,, and heeey way better gear than me !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rugly/advanced

Spec is kinda funky since we were doing rhyolith hc (normally 3/3 incite)

@Pyrea: Can do ZA/ZG in 30 min if you're fast, regular heroics are more vp/hour lol sry but i don't see that with deadmines and grim batol.
    If you are queueing alone, and do not have a guild group going, you can spend a lot longer than 30 mins in ZA or ZG.

If you are queueing alone, and do not have a guild group going, you can spend a lot longer than 15 mins in deadmines or grim batol.

The amount of fail is sometimes pretty high in lfg but most of the time i can carry the group through a troll hc, even on an alt, with bad players it just takes 5-10 min longer and unless there is some major retardedness going on you won't wipe.

back to the subject ppl.. stats.,, tanking ,,

You can definitely afford to drop the 3 101 stamina gems for 3 67 mastery gems, 180k unbuffed is totally overkill for heroic T12 content. The only boss with a decent magical burst is Beth'tilac, and you should have a cooldown up when tanking after 25 stacks at the latest anyway. I would also strongly consider the Tol'Barad trinket. Its use effect effectively reduces your magical damage taken by 50% for the duration, on a 60 second cooldown (note that it does not work against Beth'tilac's Ember Flare). That can go a very long way towards reducing the spikes you are sacrificing physical mitigation for.

I was going to say, 180k unbuffed? Where is this coming from? lol
    Mastery is your bff. Get those JC mastery jems like Pyrea said and you'll be sitting in a lower health pool, but with the mitigation you'll hardly notice.

you can tank every normal mode boss with with no more than 167k hp unbuffed. hell i've been to 27Stacks of alyz's debuff and lived, i've been through the entir duration of widows kiss with 167k and lived.

+ Reply to Thread