+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heroic Leap uses for a prot warrior

Heroic Leap uses for a prot warrior

I've been thinking of ways to get some use out of the damage and mobility of Heroic Leap as a prot warrior beyond just getting out of fires recently. Had a dull and boring Saturday today so I made a silly little video showing off three useful things.

I'd love to hear if people have more interesting uses for Heroic Leap or other prot warrior mobility tricks

1. HL to worm on Alysrazor (2x per rotation) when nearing/in tantrum. Just make sure you are on the opposite side of the flame enema.

2. HL + Intervene when kiting Riplimb if he makes it to Shannox too early (or HL away from the spear when thrown so Rip chases you then runs back)

Not for Prot:

1. HL out of the raid on Domo with seeds @3 seconds, then intercept back in for minimal down time.

2. HL on Chimeron for group up/break out for less downtime

3. HL out of the raid with Lightning Rod on council, then intercept back in.

Pretty much HL anytime you need to get away fast, so you can stay in longer. Intercept/charge will bring you back in.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

a) you're sitting in a group of mobs and have all your regular stuns and interrupts on cooldown: HL, Intercept
    b) you're likely to die soon: HL (Shockwave or PH before HL will help increasing the gap)

HL on rag P2 to avoid seed damage and to get to where ever you are stacking. you can do it every other seed

On your first tip:
    It also works to HL first, then Charge (as HL is a bit slower & Charge is faster to use). Especially in non-CC heroics to pull with, HL dmg will give you the time to Rend+Clap before you lose aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    On your first tip:
    It also works to HL first, then Charge (as HL is a bit slower & Charge is faster to use). Especially in non-CC heroics to pull with, HL dmg will give you the time to Rend+Clap before you lose aggro.
    works great. especially with my keybindings. although it seems to be a little glitchy?

I assume you mean you get pathing issues?
    Considering HL is at least as restricting as Charge, it shouldn't provide a whole lot of issues. But it does look funny to jump in the air and halfway get sucked to the grund like a brick right before you run the rest in Speedy Gonzales style

I quite like your charge+leap simultaneous tricks - how reliable are they? I can imagine that timing is tricky? I'll certainly try those out.

Note that heroic leap also has some extra limitations above charge pathing (can't find blue post at the moment) - basically if you target somewhere more than X units of height higher than your starting position then it'll fail, as a protection against warriors leaping to unintended places. Leaping uphill is not an option.

Some things I've used leap for:
    - ZA, trash towards dragonhawk - leap the dragonhawk trainer and his pack of birdthings, charge the scout behind him. No rocket science, but it trivialises an otherwise tricky pull
    - Also ZA, at the dragonhawk I use heroic leap in a rotation of tc-sw-tc-hl-tc to pick up the spawning hawks, although you can just as well use cleave for that
    - I have used heroic leap to do some epic meatball dodging at ragnaros (although be careful, as I've also triggered an explosion by trying to leap *through* a meatball).
    - Leap away from staghelm in scorpion form on transition

As I said earlier swelt, it's easier to Leap + Charge, because you get about half a second to charge if you leap from max range and it's pretty easy to charge straight after targetting.

Leap + Intervene + Charge got me from add drop point to Cho'Gall in 3 seconds last time, including having to go around the middle platform (seriously hate that thing, especially because my guild doesn't aim for hard modes, thus don't need the freakin' door).

I also Leap in ZG to get past the fire breathers faster, use it once on panther to get across the room, else it's easier for me to run in and Clap (spread Rend + debuff at once and does enough initial damage to keep them on me). Leap on zanzil's fire adds ofcourse, and occasionally on Jindo if the ranged are tunnel visioning the chains again (or worse: the big guy)

It's also useful on Shannox to jump over traps. Not much more I can think of in Firelands.

Yea, that's fine if you are going towards... the tricks at the end of the vid involved charging one way while leaping the other (to stun and kite), it was the exact timing and reliability of that I was concerned about. It looks as though you could easily get that wrong through timing or targetting issues with the heroic leap.

H Shannox : 1 out of 2 spear : HL -> Charge/Intervene
    H Rhyolith : ~1 out of 2 adds pickup, and quick placement as p2 starts
    H Beth'tilac : quickly positioning the drone when someone gets fixate, or on top to move the boss for the melee dps (jumping over a hole), also quick positioning in p2
    H Alysrazor : quickly moving to the second worm when the adds get unhappy/enraged
    H Baleroc : with tight placement in 25, I stand on the other side of the boss and leap in position so the boss doesn't move
    H Domo : quick placement for our orb soaking strat
    H Rag : ???
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/undermine/Veksen/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    It looks as though you could easily get that wrong through timing or targetting issues with the heroic leap.
    Usually works quite well as long as you trigger the leap before the charge finishes, the tricky bit is aiming the targeting circle fast enough. The game is a little inconsistent with when it actually registers where you are while charging an leaping around, I suppose lag is part of that but it seems to be generally dodgy as well.

How useful that particular move is is questionable of course, I mostly use it to interrupt casters in heroics now and then because it's fun and looks cool, but it comes in handy if you're carrying the flag in BGs and want to stop pursuing casters from getting things like fears and frost bolts off when throw and spell reflect are on CD.

Airowird's suggestion to use Leap before Charge on pulls is excellent btw so thanks for that, it makes it feel much smoother.

I find heroic leap is a bit more reliable if you jump and use it in midair. I've found jump-hl-charge to be a fun opener in 5 mans and trash at least. Anything to make the trash more interesting...

It seems to ease, although it does not eliminate, some of the pathing issues. "Positive" elevation net gains, such as the floor of malacrass' room to the raised area in front of each entrance, are also possible by pre-jumping.

I like using it to get ahead of the raid group and avoiding poop on the ground. Other then that I hardly ever use it.

+ Reply to Thread